kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

Gyllenhall isn't a household name, at least not outside nerds like us. That's the Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence level. He's in the next tier, where you mention a movie he's in and then people go "Oh yeah, him!" Lots of actors in that level.

• Like 3

Fri looking like

HT2 13-13.5,Int 6,EVer 4.3-4.5, MRSC 4.1, BM 3.6,Visit 2,TPG 1.5,GI 1.3,WR 1.2,Sic 500k

New September OW record is happening. Great for Intern as well, might make it to 17M or even 20M if it increases a lot tomorrow. Everest expansion went poorly by the looks of it.

• Like 2

http://deadline.com/2015/09/the-intern-hotel-transylvania-2-the-green-inferno-weekend-box-office-1201550112/

You may not be able to see Adam Sandler in the flesh on screen this weekend, but you certainly hear him, and what audiences hear is quite funny, as they gave Sony Animation’s Hotel Transylvania 2 the same grade as the first one: an A- CinemaScore. After being buried six feet under by the press this summer with his ambitious ‘80s arcade spectacle Pixels ($88M reported budget, $76.5M)Sandler has risen from the dead like his own cartoon Dracula, showing he can ain’t no Waterboy that’ll be kicked around at the B.O. Oh no, — he’s still the wisenheimer who can suck the bucks out of audiences’ pockets. Hotel Transylvania 2which Sandler voice, co-wrote with Robert “Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” Smigel and executive produced, is giving Sony it’s highest opening to date this calendar year, and its biggest FSS post that God awful hack with an estimated $46.8M at 3,754. The records don’t stop there: HT2 is so overbooked, it’s going to beat the September opening record it set two years ago with the first chapter, which took in $42.5M, and more – it’s the second highest opening of Sandler’s career after the $47.6M FSS Memorial Day opener The Longest Yard. We’ll have a better idea tomorrow if HT2runs over the football film. Tonight, HT2 is set to make an estimated $12.8M, which is 17% higher than HT1’s first daySaturday, spurred by matinees, are expected to post a huge 65% spike over Friday.

Warner Bros. has another strong adult pleaser in Nancy Meyers’ The Intern which is set to make an estimated $18.6M in the No. 2 spot. Intern landed Nancy Meyers her fourth A- CinemaScore in a row after It’s Complicated, Something’s Gotta Give and The Holiday, and that could carry it to a bigger boost on Saturday, and potentially even a $20M-pluls weekend.Rentrak’s Postrak spotted that mostly adults at 78% over 25 were crowding the theater the Anne Hathaway-Robert De Niro comedy, equally split between 50/50 male-female. The Intern had an estimated Friday payday of $6.5M.

Universal’s Everest is not near the $15M everyone was figuring, but that’s a number the industry was calculating, not the studio. The fact of the matter is that Everest is on course for a second weekend that is +76% from a week ago. By Sunday, the total will be at an estimated $22.75 and the question is how far this pre-Imax/PLF experimental rollout will play out in the end, or whether it falls off a cliff in its third weekend. 

• Like 2

Something incredibly scary happened to me at work tonight but ill explain tomorrow. As for now, I'll say how everything did.

HT2 is pretty much on par. It sold basically the same amounts of tickets today that Scorch Trials did last Friday (only a difference of 2). It's 8-10% behind Big Hero 6, and about 10% ahead of SpongeBob.

Intern did really solid business. Better than Walk in the Woods, Visit, Man From UNCLE, and even 15% higher than Black Mass last Friday.

Everest didn't do well, both showtimes were only about 30% full, but WOM could end up being fantastic. I was the usher tonight and I let out the movies. There was at least a dozen people who actually left the theatre crying (a few of them were girls I know who wanted a hug... which I was okay with ;) ). Could be the type of film that starts slow but builds.

Black Mass and Scorch Trials both fell about 55% from last Friday. If you look at tickets sold, Scorch Trials sold way more tickets tonight, and also had a slightly smaller percentage drop.

• Like 5

HT2 will go over 50m if it follows the first one's OW pattern. That's kind of huge. Sometimes I don't understand animated sequels. The ones to great movies like KFP or HTTYD end up under-performing and not keeping up with the first, while ones you'd think people wouldn't be demanding a sequel to, like this one, do great.  :wacko:

• Like 2

HT2 will go over 50m if it follows the first one's OW pattern. That's kind of huge. Sometimes I don't understand animated sequels. The ones to great movies like KFP or HTTYD end up under-performing and not keeping up with the first, while ones you'd think people wouldn't be demanding a sequel to, like this one, do great. :wacko:

The general public really liked the first, this is no surprise. Get ready for Hotel Transylvania 3! :)

HT2 will go over 50m if it follows the first one's OW pattern. That's kind of huge. Sometimes I don't understand animated sequels. The ones to great movies like KFP or HTTYD end up under-performing and not keeping up with the first, while ones you'd think people wouldn't be demanding a sequel to, like this one, do great.  :wacko:

Well, MAD2 didn't increase DOM-wise from the first one, either...but at least that one had a much softer drop and increased over the first one, WW-wise. (Although MAD3...did increase over it's predecessors, DOM-wise up to $216M DOM).

For this case with some other animated first sequels like IA2, Shrek 2, TS2 & DM2..they increased over their predecessors due to their goodwill. And also...they picked great release slots and marketed their movies pretty well.

In HT2's case....it's not surprising that this opens higher than the first one. Since people liked HT1.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1