Gopher

Thursday #s: The Tom Before The Cruise

For MI5, I expect a solid-but-not-spectacular opening (high 50's) but awesome WOM to follow for kick-ass legs : 190/200M DOM

the movie will win overseas, no doubt about that :

People are begging for a great action movie and JW is already old:) + add Tom Cruise star power... : 600M OS

750/800 WW cume grand total.

tom-cruise-triple-laugh.jpg

Edited by TacoBell

Keith's Vacation prediction is 29m.

"This Ed Helms/Christina Applegate starrer is on track for a $29M weekend. Bad reviews, it has a 26% on the Tomatometer, 5.9/10 on IMDb and a Metascore of 33/100, appear to have scuttled what has been a fairly brilliant series of trailers and clips. It has already banked $3.8M from its Tuesday and Wednesday opening."

Felt it was on track to barely 20m for 5-days.

Even if it has a 50% jump on both Fri and Sat followed by a 25% drop.

3.38 + 5 + 3.75 = 12.13m.

Looking at the MI5 feedback here, 3.0x seems very likely.

EoT did 3.48x (100.20/28.76).

But it was not a sequel. It opened small and yet fell a bit short of 3.5x, so I don't feel MI5 can do that.

MI3 did 2.8x with a May ow.

Dawn of Planets did 2.87x but it opened big.

3.0x (maybe 3.2x?) could happen for MI5.

With 3.2x it would need a ~47m ow to touch 150m.

Edited by a2k

2.8-3.0x is reasonable to expect. Weekdays will start getting weaker now, so anything over 3x would be too much to expect from a sequel, even with very good WOM (as the case seems to be).

However the assertion also holds true that higher the opening, more difficult it is to achieve a certain multiplier. Therefore the totals I see with various openings would be:

40m/125m

50m/150m

60m/175m

70m/200m

80m/225m

90m/250m

• Like 1

I hope End of the Tour does well in limited release. Pondsoldt is a really cool director, and I'm really hyped to see Segel's performance in this, though. And that's coming from someone not really familiar with DFW's works.

• Like 1