Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Between the catastrophic production, directorial meltdown, abysmal reviews and now terrible box office, it's like we are watching history in the making.

In a few years people will be asking "where were you when Fantastic Four happened?"

• Like 1

Interstellar didn't have franchise hype yet opened strong and held its own against everything else to almost 200M. It's hardly impossible for Martian to do the same.

But it had / has the Nolan-hype. R. Scott is often ahead of it's time with his movies, hence why a lot of movies later get to be waaaayyyy better ratings as at the time of their release.

BO has Martian at 170m+. It's a popular book. Space themes are in.

It has a much more universal message than Interstellar - Bring him home.

'Stranded on mars' is also more GA friendly than Interstellar's mumbo jumbo.

If wom is good, 200m could happen.

Ahhh, totally forgot it's based on a book, already put it on my book-searching-list

Between the catastrophic production, directorial meltdown, abysmal reviews and now terrible box office, it's like we are watching history in the making.

In a few years people will be asking "where were you when Fantastic Four happened?"

It's the Heaven's Gate of Big Budget Comic Book Movies.

• Like 1

But it had / has the Nolan-hype. R. Scott is often ahead of it's time with his movies, hence why a lot of movies later get to be waaaayyyy better ratings as at the time of their release.

Lets look at the facts here. Ridley Scott has the ability to make movies that large audiences enjoy. No not every one of them is a hit, but he has had three movies that adjusted grossed over 200M. He certainly has the potential to make massive hits - and I personally believe that The Martian could be the next one. People comparing this to Exodus is ridiculous, it was obvious from the outset that Exodus was going to bomb.

Um, Interstellar was the new Christopher freakin' Nolan film with the award winning McConaissance attached. And even it missed 200. So that should really prove the Martian doesn't have a shot.

To be frank, if Interstellar was actually in the Oscar conversation, it would have made it to 200m. 

The Martian can do it, even if improbable, but Gravity shows it can be done

I've detected zero tangible hype for The Martian, so I don't understand how it's supposed to perform so much better at the BO than the insanely hyped Prometheus? Scott does not make movies the general public like for well over a decade, so it having great WOM seems next to impossible.

How can you detect hype for a movie that comes out 2 months from now?

• Like 3

I still hold that most movies this summer did meet expectations or exceed them though. The only ones that truly underperformed are Tomorrowland, Terminator, Ted, and now FF. So it was always going to be a top heavy summer. Nothing beyond the top 4 ever had 200+ potential, imo. Well, I originally thought Tomorrowland did, but obviously I was living in a fantasy there.

yeah i think everything lived up to expectations for the most part. There were a few breakouts during every summer month.

May:

Pitch Perfect 2-I dont think anyone truly realized how big this fanbase was; it nearly tripled the gross of the first. 

San Andreas-no one was really checking for this film but it actually came in above tracking and 400m+ WW; proving that The Rock is an action-star draw.

June:

Spy-Everyone thought it would do well domestically but it's equally successful overseas, 232m WW and counting. 

Jurassic World: This exceeded even the most optimistic predictions. Total shocker of the summer.

Inside Out-Most people thought Minions would take the animation crown easily, but synergy with Jurassic World proved to be critical in the peak of summer. 

July:

Trainwreck-Exceeded expectations especially since it starred a relatively new comedian (Amy Schumer)