kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

I'm still planning on seeing this, and I haven't read the spoilers. The divisive reactions makes me very curious about what mine will be. Hopefully I'll finally get my MoviePass card at some point so I can watch mother! before it leaves the theaters.

Also surprised to learn that Drive had mismarketing/low CinemaScore. The trailers didn't seem misleading to me and I felt I got the movie I was expecting, which I loved. Hopefully mother! will be the same. 

• Like 1

Saw it at a 3:30 PM showing. While the film had my attention for much of its duration, I felt like I still wasted my time when I watched it. The film tries too hard to fling too many symbols and perceived "metaphors" in the film to the point where I just stopped trying to figure out all of it. Very convoluted, but still somewhat entertaining, so it just gets a 5/10 from me. If you want to see it, do so on a $5 Tuesday. $7.25 felt a tad too much for this kind of experience.

And I still don't understand what people see in Aronofsky. Another Get Out or "deep and meaningful horror film" this was not. It was claptrap.

Edited by NoobSaibot
"Captivated" is too inaccurate a word.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Saw it at a 3:30 PM showing. While the film had my attention for much of its duration, I felt like I still wasted my time when I watched it. The film tries too hard to fling too many symbols and perceived "metaphors" in the film to the point where I just stopped trying to figure out all of it. Very convoluted, but still somewhat entertaining, so it just gets a 5/10 from me. If you want to see it, do so on a $5 Tuesday. $7.25 felt a tad too much for this kind of experience.

And I still don't understand what people see in Aronofsky. Another Get Out or "deep and meaningful horror film" this was not. It was claptrap.

That isn't a big price difference :lol: 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That isn't a big price difference :lol: 

And I still felt robbed. If I wanted to watch an experimental film, I can watch a college student's work. On YouTube. For free.

But that's what I get for not reading reviews and trying to walk into this with a clean slate. I ended up not getting what I hoped for.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

And I still felt robbed. If I wanted to watch an experimental film, I can watch a college student's work. On YouTube. For free.

But that's what I get for not reading reviews and trying to walk into this with a clean slate. I ended up not getting what I hoped for.

Exactly how I felt.

11 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Audience Score is 50% on RT. Yeah, I think toxic word of mouth is coming.

Or the alt right trolls I mentioned in an earlier post who thought she said Trump caused hurricanes.

9 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

This might actually damage Lawrence's career, as audiences will not trust her judgment after this.  If she isn't in the Tarantino movie, ooh boy.  Red Sparrow could be lousy, and then Kinberg's X-Men movie?  

9 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

True of Serena, but not this.  This is opening wide.  

So few posts. So much hatred.  So much hard acquired knowledge of Jen's career. Sad.

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I've gone from looking forward to mother! to not wanting to watch it at all. Will likely skip it completely unless it's lucky enough to get a Best Picture nomination.

Honestly, I was engrossed.

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

No thanks. Once I read about it's...takes on religion....I'd rather spend my money and see It.

I think those should have been left out altogether.  they were supposed to reinforce the 

Spoiler

mother earth being despoiled theme.

Biblical references seem like catnip to A but to be honest, imho, they didn't work, and distracted from the theme, wholly apart from any other objection.  Having said that, I found the movie and performances powerful. And I expected to hate it.

6 hours ago, straggler said:

If you like classic films you will probably like it. I'm glad I saw it. Seeing it again. 

Same.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, trifle said:

Or the alt right trolls I mentioned in an earlier post who thought she said Trump caused hurricanes.

You're not going to be thrilled with the figures Dateline posted. They aren't alt right trolls. That's really unfair at this point especially with that Cinemascore and a lot of these reviews saying they showed up to see Jenn.

It's not a horror movie. 

I tried to avoid any marketing for this and only just now properly watched a trailer. It does make it look like a horror movie with jump scares and some kind of twist. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'd be cautious to blame the alt right entirely for this movie's low audience scores. Especially when you actually start reading some of the reviews.

This isn't a Snatched situation. 

Even the online scores for Ghostbusters shocked me. Alt-Right barely touched them and the scores seem quite fair.I would have thought the scores would be manipulated down to excessive lows like 1's and 2's.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

Even the online scores for Ghostbusters shocked me. Alt-Right barely touched them and the scores seem quite fair.I would have thought the scores would be manipulated down to excessive lows like 1's and 2's.

The religious right was pretty active against Noah. They actively gave it low scores initially. Eventually they move on and in time the score recovers.  The way the deadline article read mostly Jen and Darren fans went and seen it. That CinemaScore for Darren's fan base isn't good. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I'd be cautious to blame the alt right entirely for this movie's low audience scores. Especially when you actually start reading some of the reviews.

This isn't a Snatched situation. 

Specially with a F cinemascore, cinemascore cannot be manipulated by a small group over voting online, they are paying customer picked, maybe it will go up overtime has it reach is natural audience, but with that general audience reaction, would expect very low score.

• Like 1