Gopher

Tuesday #s: Inside a Pixelated Trainwreck in a Paper Towns World by Ant-Man's Minions using their Southpaws

And people like to forget between all these hits she had the flops All About Steve and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. She is a draw in the right product, like everybody else. 

All About Steve had an impressive opening on her name alone, despite looking and smelling like shit. Extremely Close did not feature her prominently in the marketing and it was too small and Oscar bait-y anyway. She has been the most legit and reliable BO powerhouse actor for some time now.

• Like 2

All About Steve had an impressive opening on her name alone, despite looking and smelling like shit. Extremely Close did not feature her prominently in the marketing and it was too small and Oscar bait-y anyway. She has been the most legit and reliable BO powerhouse actor for some time now.

I don't think you can attribute her success because of her box office personality. She just has a very good agent who put her in a string of very good, high profile, highly commercial projects. 

Edited by zackzack

I don't think you can attribute her success because of her box office personality. She just has a very good agent who put her in a string of very good, high profile, highly commercial projects. 

Her agent is good no doubt (except when that sensory lapse occurred with All About Steve) but people enjoy watching her on screen. After The Proposal/The Blind Side one-two punch, folks expect sufficient quality from her films or have the reassurance that if nothing else, at least she would be appealing. Not being as limited as Depp also helps a lot of course. 

Also, Gravity was in no way considered to be "highly commercial".

• Like 3

Summers are starting to end.

My school district and a couple of others go back next week. The others in metro Atlanta go back the week after.

Looking at the past few years there are maybe 2 more weeks of decent weekdays before they really drop.

That's IO's worst Tuesday increase in its run so far - though its slightly higher than TS3 day 40 and about 15% higher than DM2 same Tuesday (day 42).

If Sandra Bullock is not a, maybe even THE box office draw right now, I don't think you can make a case that any one is. First, as someone else said, Gravity was a HUGE risk that paid off in folds. Sandra put a lot of people in those seats who were not the demo. Award season and great reviews certainly helped, but even a majority of the reviews raved about her performance. But I think you need to look no further than The Proposal and The Blind Side to see what she can do. Those two films were sold on her and her alone. Women my moms age (late 40's/early 50s) adore her and will see essentially anything she's in which is the definition of a draw.

I don't really think ELAIC can specifically be targeted to her, as her role wa supporting at best. And All About Steve was an atrocious film that I very seriously doubt would have gotten anywhere near 30 million dollars without a highly recognizable lead. Those are certainly her biggest misfires of the past five years but even her consistency of the last 10-15 years shows that in most of her vehicles she is a huge draw. Very few female leads can get romantic comedies/dramas consistently in the 50-60 million dollar range and she has done that time and time again.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

A well-liked actor can open a piece of shit movie, but they can't sustain it.

This goes back to at least the 80s. Best Defense opened at #2 (behind Ghostbusters repeating) off of Eddie Murphy. When people found out it was a piece of shit, and that Eddie Murphy was barely in the movie (he was edited into the movie which had already been finished, IIRC), they rejected it and it tanked. (I believe it may have been a record 2nd weekend drop at the time?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I still think Tom cruise is one of the last or even the last box office draw, no his film does not 1b dollar each time but they never flop either.

In france for exemple i think he is one of the last who can attract from his name only (american actor ).

• Like 1

Ant-man's looking at a good drop for the weekend. 160M+ is definitely doable. 

Between weak challengers last weekend and Ant-Man finishing #1 two weeks in a row with a solid RT score it seems the good WOM factor could be showing for this film now. It didn't win any week days the weekend after it opened, but now has won both Mon & Tue this week so far.

I do see $160m as happening depending on how MI:RN does. If that sucks all the energy away for a few weeks that could change but we'll see. 

Sandra Bullock has done nothing but set the box office on fire since 2009. 

With a PG-13 romcom - The Proposal 

With a drama - The Blind Side 

With an R-rated comedy - The Heat 

With a "sci-fi" thriller - Gravity 

And now with a kids movie - Minions 

Truly one of the biggest and most surprising comebacks in film history and no, I'm not exaggerating 

post-48842-sandra-bullock-hot-walking-gi

LOVE THIS POST.

She was always a solid draw when combined with a decent and appealing premise, that stupid dumb movie Premonition made 50M in 2007 and she was the lead.

And people like to forget between all these hits she had the flops All About Steve and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. She is a draw in the right product, like everybody else. 

EL&IC had no mainstream commercial potential. Saying she's not a consistent draw because of that would be like saying Garth Brooks did not have consistent draw as a recording artist because his Chris Gaines concept album disappointed.

Similarly AAS made as much as a low rent comedy like that with that level of marketing could make, and it pulled a 3x multi.

Warner Bros. reports that VACATION earned $1.2M from Tuesday's early shows. #Vacation

Pretty good, especially since this will be a casual walkup/WOM kind of film. Mid 20s 5 day should happen at the very least 

Edited by mahnamahna

I still think Tom cruise is one of the last or even the last box office draw, no his film does not 1b dollar each time but they never flop either.

In france for exemple i think he is one of the last who can attract from his name only (american actor ).

Domestically, at least, Denzel is super consistent. Pretty much every film he does is sold on his name.

As far as Bullock, though, what's super impressive is that her Proposal/Blind Side year in 2009 happened after she was basically absent from the screen for two years. It was like she retired and then came back, bigger than ever. And then she disappeared and did it all over again in 2013, in almost exactly the same way.

• Like 1