WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

20150717_192002.jpg

I was hoping Ant-Man would play with AOU or Jurassic World here cause I want to watch both again but the three drive ins near me are playing Max and San Andreas together, Max and Minions together, and Max and Terminator Genisys together.

IO is cheating on JW.

Yeah, it's funny that they are both so tight but I don't remember people talking about double-features of those two.

I just assumed it would be Minions-JW and IO-Ant-Man because of the studios, but appearantly that's not a major concern?

Anyway, I guess both IO and JW profit.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

Nope. Family movies jump 45-50% at times. This will too on Saturday.

You're ignoring your comps. Look at Pixar movies. Look at the other Despicable Me movies. 45-50% isn't happening. It hasn't happened.

• Like 1

You're ignoring your comps. Look at Pixar movies. Look at the other Despicable Me movies. 45-50% isn't happening. It hasn't happened.

How do you explain minions jumped bigger than those titles from Thursday to Friday?
  • Like 3

Animated films in July tend to jump about 25-30% on their second Saturdays. That probably puts Minions in the range of 19-21 for tomorrow, given the 15-16 for today. Best case scenario is probably 55 for the weekend.

Hopefully the $3.5M sticks for JW. That would lead to the second consecutive sub-40% drop for the weekend, which means the hopes of beating Titanic is still alive.

I'd say with that Friday, Titanic is officially toast. It will make 1m+ more than Avenger's 6th weekend, and that still had 51m to gross after that. 612+51 is 663m. JW might still have another 60m in the tank after this weekend with the way it's holding.

• Like 2

I'd say with that Friday, Titanic is officially toast. It will make 1m+ more than Avenger's 6th weekend, and that still had 51m to gross after that. 612+51 is 663m. JW might still have another 60m in the tank after this weekend with the way it's holding.

I don't think it's a slam dunk, but if this weekend pushes JW to $612M (thinking it will be closer to $611M) I think Universal will find a way to push this over Titanic's domestic total. That's a historical opportunity you might never get again, at least until inflation kicks in.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 3

It's still early as Gopher said. But keep in mind TA1 was at $618m with fewer than 125 theaters (and its run was basically dead) when Disney expanded it to over 1700 theaters. That expansion boosted the gross by $5m. I do not expect Universal to do anything like that for JP4 unless it can legitimately get to $655m on its own.

• Like 2