kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I had to force myself to see the end. I paid to see it and wasn't going to walk out but it was taking a lot of willpower to stay. I go late and didn't want to put my local cinema through that. I've heard yes they do but to me, I'll just accept it and vent elsewhere.

Yeah. I've seen what I need to see. I'm getting my gift card refund.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Are the Oscars THAT desperate for ratings?

They are, Disney pay a fortune for the show and they just acquired a large debt. But I imagine the voters are not, they do not benefit from those ratings, it is not like the Globe I doubt voters have the show rating in mind when they votes.

And they made that extremely obvious in récents year's, going all whites nominees after the oscarsowhite #campaign, not putting Dark Knight or Force Awaken and many others popular stuff anywhere, it look like most simply vote their top 5, not liking being told what to do or not caring at all.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do cinemas usually give refunds if someone chooses to leave before this ends?

Around here? No. You typically have about 30 minutes into the film before you lose your money.

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

The cinema guy just said they'll just give me a gift card so... that's cool I guess.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

You just took advantage of your theater. I don't know how you theater expects to make any money. lol

Yeah, that's an INCREDIBLY scummy thing to do. You paid for this movie and sat through it; don't bitch to your theater because you didn't like it.

• Like 3

As for theater refund, if the projection was correctly made they are obviously not obligated (legally or morally) to reimburse or give a voucher to anyone, it is the viewer responsability and in 2017 information about a movie was abondent.

That said not necessarily a bad business decision to do it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Around here? No. You typically have about 30 minutes into the film before you lose your money.

Yeah, that's an INCREDIBLY scummy thing to do. You paid for this movie and sat through it; don't bitch to your theater because you didn't like it.

It's honestly not the theaters fault (like I've said multiple times) so I kind of agree but I don't know what other way that I could let Paramount know how conned I felt leaving this last night. If they had a customer service line, I'd probably call it (no joke) but I don't want to take it out on some poor employee either. But yeah, I definitely didn't think it was anywhere near worth the $15. Being pissed off for a half hour driving back over something you paid for is not a fun experience. No one asked for a refund where I was though or walked out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Nothing against Jenn Lawrence but I didn't think the performance here was a standout or anything. For the first half she was pretty one note in her reactions and lines and that's why I found the film so repetitive. At one point something happens and she starts to express more but I didn't think her character had that much depth.

I thought the character she played in Passengers was actually more developed and this was definitely no Silver Linings Playbook. She's impressed me more in past films but I did like how she looked slightly different here.

It is all a matter of how you appreciate a performance. All the intensity of the movie is channeled through her. Her expressiveness is incredible, then she took it to a point that bordered on self-harm. That was extremely impressive Fearless. The thing that hurts her in this regard is that she has such virtuosity that people may not appreciate it. But it blew me away. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh we know. My boss just spent his free gift card on a hotdog and drink. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, straggler said:

It is all a matter of how you appreciate a performance. All the intensity of the movie is channeled through her. Her expressiveness is incredible, then she took it to a point that bordered on self-harm. That was extremely impressive Fearless. The thing that hurts her in this regard is that she has such virtuosity that people may not appreciate it. But it blew me away. 

In the last act, yeah she was good but I've felt her reach those levels before. As far as actress performances, no one has topped Kristen Stewart in Personal Shopper for me this year (Rooney Mara was powerful in what screen time she had in A Ghost Story too). That scene in the police station was some of the best acting I've seen all year.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 11:29 AM, straggler said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who went in expecting a traditional jump scare horror movie. This film has had two festival openings, a ton of social media reaction, numerous reviews, and a director whose style is well established. Unless the ads were saying "scariest movie since the Exorcist", cannot say people were misled. This film is a tough sell. It is too out there to get a platformed release, and too art house to be a wide release. I think getting as much now, then scaling back, then re-releasing around awards time is the best approach. This film is destined to make its money in the secondary markets.   

Except that most of the "general audience" doesn't really pay attention to most of these things overall...They don't care about "festival reaction"...Many don't really "read" reviews anymore (other than skimming RT)...and I'd venture to say that 9/10 people on the street wouldn't know who who the heck Darren Aronofsky is if you asked them.

...But they do see trailers and marketing. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

In the last act, yeah she was good but I've felt her reach those levels before. As far as actress performances, no one has topped Kristen Stewart in Personal Shopper for me this year (Rooney Mara was powerful in what screen time she had in A Ghost Story too). That scene in the police station was some of the best acting I've seen all year.

Fair enough. It is very subjective. I just love Jlaw's naturalistic ability. That ability to convey emotion even silently is god given. The intensity just kept ratcheting up and then exploded. One of the most without a net performances I ever saw. Remains to be seen.  Being nominated four times already might work against her, but this performance was right up my alley. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

C'mon, guys, no way around it, this is bad. It's a movie with a major star. The Witch had none, and Crimson Peak had known faces w/o boxoffice power. So Mother! should have opened bigger by default. Doubtful that controversy and toxic WOM reached GA that fast already. 

I am still wondering if it is a preview type of movie as much as some.  I guess it depends on who attends.

41 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Jlaw joked in a recent interview she s taking a two year acting hiatus.

Joke or Tarantino told her to STFU ?

Who knows really.

She didn't really. An interviewer asked her about the grueling filming and then about whether she ever thought of taking a break and she said she guessed she was, she didn't have anything 'set' for two years.  But at the end she laughed and said 'see you in six months' (the Red Sparrow promo.)  I'm pretty sure one of her many other circling projects will get a specific date by the time she finishes Red Sparrow promo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Except the most of the "general audience" doesn't really pay attention to most of these things overall...They don't care about "festival reaction"...Many don't really "read" reviews anymore (other than skimming RT)...and I'd venture to say that 9/10 people on the street wouldn't know who who the heck Darren Aronofsky is if you asked them.

...But they do see trailers and marketing. 

So they don't react to reviews/WOM? OK. A lesson for the future then. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That said not necessarily a bad business decision to do it.

The reason they give out late refunds was that the cinema gets a higher rate of "misbehaving audiences" at a certain time of day (e.g. it's right next to a school and 6th form with loud teens and at screenings that happen around school letting out they give out refunds, if I went to screening an hour after this one they couldn't do a thing)

Just now, straggler said:

So they don't react to reviews/WOM? OK. A lesson for the future then. 

Yes and no.  Of course they "hear" this stuff.  And yes, I think social media is the "review network" for many these days...usurping traditional film reviews. 

• Like 1