K1stpierre

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Really good. The actors are perfectly cast and Grey does a terrific job making you understand where this group is coming from and what motivates them to write their lyrics. I did think the movie kind of lost focus at the 3/4 point with them all going their separate ways, but it regained its footing by the end.

A-

• Like 1

I basically echo what Tribe said- it's absolutely excellent for about two-thirds or so, before becoming sporadic and rushed for the third act until it rounds back into shape with Eazy's breakdown and illness. But it has such relentless energy and it's so impactful- much like the group itself- that you can't resist. Cast is universally stellar, particularly Mitchell as Eazy, who owns the screen from the very first second he steps on it. And boy, is that opening scene great. Do recommend this highly, even if you aren't an NWA fan. There's certainly a big issue there with failing to address the issues with sexism and homophobia, but that's not the story they wanted to tell- even if it would have been productive. Here's one thing that I will note- there is nothing really here for female characters, and that's an understatement. But unlike several prominent blockbusters this past year or two (not to throw shade, but hi JW and Interstellar), it KNOWS it. So instead of shoehorning female characters in so they can claim to be "diverse" when really the female characters are actually given jack shit to do except move pieces into place for the men (hi JW and Interstellar), it instead focuses exclusively on the music and social impact of the men in the NWA, without tokenizing, shoehorning or sidelining worthy women performers. It knows what story it wants to tell here, and it tells it. Just an observation on the current state of female characters in big movies. It's not a good thing, but it's an interesting parallel to the vanilla representation that we see too much of.

Rare movie that felt problematic almost every other scene but I still liked. The biopic formula is inherently absurd and clashes directly with the authentic touches F. Gary Grey brings to the table--I could only deal with so many time jumps that begin with characters literally proclaiming 'man, I can't believe we're in _____!' Perhaps more insidious is that you can feel Dre's and Cube's hands all over this thing, in that what I saw felt honest and heartfelt and sometimes earned but shyed away from a lotttttttt of stuff. It doesn't quite become the issue film it wants to be because they totally drop police brutality post-Rodney King. It doesn't quite become a foreboding tale of rags to riches (with Dre's cronies committing the same brutality they grew up around) because it quickly dovetails into Dre and Cube's tribute to Eazy-E. It doesn't address the group's misogynist and homophobic tendancies, but even worse it turns both of them into jokes (Bye Felicia and the HIV joke).

Yet as much as they shift gears I really enjoyed the whole thing. It feels like a big movie. Chalk it less up to the script and more to the outstanding ensemble and a strong director who brings the right visual style to this story. Paul Giamatti in particular really works here, especially after feeling slightly out of place in a similar role in Love & Mercy- what they do with him re: the white savior complex totally works and they stick the landing.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

It is absolutely the sanitized version of this story, and it's too bad, because the alternative is more interesting. That's what they could have done with the third act. But the very fact that there's actually a large-scale NWA movie that feels like a big deal is just pretty mindblowing- it's one of those things I thought Hollywood itself would never have touched. And because of it, it feels more real, more authentic, and more bold than most of the movies this summer. It's impossible to make an NWA movie without an element of fuck you to the typical constraints of Hollywood. Or maybe the constraints of Hollywood/what Cube and Dre changed is kind of a big fuck you to whatever NWA represents. No matter what, that cast is still fucking killer, and Gray stunned the shit out of me. He did great with the Italian Job remake too but I didn't know he had this in him in 2015. He aced it. 

I just saw this and it was good.  

Definitely sanitized as already said here, but I still liked it. I was around during those times and the music so that was a plus for me.

B+

Great movie. The story never lost focus for me, and even though the movie was long, it sure as hell didn't feel like it. The atmosphere, music and cast were awesome, and Jason Mitchell rocked it out of the park and should be nominated for an oscar for his performance. My only beef, like most movies, they had no problem showing the tits and ass of many women, but I don't recall seeing any men with not even their shirt off, which is ridiculous.

I really like this movie really good acting by the cast, accurate resemblances to all of the NWA and even Tupac(whoa it looked just like him too). I also got a little bit teary when Eazy died in the end and I would definitely watch this again and get it on bluray. Grade:B+

give this a B 

movie is ok , doesnt feel long , their life lends itself to storytelling , one thing i remarked on was how there was a lot of white people at the concerts and white chicks at the party or light skin black girls , and of course portrayal of women par for the course of that lifestyle

i liked the actors who portrayed dre and cube , the entire movie i'm asking myself is dre the one who is married to beyonce ? 

i just found out the cube guy is actually his son because i was thinking nice casting ....took me a while to figure out who the big guy was suppose to be , i've seen vh1 behind the music series talking about what went down between these people the shooting and murders...good show that showed the good the bad and the ugly side of that genre !

the script definitely felt real but the translation in french for subtitles was hilarious , i'm in a funny place where being from the caribbean i'm more familiar with african american speech patterns but i'm clueless about french equivalent , the entire time i was wondering do youngsters from same type of culture speak like that for real?

anyhoo for the random person who does not know me and who called me a racist because i don't like rap 

well lets see i'm a black woman , not all black people care for that type of music , as a woman i cannot abide by a music genre that is vulgar and derogatory towards woman in general , now that said what i really cannot stand is the music the beat it gaves me a bad headache so even if i wanted to i couldnt listen to this in any prolong way ....

as for the lyrics per this movie ,are pretty good , as someone who reads i can appreciate the poetry and intelligence of social commentary within them, or the back and forth slamming between the guys and cube ,its like fencing with words ! i can grasp concept that not all of their lyrics are bad or not socially conscious ,i just can't pretend that its just only this sanitize version that's the most popular portion of their genre! i'm also aware that there are female rappers who appropriate a music genre they like and write great stuff and good for them they didnt leave what guys say in those songs define them or stop them from rapping if that was their dream.

i'm a 90s kid after all , i just accept that it isnt and never has been my cup of tea, but i would not let something like that get in the way of me viewing a movie , its never a bad thing to see a biopic of sorts about black people and not MLK yet again ....

• Like 2

Can I really dislike a movie for solely being inaccurate? Truth be told, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie while watching it as I know absolutely nothing about NWA. Although generic at points, I really got to care for Dre, Ice Cube, and Eazy-E. Acting by the main three and Giamatti was great, and the direction was on point. I especially like what Gray did with the credits and how the whole film felt an hour shorter than it actually was.  My friend informed me on the way back on how horribly inaccurate it is… and I kinda don’t mind? I guess that’s a bad thing, but as a film, I feel like it’s done well enough to enjoy on its own merits. B+