WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Meyers takes forever to shoot her movies. For It's Complicated put Streep/Martin/Baldwin up at a gorgeous estate for five months. I'm pretty sure working with Meyers is the best scenario for an A-lister-- tons of money to shoot a light comedy for half a year, all expenses paid.

Streep hated working with Meyers and was so put off she took a year off. 

Nancy Meyer's The Intern had a fantastic hold and it seems to be going on a straight path towards a 100-million-dollar-plus gross.

However, could someone tell me why her last three movies each cost 80+ million dollars????

I know they tend to be star-studded...but, damn...looking at her Mojo page, seems like the only two stars of her ouvre who were considered, at the time of making their respective Nancy Mayer films, box office draws, were Mel Gibson (What Women Want had Gibson hot off his white-hot Lethal Weapon 4/Payback/Chicken Run/The Patriot streak)  and Meryl Streep (her It's Complicated was sandwhiched between her Mamma Mia!-Doubt-Julie & Julia triple whammy and her third Oscar win for The Iron Lady).

But even with that...did Streep and Gibson each get a 40-million-dollar paycheck??? I doubt it. Why are these rom-coms so expensive???

My guess is reshoots or taking a long time to shoot, each shooting day costs millions

Hotel Transylvania 2 with a (no pun intended) monster hold this weekend. It may end up challenging the 200M mark based on next weekend's hold. Right now, it will finish at around 190M if it follows the first movie's trajectory.

Sony's #1 and #2 movies domestically for 2015 so far both star Adam Sandler.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

No.. It's fantastic.. People are just overreacting this time out.. This is a very solid opening..

Right right right right. It is a really good opening, especially considering the month. But, it came in 1.2 million below the estimate which certainly isn't great. I wonder what led to this.