BK007

What do you "do" with a film after the cinema?

This treads many topics so I thought I might just leave it in here.

All of us are on here because we follow box office, but we came here because we love movies and in general watch more than the public.

However, as we all know physical media is dying, box office receipts are still dropping and streaming/Netflix/piracy on the rise.

Furthermore, many here love to make lists or countdowns aka top 100s etc.

Time is finite, so obviously we cannot exactly watch every movie we liked again on a consistent basis, especially with the number of movies we all watch on here.

So, my question is, what exactly do you all do after you've seen it in the cinema?

Buy movies? Download them? Forget them? Wait until it's on TV? 

I have always found countdowns a little weird. Some movies you would have seen recently and many a long time ago. There surely is not enough time to keep rewatching movies on your list to "know" where any movie stands. Are movies just a "once off" kind of experience? Like a concert or an event? I mean, really, how many movies do you watch more than once? 

Ownership and rewatching perhaps became more of a thing when VHS but more likely DVD came onto the scene 18 years ago. Prior to that, re-releases and TV. So movie watching was definitely more of an event back then, but I think may be becoming one again because of the sheer amount of releases. How many can you even watch? Not very many. 

I will say that I was once OCD in wanting to watch every movie, as though the sheer number would give my opinion more weight. 

So I tried to watch many in the year, even if they were shit, and bought a shit load of movies to watch.

Years later, I still have hundreds of unwatched DVDs. There is just no time and not very many people actually watch older movies besides film buffs and maybe but not necessarily filmmakers and people in the industry. 

edit:

Even movies I do like, I just remember them and the feeling, but have hardly seen any at all again.

I have not seen Inception since the theatre...hell most movies I have only seen once in the cinema, maybe twice. 

I love How to Train Your Dragon and between 2010 (Saw twice in cinema) and HTTYD2 I saw it zero times. Once only after I had seen Dragon 2.

Even crowd pleasing blockbusters, I enjoy it so much time, they seem to hold up. But after I see a movie one additional time, the need to see it again after drops considerably so that years can go by before I really want to see it again. 

Perhaps the only exception is Harry Potter (some not all) because they were the most intertwined with my life/childhood/teenage years that going back to it is also visiting myself. 

So what about you guys? 

Edited by BK007

I watch only movies at cineams that seem to be 'worthy' for a cinama visit nowadays,

I live too fat away from a cinema, too often youngsters and sometimes also older people disturb my experience vie e.g. texting or speaking about something else or....

I buy a lot of DVDs/Blu-Rays, often used or after some month or more time since the disc release. I usually do not sell those discs

I never do downloads as repeatedly posted, I see too many negatives actual and even worse in the future out of a too big download market share / future loss of the at least big-hitter as discs sales

No way movies are an "once off" kind of experience, you can always discover something new when you rewatch them. I really like to rewatch my favorite movies because they have elements that can trigger nice feelings and reaffirm things I value in life. And that goes for any type of art: books, music, games...

I do like to go to the cinema, but I stopped doing it very often (only 3 times this year, 6 times last year), only a few bluckbusters appeal to me each year and the theater chains in my city rarely show small movies. I do have Netflix, but the brazilian catalogue doesn't have much stuff that interests me. I don't watch TV unless it's a really specific event, I have been living without cable/broadcast tv in my house since the beginning of the year. As for home video, I have only bought DVDs twice in my entire life, I find them really expensive and have no interest in keeping physical copies of movies. I must admit that I download 99% of the movies I see, If only on-demand streaming services had a less limited catalogue, this problem would be solved. 

Just like in the music industry, I get the feeling that most of the money isn't going to the artists, but to businessmen. The thing is, I can pay for self-pressed albums and vinyls, I can pay for concerts and even for official band T-shirts to support them. I have a wide range of cheap games on Steam, and books can be borrowed in libraries. But how exactly would I do this with movies? 

Edited by JohnnY

No way movies are an "once off" kind of experience, you can always discover something new when you rewatch them. I really like to rewatch my favorite movies because they have elements that can trigger nice feelings and reaffirm things I value in life. And that goes for any type of art: books, music, games...

