Gopher

Wednesday #s: Eight Fresh Releases This Weekend and Fantastic Four Edition

Not really, having children was largely responsible for Fonda's decision to leave the acting business. Also, she wasn't interested in eventually getting typecasted as older mothers.

I know that, but I wouldn't be surprised if starring in a colossal bomb like Monkeybone made the decision to give up acting much easier for her.

I bumped Shaun up a bit. 

I think these movies really don't need US auds at all but as a huge fan of the studio I wish they would have *one* more worldwide hit. Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit made SO MUCH MONEY relative to their budgets. 

• Like 3

Shaun has a very real chance to get a nomination for Best Animated Feature. The movie is indeed very good and is a near lock for an Oscar nomination. The Acad's animation branch loves european cartoons esp. stop motion.

I know that, but I wouldn't be surprised if starring in a colossal bomb like Monkeybone made the decision to give up acting much easier for her.

Well, it probably made for a good excuse for her to quit.

Shaun the Sheep looks very funny and cute, like everything Aardman does. And of course, like all of their properties since the big success of Chicken Run, it won't find much of an audience here. Go figure.

Sadly Aardman can't seem to find much of an audience, outside of their native U.K.

I do really wish their movies would get better marketing though. Shaun, in particular probably could have at least done around Boxtrolls / Paranorman numbers if marketing was actually "good", and didn't feel like it was done at the last minute (Lionsgate really sucks when it comes to marketing the films they pick-up for distribution).

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 2

I do really wish their movies would get better marketing though. Shaun, in particular probably could have at least done around Boxtrolls / Paranorman numbers if marketing was actually "good", and didn't feel like it was done at the last minute.

I think Shaun got a fine release. I'm kinda glad it went wide at all. It's targeting five year olds, younger demo than even Arthur Christmas or Pirates! Band of Misfits. 

I admire how consistent Laika is commercially. They make really weird kids movies by today's Hollywood standards (shoutout to 2014's best villain, Ben Kingsley's Snatcher) and they always make more than 50 mil. So long as Universal keeps them afloat for a new movie ever two years they'll probably keep pulling the same. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

I think Shaun got a fine release. I'm kinda glad it went wide at all. It's targeting five year olds, younger demo than even Arthur Christmas or Pirates! Band of Misfits. 

I admire how consistent Laika is commercially. They make really weird kids movies by today's Hollywood standards (shoutout to 2014's best villain, Ben Kingsley's Snatcher) and they always make more than 50 mil. So long as Universal keeps them afloat for a new movie ever two years they'll probably keep pulling the same. 

I think Shaun's release date is fine, the problem is, is that Lionsgate decided to really start marketing the film now, with a real lack of advertising, even on kids channels.

It could have okay legs, but Shaun could have at least opened a little bit better (it could still do okay, maybe even have a little bit of a boost over the weekend, hey stranger things have happened), if marketing was good. Plus I don't know what the heck they were thinking by releasing it on a Wednesday.

Edited by Insidearcher

Arthur Christmas's box office performance is legitimately tragic. Deserves to be a family Holiday classic.

It did okay, but it could have done so much better I agree. Being released the same weekend as The Muppets and Hugo (both films also targeting families), probably didn't help.

It did okay, but it could have done so much better I agree. Being released the same weekend as The Muppets and Hugo (both films also targeting families), probably didn't help.

It only made $147m WW and cost $100m to make. They had to take a sizable loss on it. I have no idea how it ever did on home video formats. I'd hope better.

It only made $147m WW and cost $100m to make. They had to take a sizable loss on it. I have no idea how it ever did on home video formats. I'd hope better.

Yeah, it didn't do very well. I'm sure it's failure was probably the main reason why they went back to stop-motion. I doubt it did all that well on home video.

Aardman's hits are few and far between, that it's amazing they've been able to survive as long as they did, quite frankly.

Shaun has a very real chance to get a nomination for Best Animated Feature. The movie is indeed very good and is a near lock for an Oscar nomination. The Acad's animation branch loves european cartoons esp. stop motion.

I would be astounded if it doesn't get a nomination. There isn't a stop motion film that's gotten a wide release that's failed to get one. In 2012, they made up 60% of the field.

It won't win, but getting a nom? As close to guaranteed as Inside Out.

The first rule of BoxOfficeTheory, you do not talk about a movie s bo performance until the chinese bo run is finished.

The second rule of BoxOfficeTheory, you do not talk about a movie s bo performance until the chinese bo run is finished.

Ok, so when exactly am I allowed to talk about Fury Roads box office performance?

Yeah, it didn't do very well. I'm sure it's failure was probably the main reason why they went back to stop-motion. I doubt it did all that well on home video.

Aardman's hits are few and far between, that it's amazing they've been able to survive as long as they did, quite frankly.

OS has been pretty good to them. That's how they're still going.

OS has been pretty good to them. That's how they're still going.

Aardman don't do great business overseas (usually around 100m), but yeah, their stop motion movies have reasonable budgets, so most of their films probably make a profit in the long-run. 

Edited by Insidearcher