WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Number fudging to the tune of more than 3 Million to beat GRAVITY??? What's all the hub bub with The MARTIAN having to dethrone GRAVITY??? I don't remember this much hate for GRAVITY when it came out.. I remember praise, at least I thought I did unless I was High???

giphy.gif

Backlash affects everything. And the rise of a challenger only emboldens the backlashers to press harder.

RIP The Martian.

We need to have someone science the shit out of fixing your expectations and reactions.

• Like 2

Right right right right. It is a really good opening, especially considering the month. But, it came in 1.2 million below the estimate which certainly isn't great. I wonder what led to this.

Damon offended those people who think disco music is the best in the world.

It's still the #2 opening, and with the considerably smaller 3D share and no IMAX, it probably still sold as many tickets as Gravity (perhaps a smidge more, but we'll never be sure).

Gravity had a higher 3D share than Avatar; it may have had the highest average paid ticket price of any wide, over-$50M OW.

In short, stop whining. :)

I enjoyed both movies, I'm happy to see either hold the October record.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

It's still the #2 opening, and with the considerably smaller 3D share and no IMAX, it probably still sold as many tickets as Gravity (perhaps a smidge more, but we'll never be sure).

Gravity had a higher 3D share than Avatar; it may have had the highest average paid ticket price of any wide, over-$50M OW.

I liked both movies, I'm happy to see either hold the October record.

Sandra Bullock's starpower is more reliable than Matt Damon and Gravity had a shorter runtime. For Martian to open this big is quite strong. I predicted just $45M for its OW. $53.8M is fantastic and with strong WOM and lack of competition until Spectre comes out, 4x multiplier can happen.

Oh, and fuck you people who trash Gravity, I was at the edge of my fucking seat watching that movie for the first time, because I went in blind and had no idea if Sandra Bullock was going to survive - even though I should have known it wasn't going to be THAT kind of movie. (Astronauts-in-peril movies always manage to leave me clutching the armrests the first time I watch them, because I deliberately deny myself any spoilers - this time, I didn't even look up anything about the novel.)

The problem with Gravity is that it only truly works on a big screen in a darkened theater. My mother and I loved it in the theater, but when we watched it on hotel PPV it just didn't feel the same (and I fell asleep!) My father didn't understand what the fuss was about, because he didn't see it in the theater (believe me, I tried to get him to go, but by the time he was available, the only theater playing it in 2D was far away).

I wish WB would periodically re-release Gravity in theaters, the way they were doing with The Polar Express for a while. People need to be reminded why it worked originally, in the intended environment. I know some people had problems with the movie even in theaters, but it was such an experience that most people didn't pay attention to them.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

I enjoyed both movies, I'm happy to see either hold the October record.

Your maturity is very inspiring and is very much needed in the increasingly juvenile atmosphere around here...

• Like 2

Oh, and fuck you people who trash Gravity, I was at the edge of my fucking seat watching that movie for the first time, because I went in blind and had no idea if Sandra Bullock was going to survive - even though I should have known it wasn't going to be THAT kind of movie. (Astronauts-in-peril movies always manage to leave me clutching the armrests the first time I watch them, because I deliberately deny myself any spoilers - this time, I didn't even look up anything about the novel.)

The problem with Gravity is that it only truly works on a big screen in a darkened theater. My mother and I loved it in the theater, but when we watched it on hotel PPV it just didn't feel the same (and I fell asleep!) My father didn't understand what the fuss was about, because he didn't see it in the theater (believe me, I tried to get him to go, but by the time he was available, the only theater playing it in 2D was far away).

I wish WB would periodically re-release Gravity in theaters, the way they were doing with The Polar Express for a while. People need to be reminded why it worked originally, in the intended environment. I know some people had problems with the movie even in theaters, but it was such an experience that most people didn't pay attention to them.

In a normal theater that long, drawn out opening when the space shuttle & George Clooney sloooooowly come into focus will be unbearably boring in a smaller screen. On IMAX, that scene feels, looks incredible. It felt like peering through an opening of some giant space station overlooking the whole movie. Great use of Large Format Theater, just like James Cameron's use of 3D in Avatar to enhance the experience rather than diminish it

Edited by zackzack

Sandra Bullock's starpower is more reliable than Matt Damon and Gravity had a shorter runtime. For Martian to open this big is quite strong. I predicted just $45M for its OW. $53.8M is fantastic and with strong WOM and lack of competition until Spectre comes out, 4x multiplier can happen.

Somebody here  is already predicting $220M final tally based on that $55M opening.....

In a normal theater that long, drawn out opening when the space shuttle & George Clooney sloooooowly come into focus will be unbearably boring in a smaller screen.

Having seen it both on a "regular" screen (largest screen in an older 6-screen multiplex) and in IMAX, I think it worked on both. (My first viewing was regular 2D, then I went to another theater to see it in full-size IMAX 3D - I don't like 3D and actively avoid it, but I had to make an exception that time.)

I wish I could see it in 2D 15/70. A pity they didn't make any prints (to my knowledge).

Edited by TServo2049

even without any records this is a great weekend to start October!

HT2 held great! TM has a shot at 200m+

The rest of the month we still have Crimson Peak, Bridge of Spies, the Last Witch Hunter, Steve Jobs and maybe some other surprises, i can see a healthy month all around!

Hotel Transylvania 2 with a (no pun intended) monster hold this weekend. It may end up challenging the 200M mark based on next weekend's hold. Right now, it will finish at around 190M if it follows the first movie's trajectory.

Sony's #1 and #2 movies domestically for 2015 so far both star Adam Sandler.

Pan and Goosebumps should keep it closer to $170-175 million.

But it's definitely strong.

Martian - $215 to 225 million

HT2 - $170 to 180 million

Steve Jobs - $110 to 130 million

Bridge of Spies - $105 to 125 million

Goosebumps - $90 to 110 million

The Intern - $75 to 85 million

Maze Runner 2 - $75 to 80 million

Pan - $65 to 75 million

The Visit/Crimson Peak/Black Mass - $60 to 65 million

The Walk/new PA - $45 to 55 million

Sicario/Everest/Last Witch Hunter - $35 to 45 million

Not too shabby for Fall 2015. November and December should be gigantic

Edited by mahnamahna

SPA is the only animation studio to not have a $200m domestic grosser yet, HT2 will be the closest if it can hit $175-180m. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up outgrossing Home OS which is doable considering the first film did $210m OS 

Kind of weird that Sony decided to put Goosebumps only three weeks after HT2 but I guess as one is a hybrid and the other fully animated, perhaps they thought they could co-exist

Edited by Jonwo