grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Minions reminds me of FF7.

A very much growing franchise with a massive opening weekend, relatively large drop (FF7 had like a 2.5 multiple i think), great DOM finish. And growing OS returns.

Did audiences hate them? No. Did they go nuts over them saying they are the best films ever? No.

Did they like them? Yes. Did they lead their franchises to bigger WW grosses? Yes.

Will Minions hit 1 B WW just as FF7 did? Good possibility for Minions despite the drops DOM

• Like 2

Films I will see in the cinema this year -- Maggie Southpaw Love & Mercy Paper Towns Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation A LEGO Brickumentary Fantastic Four Ricki & The Flash The Man From UNCLE Straight Outta Compton American Ultra Hitman: Agent 47 Jane Got a Gun The Transporter Refuelled A Walk In The Woods Black Mass Captive Everest Maze Runner Scorch Trials Hotel Transylvania 2 Stonewall The Martian Legend The Walk Adam Jones Steve Jobs Pan Bridge of Spies Crimson Peak Goosebumps Rock the Kasbah Scouts vs. Zombies The Peanuts Movie Spectre Trumbo By the Sea Mockingjay part 2 Creed The Good Dinosaur Midnight Special Seth Rogen Christmas movie Victor Frankenstein The Danish Girl In the Heart of the Sea Sisters Point Break Snowden Joy STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS and I'll see a bunch of others too no doubt. there, plenty of movies coming up before the end of the year! :) I don't have the money to see that many films in the cinema. I catch up on most my movies through streaming.
Yeah that's fair enough. America needs to get unlimited cinema subscriptions like we have here! :P It means I see about 3 movies a week atm.
  • Like 1

Minions managed to be even worse than I imagined. Paul Blart 2 had more creative jokes

Forgive me, I must have missed the jokes about Stanley Kubrick in Paul Blart, the jokes about the socio-economic status of 1960s America...

Id pay at least $70 if it meant and unlimited film subscription every month. I know I spend at least that every months. I go to the movies at least once a week more likely twice a week. So taking into account that Tuesday is only about six dollars that is still at least 60 or 70 dollars a month.

• Like 3

Unlimited subscription costs $25/month here. Regular price of a ticket is $15 and we don't even have a cheap day like you guys do.

For regular cinemagoers it's a ridiculously good deal.

Unlimited subscription costs $25/month here. Regular price of a ticket is $15 and we don't even have a cheap day like you guys do.

For regular cinemagoers it's a ridiculously good deal.

I got my money's worth yesterday alone with Jurassic World and Inside Out. I love cineworld.
  • Like 1

The bad openers and the shooting killing the business...
I don't even think the shooting is having much effect. Pixels and Paper Towns were never gonna be big, they are performing as I expected. Ant Man is having the usual Marvel drop and Minions is just showing it's front loaded like the previous film.
  • Like 1

Cinemascore:

Pixels: B

Papae towns: B+

Southpaw: A

RT:

Pixels: 19%                     Audience: 59%

Paper towns: 60%          Audience:71%

Southpaw: 57%              Audience:80%

I have been much annoyed with the anti-Minions talk that it keeps getting with every disappointing number, but it's honestly been doing quite poorly.

I don't think there's been any animated film that dropped 55% in consecutive weekends following opening weekend. 

The weekdays have also been so weak that it's already behind Inside Out and Despicable Me 2.

Haven't seen the film, but clearly it should have been better if WOM is so weak. Illumination following Shrek and Dreamworks to a tee.

They better buck up because unlike Dreamworks, their animation is also pretty poor and they don't even have much of a library to fall on once Despicable Me is spent. The Lorax was bad and Hop, awful. 

• Like 1

I have been much annoyed with the anti-Minions talk that it keeps getting with every disappointing number, but it's honestly been doing quite poorly.

I don't think there's been any animated film that dropped 55% in consecutive weekends following opening weekend. 

The weekdays have also been so weak that it's already behind Inside Out and Despicable Me 2.

Haven't seen the film, but clearly it should have been better if WOM is so weak. Illumination following Shrek and Dreamworks to a tee.

They better buck up because unlike Dreamworks, their animation is also pretty poor and they don't even have much of a library to fall on once Despicable Me is spent. The Lorax was bad and Hop, awful. 

Illumination has Pets coming next year and they'll no doubt turn that into a franchise if it hits, which it probably will. They've also got another project in the works for next Christmas.

Only three 200 M films so far this summer.

You mean four, right? I think you're forgetting Avengers :)

Edited by Tree-5000

Illumination has Pets coming next year and they'll no doubt turn that into a franchise if it hits, which it probably will. They've also got another project in the works for next Christmas.

You mean four, right? I think you're forgetting Avengers :)

Wait, A: AOU, JW and IO, there three.

I really thought Ant-Man would blaze past 200M and if Ted 2 wasn't awful then it would make it too. Jurassic World aside, this summer hasn't been all that.

Edited by Tree-5000

This summer it seems like a few movies over-performed big time but pretty much everything else under performed, so instead of having a lot of decent sized hits you either had a major breakout or a disappointment.

There are a few exceptions though... IDK if I'd consider Minions "a disappointment" just because it's not holding well, still gonna make serious bank for Universal. And Ant-Man is only disappointing if you compare it to the rest of the MCU roster.

Edited by JennaJ