Gopher

Tuesday #s | Minions 8M, Ant-Man 7.8M, TW 4.2M, JW 1.7M Down goes Avengers! JW #3 WW!

Any projections this weekend on Trainwreck? Still hopeful for a 36% drop or less.

For this weekend, I'm thinking

1. Pixels: $38 million (enough kids will get it $30m+ I think) 
  2. Paper Towns: $34 million 
  3. Ant-Man: $27 million ($110 million) 
  4. Minions: $25 million ($264 million)
  5. Trainwreck: $22 million ($65 million) 
  6. Southpaw: $11 million 
  7. Inside Out: $8.5 million ($321 million) 
  8. Jurassic World: $8 million ($624 million)
  9. Terminator Genysis: $3 million ($86 million)
  10. Magic Mike XXL: $3 million ($64 million) 
Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

When the guys over at ESPN try to write about boxoffice:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/marvels-run-crushes-hollywoods-most-epic-winning-streaks/

Btw, Disney owns ESPN.

Let's be honest, no one understands box office trends and tracking better than the guys that run boxoffice.com and the more savvy posters on these forums. We're pretty fucking spoiled here.

• Like 2

For this weekend, I'm thinking

1. Pixels: $38 million (enough kids will get it $30m+ I think) 
  2. Paper Towns: $34 million 
  3. Ant-Man: $27 million ($110 million) 
  4. Minions: $25 million ($264 million)
  5. Trainwreck: $22 million ($65 million) 
  6. Southpaw: $11 million 
  7. Inside Out: $8.5 million ($321 million) 
  8. Jurassic World: $8 million ($624 million)
  9. Terminator Genysis: $3 million ($86 million)
  10. Magic Mike XXL: $3 million ($64 million) 

I hope Ant-Man doesn't drop that much, i really enjoyed it.

Yeah, remember the stock analyst who predicted Catching Fire was going to top TA1's OW and/or make $1B WW? And when its OW "underperformed", Lionsgate's stock price dropped?

People who have no business predicting this stuff are going to say The Force Awakens is a shoo-in for $2B WW, if not actually beating Avatar WW. Just watch.

• Like 1

Tuesday increases this summer have been ridiculous. Are people just waiting for a Tuesday so they can watch movies for cheap? Good strategy for sure.

I try to do that every week. Too expensive to justify seeing all the movies I want to see at full price with what I'm making. Wednesday also has cheap movies near me, which is nice when there is a backlog of movies I want to watch.
  • Like 1

Let's be honest, no one understands box office trends and tracking better than the guys that run boxoffice.com and the more savvy posters on these forums. We're pretty fucking spoiled here.

I was really hoping for some data in that piece when I saw it yesterday, especially coming from fivethirtyeight--even just a simple won-loss chart for each franchise, which probably would have led to some analysis of Nemesis losing out to Maid in Manhattan by $200K. It's amusing to me that less than 40,000 people (on average) are the difference between two current streaks of this rather spurious record.

• Like 1

What's Pixels tracking at? Paper Towns? Both tracking over $30M?

A Variety article in another thread is expecting both to be in the $20's, stating it expects Ant-Man could repeat as #1 if whatever tracking they are looking at holds close to right. 

• Like 1

They sure are pushing premium showings of Ant-Man locally. The 6 largest theaters around me have more show times for IMAX and Real3D than standard showings. Makes sense to watch it on Tuesdays with the discount.