Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

WTF? Paramount must've sacrificed a goat to the movie gods.

The movie was big OS. It didn't bombed like FF. And I am assuming it will do 100M in China. 

• Like 2

There does generally seem to be two thresholds for CBMs. The first is $400M, the second is $500M. Adjusting for inflation:

Before the CBM was a "genre":

Superman crossed $400M adjusted

Batman crossed $500M adjusted

The CBM genre truly established:

Spider-Man crossed $500M adjusted

Spider-Man 2 crossed $400M adjusted

TDK crossed $500M

TA1 crossed $500M

TDKR crossed $400M

IM3 crossed $400M

TA2 crossed $400M

Basically, the true mass-appeal films that happen to be based on comic books cross $500M, and the first direct sequels and follow-ups to those films cross $400M. (IM3 was the first Marvel movie to follow TA1, TA2 was the direct sequel)

And I say this as someone who likes these movies. To break through, they have to become more than just a CBM, they have to become something else entirely.

But Avengers crossed 600 m, so it broke the typical threshold.

Who's to say that threshold won't be broken even further?

“This turned into a nightmare for Fox,” said Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “Everything that could go wrong went wrong and the whole thing fell apart.”

“The confluence of clearly the decidedly negative reviews with the combination of social media did not help the cause,” said Fox distribution chief Chris Aronson.

He was not willing to write off the “Fantastic Four” series yet, but stressed that the studio would be engaged in a rigorous postmortem about the film’s failure. The foursome’s future might be as supporting players in other comicbook characters’ movies.

“We have a lot to look forward to in our comicbook character universe,” said Aronson. “We may find different ways to feature these characters in the future, but it’s early and we’ll have to see what form that takes.”

The film’s opening weekend crowd was 60% male and 51% under the age of 25.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/fantastic-four-box-office-bomb-1201566230/

The language has gone from "fizzled" to "flops" back to "bombed."

...What about FF guest starring in the Deadpool sequel?  ;-)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

That's very strong all things considered for the Gift. Most people thought it would low single digits as of a week ago. If every audience loves it like my audience did I can see it legging its way past 50 million. 

I guess I was unclear. TA1 completely broke through to mainstream mega blockbuster, like SM1 and TDK had. (I think TDK's ticket sales are actually slightly above TA1's, no 3D, comparatively minimal IMAX, and before 4 years of 2D inflation from 08-12.)

SM1 and Batman '89 were the ones to get closest to those in ticket sales. SM2, TDKR and AOU were the only ones to get close to B89/SM1.

Then you have a $40-50M gap to the next highest film, IM3, and SM3 adjusted just below $400M. (Though with the IMAX for TDKR abd 3D/IMAX/PLF for IM3 and Ultron, I have no idea where their ticket sales fall. Could SM3, with all 2D and a lot of child tickets, have sold as much/more tickets than IM3?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

The Gift actually beat expectations, should end up with 30m+ depending on legs. Good launch for STX entertainment. 

Ricki and the Flash had a meh opening, i dont think the marketing did it's job. 

MI:RN also unexpectedly hung onto 1st place, mot of the trades had F4 beating it. (even though many people here did the opposite)

F4: nothing else to say about this. Total disaster for the studio. 

The Gift is doing well. In contrast, everyone walking out of Fantastic Four is saying "what the fuck was that", "that was utter shit", "why the fuck did we pay £9 for that", I even had a couple of people ask for a refund it was so bad. all my friends hated it. word of mouth is going to be awful, imo it's doing under 50M.

• Like 1

The Gift is doing well. In contrast, everyone walking out of Fantastic Four is saying "what the fuck was that", "that was utter shit", "why the fuck did we pay £9 for that", I even had a couple of people ask for a refund it was so bad. all my friends hated it. word of mouth is going to be awful, imo it's doing under 50M.

I have a feeling we are getting a record drop next weekend.

Regarding FF, has any movie come this far under tracking before?

Penguins of Madagascar?

And Batman and Robin, for all its bad reputation, did not actually flop on opening or in general. It opened at #1, the OW adjusts to $75M, it just dropped like a rock due to the bad WOM. But it still got to almost $190M adjusted, it was no Catwoman.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I wasn't following box office at the time, but I read that some expected King Kong to open over 100M

Yes, that happened.

Godzilla '98 also came in considerably below tracking, it was expected by people both inside Sony and out to break The Lost World's Memorial weekend record, and the OW record in general.

• Like 1

Good start for STX. As long as they can keep the budgets low and risk minimal, they can survive. And if they can luck out on a major IP, they can become a mini Lionsgate.

Lots of minis have tried and fail. It's still too early to decide where STX is going to end up in a few years. Future releases include Secret in their Eyes, Free State of Jones, so atleast they are attracting some big name talent. 

TS3, maybe the highest rated both critically and General Audience rated animated movie of all time. If not, it's very close. I can name 4 or 5 scenes in TS3 of the greatest scenes in animated history. From Spanish mode Buzz, to Ken and Barbie, to the little tikes not playing with the toys the right way. Then you have the trash burning scene not to mention Andy growing up and leaving for college at the end. I don't know a parent who didn't get moved by that.

TS3 was the rare film, animated or live action, that has everything you could want in a movie.

• Like 3