Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

FOX's biggest ever mistake ever was letting George Lucas keep the Star Wars sequel and merchandising rights. Stupid mistake. Billions lost.

I imagine studios now will always keep those rights.

Only for movies that where they own the property outright. They get stuff for movie related merch on licensed properties, but the way toy companies set things up, the movie merch becomes overshadowed by the regular toys more and more quickly (Transformers, Lego) Edited by AJG

Since TIH Ed Norton has been in Birdman, 2 Wes Anderson flicks and Renner Bourne

That is one random resume

He did take a 2 year long hiatus for no specified reason. And the first thing he did upon returning was the Verizon Droid commercial. He just stopped caring a long time ago by the looks of it.

• Like 2

I... would pay to see this. Seems like an hilarious trainwreck.

I watched Turn off the dark on Broadway. It was pretty entertaining. They managed to make TASM2 and The Sinister Six all in the space of 90 minutes. Also, Spider-Man beats the entire Sinister Six within the length of a song. The production values were pretty top notch. The guy who played the Goblin chewed up and spit out the scenery in every single scene. The stunts were also pretty good (although I was scared they would crash and fall or something)

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

FOX's biggest ever mistake ever was letting George Lucas keep the Star Wars sequel and merchandising rights. Stupid mistake. Billions lost.

Nobody believed in Star Wars, Lucas included.

Nobody in 1976 could have predicted what it became.

• Like 5

Their effort to reboot their scifi franchises have failed so far: Predators didn't get any trophy, Prometheus doesn't create new organism, the new Alien sequel gets a hit-or-miss Blomkampf (sp?). But the Apes series are doing very well. Disney keeps all the best franchises: Star Wars, Avengers, Indiana Jones, Pixar, Pirates. I don't know how Paramount loses Marvel after the orgasmic success of Iron Man, and Fox losing Lucasfilm to Disney??? I mean, as far as Fox is concerned, they can't rely on ames Cameron who works on a 10 years-movie schedule.

I watched Turn off the dark on Broadway. It was pretty entertaining. They managed to make TASM2 and The Sinister Six all in the space of 90 minutes. Also, Spider-Man beats the entire Sinister Six within the length of a song. The production values were pretty top notch. The guy who played the Goblin chewed up and spit out the scenery in every single scene. The stunts were also pretty good (although I was scared they would crash and fall or something)

The last play I saw was Wicked.

I'm amazed that's not a movie yet. Shit was a good time.

• Like 2

The last play I saw was Wicked.

I'm amazed that's not a movie yet. Shit was a good time.

It is one of those plays with a very complicated rights situation. Every single year we see a "Wicked movie gearing up" headline, never seems to go anywhere beyond that. This was the most recent one: http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/wicked-movie-hollywood-broadway-1201468416/

As for “Wicked,” which is currently running in five productions around the world, the next logical question is: When’s the movie?

According to Universal Pictures president Jimmy Horowitz, the studio is “absolutely committed” to making the movie, but is putting the focus on getting it right. “I don’t think we’re ever going to set a date and try to make that date,” he said.

Platt, meanwhile, acknowledges that part of the challenge now is finding an inherently cinematic counterpart to the musical’s signature stage spectacle. “‘Defying Gravity’ is a big, theatrical, grand gesture,” he said. “In film, how do you match that?”

So while the “Wicked” movie is on the to-do list, don’t hold your breath just yet. “We’re enthusiastically moving it forward,” Platt said. “But we don’t want to get ahead of what is still a robust theatrical experience.”

Hopefully they get a director who can make the play seem cinematic as opposed to whatever the hell we got with "Into the woods". That was the cheapest looking movie ever, almost like they forgot that they had a good budget to spend on making it look lavish.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Is this post from 1980?

• Like 2

He wouldn't now I agree. But say in a hypothetical world where he never did Batman, Inception, Interstellar... In 2009 he was offered the job as the director of the Jew Fantastic Four reboot, do you think he would take it?

Oy vey!

• Like 2

Their effort to reboot their scifi franchises have failed so far: Predators didn't get any trophy, Prometheus doesn't create new organism, the new Alien sequel gets a hit-or-miss Blomkampf (sp?). But the Apes series are doing very well. Disney keeps all the best franchises: Star Wars, Avengers, Indiana Jones, Pixar, Pirates. I don't know how Paramount loses Marvel after the orgasmic success of Iron Man, and Fox losing Lucasfilm to Disney??? I mean, as far as Fox is concerned, they can't rely on ames Cameron who works on a 10 years-movie schedule.

Ah, Blomkamp's Alien 5.   Really looking forward to another run-away-from-Xenomorph-in-hallways movie staring Grandma Ripley.

Ah, Blomkamp's Alien 5.   Really looking forward to another run-away-from-Xenomorph-in-hallways movie staring Grandma Ripley.

I feel that movie won't even move forward.

Don't worry, it'll be a sequel to Aliens so they'll be neutering the franchise by letting her have the family she always craved

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

Deadpool will probably be a hit. Then we'll get a bunch of articles about how Ryan Reynolds was always a misunderstood superstar. Then I'll just out a window.

• Like 3

Yes, Blomkamp. Another true visionary.

The internet really wants a new director to elevate which is why Brad Bird, Blomkamp and even Trank got the auteur label after just one good live action movie. 

Deadpool will probably be a hit. Then we'll get a bunch of articles about how Ryan Reynolds was always a misunderstood superstar. Then I'll just out a window.

Deadpool will do Kingsman numbers, good enough to make money as it is low budget for a SH movie. Worst case scenario is of course, Kick Ass. The internet seemed to go crazy for it, but people just did not show up. 

Deadpool is pretty much being sold to audiences as "See Ryan Reynolds play the character he has always wanted to play". No mention of who the director is or who the writers are, or even what the story is. It is just straight up "Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool, watch it on Valentines Day"

Edited by grim22

That depends on the budget.

I think it should hit at least 300 m WW.

I doubt it makes more DOM than whatever F4 will end up doing. I have no idea how stuff is looking OS, but I think it should do less assuming F4 does 170-190M OS.

Yes, Blomkamp. Another true visionary.

He is a good director. He has two big hits under his belt, both with good to great reviews, and a misfire that was a personal project, but wasn't a huge bomb or anything. I think there is some good stuff in Chappie. 

• Like 1