Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Even if Fox got in the way I don't think Josh handled it very well.   You don't trash a movie on opening weekend.   Glad Tom got the win for the 2nd weekend.  Also I find it funny how many people tried to trash Tim Story's "F4" films when looking back they both did pretty well at the box office. 

• Like 4

The Marvel Universe has a love/hate relationships with their superheroes. Whereas Spider-Man and the X-Men tend to be persecuted by tabloids and the government, others like The Fantastic Four and Iron Man tend to be have a better relationship with the public and goverments. Until recently, the biggest difference between DC and Marvel was that the superheroes were worshipped like gods and it was pointed out in JLA/Avengers

Many mini-studios have tried to emulate Lionsgate and DreamWorks SKG and failed, Summit got close and then Lionsgate bought them.

Didn't New Line also get bought out and isn't that a success story if a mini-studio gets bought?

How so?

Do you mean critically?

What movies specifically are going to be strong in September/October?

September/October looks very strong in terms of movies to see. I won't getting around to seeing all of these in theaters but I am interested in:

Black Mass

Everest

Maze Runner 2

Sicario

The Intern

The Walk

The Martian

Pan

Steve Jobs

Bridge of Spies

Crimson Peak

Freeheld

Burnt

Suffragette

Our Brand Is Crisis

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

How so?

Do you mean critically?

What movies specifically are going to be strong in September/October?

I think Maze Runner, Transylania 2, Everest, The Walk, The Martian, Steve Jobs, Bridge of Spies and Black Mass will all either get great reviews or do really well at the box office or both.

• Like 1

If Minions passes TS3 and Frozen's WW, my faith in humanity will be gone 4ever.

Minions is better than both those movies, but hey, it has no chance to beat Frozen and unlikely to beat TS3.

• Like 1

I guess dinosaurs have a bigger limit  :ph34r:

For the moment.

These things tend to change over time.

Not to mention dinosaurs isn't really a genre. You might as well point at that sinking ships and blue cat aliens have the biggest limit.

For the moment.

Not to mention dinosaurs isn't really a genre. You might as well point at that sinking ships and blue cat aliens have the biggest limit.

I WAS JOKING, C'MON

Minions better than both those? Are you on crack?

It's not even on the same level as DM or DM2.

Not even close to DM.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as TS3. Man people get carried away on here.

TS3 and Frozen are both poor films. Minions is at least good.

• Like 1

Even if Fox got in the way I don't think Josh handled it very well.   You don't trash a movie on opening weekend.   Glad Tom got the win for the 2nd weekend.  Also I find it funny how many people tried to trash Tim Story's "F4" films when looking back they both did pretty well at the box office. 

I'll give you the first FF but the second didn't do too well.

Critically they were both trash.

For the moment.

There does generally seem to be two thresholds for CBMs. The first is $400M, the second is $500M. Adjusting for inflation:

Before the CBM was a "genre":

Superman crossed $400M adjusted

Batman crossed $500M adjusted

The CBM genre truly established:

Spider-Man crossed $500M adjusted

Spider-Man 2 crossed $400M adjusted

TDK crossed $500M

TA1 crossed $500M

TDKR crossed $400M

IM3 crossed $400M

TA2 crossed $400M

Basically, to this point the true mass-appeal films that happen to be based on comic books cross $500M, and the first direct sequels and follow-ups to those films cross $400M. (IM3 was the first Marvel movie to follow TA1, TA2 was the direct sequel) No idea what comes next; I am not saying this as an anti-DC person, or an anti-Marvel person, but I do not think another CBM has a chance of crossing $500M, unless Infinity War 2 has enough of a "finale effect." The absolute best performers could crack $400M, but I have no idea which films will do this.

And I say this as someone who likes these movies. To truly break through, they have to become more than just a CBM, they have to become something else entirely.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1