Gopher

Tuesday #s | Minions 8M, Ant-Man 7.8M, TW 4.2M, JW 1.7M Down goes Avengers! JW #3 WW!

Antman is doing...rather predictably.

It's not that exciting.

Trainwreck is doing above perhaps initial expectations so you got me there.

i agree with you on Ant-Man but it's holding power on the dailies surprises me, and Trainwreck is doing fine it's doing what I hoped for.

I've gone through the calculations for JW. I'm thinking it will pass Avengers on Sunday ($623.5M on day 45), hit $626M the following Thursday (day 49), and it should be passed by Avatar on the following Monday (day 53). So ultimately, not that anybody cares, Jurassic World will probably record the highest 2-day, 3-day, etc. all the way up to 52-day grosses. 53 and up all belong to Avatar, and 1-day obviously belongs to Deathly Hallows 2.

Also, for the past week or so, I keep projecting that JW will end up with $660M based on how much TA earned following the same respective day, but it's not likely it will get there since summer weekdays will fall out of play sooner. I'm thinking a $650M finish unless Universal wants to give it a mini re-release just to beat Titanic.

Also, JW still has yet to be released in Japan, so it should reach $950M OS. $650M + $950M = Final WW gross of $1.6B.

Does this all sound about right?

I hope Universal does everything it can to make JW beat Titanic.

• Like 1

Universal seems to not really care about such milestones, so unless JW gets within $2-3m of Titanic by itself, I don't see them pushing it above Titanic.

JW did pass Titanic unadjusted figure without re-release, $600M. The 3D re-release added about $57M to Titanic final gross.

• Like 1

I've gone through the calculations for JW. I'm thinking it will pass Avengers on Sunday ($623.5M on day 45), hit $626M the following Thursday (day 49), and it should be passed by Avatar on the following Monday (day 53). So ultimately, not that anybody cares, Jurassic World will probably record the highest 2-day, 3-day, etc. all the way up to 52-day grosses. 53 and up all belong to Avatar, and 1-day obviously belongs to Deathly Hallows 2.

Also, for the past week or so, I keep projecting that JW will end up with $660M based on how much TA earned following the same respective day, but it's not likely it will get there since summer weekdays will fall out of play sooner. I'm thinking a $650M finish unless Universal wants to give it a mini re-release just to beat Titanic.

Also, JW still has yet to be released in Japan, so it should reach $950M OS. $650M + $950M = Final WW gross of $1.6B.

Does this all sound about right?

Sounds great to me. I don't see it passing Titanic, but even after it's first weekend most didn't see it beating Avengers or getting over 600m dom and 1.5B ww. 

What great fun it's been to follow this movie's box office run.

• Like 1

Any projections this weekend on Trainwreck? Still hopeful for a 36% drop or less.

Just curious :) ...why did you zero in on 36% say as opposed to 35% which is a more round figure. Are you comparing it with another movie?

Btw, I am betting on a sub-35% drop.

• Like 1

Man I'd thought that Trainwreck would jump more. Oh well can't really complain about its run so far.

I think it's going to be steady. No big jump on Tue, no big drop on Wed. Tomorrow it will seem great ^_^