Avatree

Houston, we have a problem... THE MARTIAN over GRAVITY opening weekend | Club cannot defy Gravity.

out. you're all fooling yourselves EXACTLY like with interstellar which opened to... oh my god only 47m. i knew it wasn't as big as expected but i didn't remember it being that LOW... nolan is over. sorry where was i. oh yeah. this will happily do ~interstellar's ow and 3/4 interstellar's dom total. the hype and quality is nowhere near gravity.

out. you're all fooling yourselves EXACTLY like with interstellar which opened to... oh my god only 47m. i knew it wasn't as big as expected but i didn't remember it being that LOW... nolan is over. sorry where was i. oh yeah. this will happily do ~interstellar's ow and 3/4 interstellar's dom total. the hype and quality is nowhere near gravity.

So much wrong with this post...

• Like 3

Nolan alone can't open a movie. We know that now. Interstellar had mystery box trailers selling pretty much only Nolan's name, and because of that, it had an underwhelming OW but legged its way to a very respectable total. Nolan generally makes good movies that connect with audiences, so saying he's "done" is pretty funny.

Alternatively, The Martian has had terrific marketing selling lighter, more relatable fare than Interstellar (not a criticism of Interstellar) with more of a clear hook ("Bring Him Home" vs. "From the Director of the Dark Knight Trilogy and Interstellar: What Else Do You Need to Know?"). It's also an adaptation of a really popular book. 

Sure, $65M might be a stretch, but this has a lot of things going for it. It should open big.