BoxOfficeZ

Wednesday: Minions 11.1, IO 2.6, JW 2.2

Ehh weren't you the one saying 50 plus drop last weekend too? And couldn't increase from a 2.4 million Thursday to 4 million on Friday? Terminator Genisys will still likely be in over 2,500 screens that's plenty and is much more competition for Jurassic World than Terminator Genisys. If you haven't noticed already Terminator Genisys isn't getting much of a teen or early 20 something crowds that will go see something like Ant-Man.

because of 2 week rule TG was able to hold on to screens last week. It did better than expected. We will know fur sure tomorrow. its 2 week is done. Even thursday show count will be lower. so I see 10%+ drop today.

because of 2 week rule TG was able to hold on to screens last week. It did better than expected. We will know fur sure tomorrow. its 2 week is done. Even thursday show count will be lower. so I see 10%+ drop today.

I expect Terminator Genisys to only do around 1.2  million on Thursday. But I think it will jump up to around 2.-2.2 million Friday, 2.8 million Saturday and 2 million Sunday. Like it or not, but Terminator Genisys isn't totally bombing out so there not going to pull that many screens so fast(800-1,200 I'm guessing). Yes it will lose a large number, but it's still going to be showing at most theaters every 2-3 hours at least. Going off my local theaters show-times this weekend, it seems like Jurassic World is taking a similar or slightly bigger hit in screen loses then Terminator Genisys this weekend. Overall I'm sure Genisys number will be higher(especially since it was already in 300 more screens then Jurassic World). But impact on both movies should be similar. Even though I think Ant-Man is more Jurassic World audience than the one that's been seeing Terminator. While the majority of the rest of Ant-Man screens will likely come from something like Max which was still playing on 2,000 screens this week.

Edited by gb0708

TG will do $20.5M in its second week. It needs to have 45.7% weekly drops from here on to reach 100M.

So if it can manage to drop 45% this week, I think it will comfortably get past 100M.

If it drops 50% this week, it will need 41.8% drops thereafter to reach 100M. In such a scenario, it should still reach there, but it will be a crawl and might require a bit of fudge.

If it drops 55% this week, it will need 37.6% drops thereafter to reach 100M, making it unlikely, but not impossible.

Any drop bigger than that, and bye bye 100M.

• Like 1

TG will do $20.5M in its second week. It needs to have 45.7% weekly drops from here on to reach 100M.

So if it can manage to drop 45% this week, I think it will comfortably get past 100M.

If it drops 50% this week, it will need 41.8% drops thereafter to reach 100M. In such a scenario, it should still reach there, but it will be a crawl and might require a bit of fudge.

If it drops 55% this week, it will need 37.6% drops thereafter to reach 100M, making it unlikely, but not impossible.

Any drop bigger than that, and bye bye 100M.

I think that is the most likely scenario. Unless it really starts to struggle over the next 10-11 days.

nice for JW : could cross 600M DOM by Thursday !

It needs 2.2m+ for that to happen. Anything lower than that and its going to be 599m, so unfortunately it's not happening, unless a miracle happens and it actually goes up on thursday.

It's tough to imagine a 1st Friday for Minions smaller than 1st Tuesday(16.8). That hasn't happened for TS3, DM2, IO or Cars 2 for that matter.

11.5m Thu,

17(+47.8%) + 22.1(+30%) + 16.57(-25%) = 55.67m

So 55m+ looks likely.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Yeah I just saw Edge of Tomorrow was at 96.6 million after it's 7th weekend last summer. Then it was kept on 100-400 screens for another 7-8 weeks to make it to 100 million as well.

While studios want their movies to reach that important $100M milestone (advantageous in cable TV rights?), do they realize they are also giving up higher percentage of the gross revenue to the theaters as the movies play on?

And lol at some of you trying to make it look like Minions is crumbling when no one said anything when IO had a first Wednesday drop that was only 5% lighter. Minions first Tuesday hold was 6% higher, so it evens out perfectly. They're having extremely similar first week holds, which is why Minions is probably in for only a 40-45% drop this weekend like IO's 2nd weekend.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 6

And lol at some of you trying to make it look like Minions is crumbling when no one said anything when IO had a first Wednesday drop that was only 5% lighter. Minions first Tuesday hold was 6% higher, so it evens out perfectly. They're having extremely similar first week holds, which is why Minions is probably in for only a 40-45% drop this weekend like IO's 2nd weekend.

Yea the bias against Minions here is getting a bit much.

• Like 3

not completely :)

In my opinion it was predictable
Inside Out
Tuesday + 24.1%
Wednesday - 28.1%

Minions they follow a similar path :)

- 34% for Minions?!?

TOXIC WOM!!!

Edited by abra
  • Like 1

I think it's too early to judge Minions having good holds or bad ones. Some movies hold pretty well in their first 2 weeks then crash and burn in later weeks. On the other hand, some holds pretty terrible in the 1st week but have quite amazing late legs.

Edited by bladels

Yea the bias against Minions here is getting a bit much.

I mean I'm sure IO is a far better film than Minions (though I haven't seen the latter), but some here are acting like Minions is Batman and Robin. I'm sure it's just fine as a movie aimed at the 10 and under crowd. Not all animation has to be for everyone. The best ones are, but it's perfectly OK for there to be ones that are made squarely for kids now and then. I can't imagine it's on the level of awfulness of something like Shrek 3, and that dumb thing broke records that still stand. So it could be much worse.

• Like 2

Aren't July weekdays grosses bigger than those from June? With increases from Fridays to Saturdays smaller than in June...

Edited by tupek