I do like to go to the cinema, but I stopped doing it very often (only 3 times this year, 6 times last year), only a few bluckbusters appeal to me each year and the theater chains in my city rarely show small movies. I do have Netflix, but the brazilian catalogue doesn't have much stuff that interests me. I don't watch TV unless it's a really specific event, I have been living without cable/broadcast tv in my house since the beginning of the year. As for home video, I have only bought DVDs twice in my entire life, I find them really expensive and have no interest in keeping physical copies of movies. I must admit that I download 99% of the movies I see, If only on-demand streaming services had a less limited catalogue, this problem would be solved. 

Just like in the music industry, I get the feeling that most of the money isn't going to the artists, but to businessmen. The thing is, I can pay for self-pressed albums and vinyls, I can pay for concerts and even for official band T-shirts to support them. I have a wide range of cheap games on Steam, and books can be borrowed in libraries. But how exactly would I do this with movies? 

I understand you completely. 

If we stayed in America, there would be a much easier solution. Legitimate streaming options and Blu-Rays/DVDs can be found for cheap. 

I do not agree with downloading but until there's a fairly priced alternative it is impossible to get around in a developing country. 

Movies won't be released, some are censored, then the Blu-Ray/DVD costs 4x the price of America. 

I bought a lot secondhand when I was in the UK. 

It's just greed and you're right, a lot of bureaucratic red tape and CEOs and exec number crunchers taking a lot of the profits. Corruption too. 

But, the movie industry- who would you be giving the money to? Actors, scriptwriters and directors? What about the backstage, tech crew, editors etc. Too complex but yet all these essential people get underpaid and execs get the money. For doing jackshit. 

I used to buy every movie I "liked" on DVD, and now I have too many movies. Now, I'll usually buy 2 or 3 on Blu ray per year, and maybe buy a digital copy of a movie or two per year. If I really love I movie, I'll be sure to watch it a second or third time, but now that I work at the theatre, I can watch movies I like 2 or 3 times. So with Compton for example, I've already seen it a few times, so I won't need to watch it again for a long time.

As I've gotten older, I usually only watch movies once. I don't have any sort of calculation about movies I'll want to see again (and do), it's very much instinctive and based in the moment. Now that I'm older, I tend to have less free time completely to myself, which definitely factors into things: if I'm with my wife or my son, if we watch something, it's gonna be something they want to also see (whether they've seen it or not). So movies that are of interest only to me tend to get marginalized and I'll find time to squeeze them in during odd hours.... which means (generally speaking) I'm more likely to watch something I haven't seen before (and am interested in) than repeat viewing.

If a movie's on TV and I've seen it, I might watch for awhile, depending on my free time. If it's something I really enjoy, in fact, I'll almost always watch a portion on TV, no matter what else is happening. (Case in point: coming across MIDNIGHT RUN the other night).

I still buy Blu-rays of my favorites, partially for the quality, partially for the guarantee of being able to watch whenever I want, and partially for any extras... but at this point that's reserved only for favorites.

I understand you completely. 

If we stayed in America, there would be a much easier solution. Legitimate streaming options and Blu-Rays/DVDs can be found for cheap. 

I do not agree with downloading but until there's a fairly priced alternative it is impossible to get around in a developing country. 

Movies won't be released, some are censored, then the Blu-Ray/DVD costs 4x the price of America. 

I bought a lot secondhand when I was in the UK. 

It's just greed and you're right, a lot of bureaucratic red tape and CEOs and exec number crunchers taking a lot of the profits. Corruption too. 

But, the movie industry- who would you be giving the money to? Actors, scriptwriters and directors? What about the backstage, tech crew, editors etc. Too complex but yet all these essential people get underpaid and execs get the money. For doing jackshit. 

For you to have an idea, every single person who owned a Playstation 2 in my country bought pirated games, the piracy market was huge, and I'm not talking about downloads, I'm talking about selling counterfeit goods. None of my friends had original games, they were just UNABLE to buy them, it just wasn't an option, they were crazy expensive. I remember that it was kinda hard to find pirated GBC/GBA games, so people had to buy the original ones, most of the kids had like only two or three games because nobody was willing to buy more than that. Nowadays you have cheaper options because of Playstation Store, Live and Steam, but only because of the internet. Pirated CDs were also very common, but ever since people started to listen to music on youtube they started to disappear. 

