WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

I rarely buy movies anymore, with so many movies and shows to catch up on I don't have time to rewatch them.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, plus I collected so many Blu-ray movies that I'm pretty much out of space for new ones. Haven't bought a Blu-ray in over a year even though there were plenty of movies that I normally would've bought (Winter Soldier, Guardians, Apes, Interstellar, Birdman just to name a handful). I look at my current Blu-ray collection of over 100 and realize I pretty much never watch any of them, so why bother buying new ones?

• Like 1

Except George Lucas and Steven Spielberg haven't got a clue as to what they're talking about there. 

And I like how George Lucas uses Red Tails as an example of a movie almost not making it to theaters.  The reason why that movie almost didn't make it to theaters was because it was godawful.

But I agree with them, though. I think that in 15 years or so;

many cinemas will shut down,

the few that remain will feature gargantuan IMAX screens,

only huge blockbusters will be released and they'll play for a year,

ticket prices will skyrocket,

The cinema will be seen as an event

smaller movies will only be available through home media which would have fully transitioned online.

Technology will have evolved to make filmmaking so Easy that anyone could do it. More visions from more people will lead to a slew of brilliant movies, and many movies so bad their good.

only huge blockbusters will be released and they'll play for a year,

The cinema will be seen as an event

These two seem like mutually exclusive ideas. If it's playing for a year it couldn't possibly be an event

Indie movies will release on VOD the same day as theaters within 10 years, otherwise I don't see much changing. There will always be a market for people to see movies on the big screen no matter the genre.

You'll always have people who like to collect things that are tangible, including movie and music discs. Unfortunately as the times change those people become the minority and will have to adapt to digital streaming. I confess, I love physically owning a movie I like. I like art on the packaging and everything.

These two seem like mutually exclusive ideas. If it's playing for a year it couldn't possibly be an event

It'll be like going to the theatre. Because you only rarely go, actually going to the theatre to see a play becomes an event.

• Like 1