Buying movies is still expensive here, and honestly, it just isn't part of our culture. Netflix can change that, it's just still too limited right now. I'm not buying home video because it's expensive and I don't like to waste space storing stuff, but I'll gladly rewatch movies on a streaming service.

Edited by JohnnY

It really depends for me, I always loved movies, but since I've gotten older my taste in films has expanded to to pretty much every single genre and every kind of film that is getting positive buzz, when I was little almost everything I watched was animated, I would watch The Lion King Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Cinderella over and over and over and over again, then when I got a little older I pretty much only liked films that were Star Wars, sci-fi and fantasy. I've seen every single star wars film at least 100 times each, and I've probably seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy over 100 times as I was a bit obsessed with certain films, I still watch Star Wars and LOTR probably once a year now, because they're my favorite films. I see too many films now to do that with most and even if I really loved it I wouldn't want to watch them that much, but if I loved the film, I will definitely see it more than once, my opinion can change with views sometimes too, Like I loved Man of Steel the first several times I watched it or kind of forced myself too, and I just watched it again, and realized it was a pile of garbage. if the film is part of a series I am more likely to watch it more- even if I don't necessarily like it that much because I wanna ketchup before the next one. there are just certain kinds of films that I don't feel the need to watch as often, like I absolutely loved Her and Nightcrawler but I've only seen them once. I loved X-Men Days of Future past and have seen that film five or six times now, because it's just really amazing and also rewatchable to me (not to mention the Rogue Cut is pretty awesome). I still buy movies on dvd/blu ray, but only if I really loved it usually. or if it's super cheap and I haven't seen it yet. but yeah now there I'm just seeing too many movies to see them all multiple times. if it's a movie I am really anticipating I will usually see it at least twice though even if I didn't like it that much. 

For most movies I believe its the 2nd viewing where you can actually properly grade it. 

While it's true you might pick up on nuances and things you missed the first time around, you also only get one chance for that first-ever viewing. And in many ways, I feel that's the "truest" viewing... repeat viewing is basically already catering to your expectations. The exception, I guess, is if many years have passed since you last saw it... and in that case you've changed as well.

• Like 1

While it's true you might pick up on nuances and things you missed the first time around, you also only get one chance for that first-ever viewing. And in many ways, I feel that's the "truest" viewing... repeat viewing is basically already catering to your expectations. The exception, I guess, is if many years have passed since you last saw it... and in that case you've changed as well.

Yeah but I guess I'm 22 so every year I feel like I view movies a little differently as my taste grows and my understanding of film widens, watching 700 different movies in a year will sightly flux your taste haha.  I lowered my DOTA grade a good 3 points after bluray, I used to think SLP was a B+ now I think its an A. Also for me to give an A to a movie I have to watch it a second time and think its just as good. 

But you're right still my grades usually don't flux more than 3/4 points max. Usually never more than a full grade level. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

I see on average 50 different movies in the theaters, but lately, I have only bought a few blu rays a year.  I have to really, really like a movie to buy it.  I don't just buy one to see it a second time just to see it.  For movies like that and for ones I have no desire to see in a theater, I just wait until they come to cable

Yeah but I guess I'm 22 so every year I feel like I view movies a little differently as my taste grows and my understanding of film widens, watching 700 different movies in a year will sightly flux your taste haha. I lowered my DOTA grade a good 3 points after bluray, I used to think SLP was a B+ now I think its an A. Also for me to give an A to a movie I have to watch it a second time and think its just as good.

But you're right still my grades usually don't flux more than 3/4 points max. Usually never more than a full grade level.

My problem is if I watch a movie and hate it, I'm not not going to waste my time and money to see it again. Only way that happens is if I'm with friends and they decide to watch it or something like that.

Also, if I love a movie on the first viewing, I'm not going to give it a B+ until I see it again. I'm going to give it the grade I think it deserves then and change it if something changes my mind later.