kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

As I mentioned above, while I was trying to keep spoilers from these pictures out of this thread, I posted a bunch of them in the review thread.  But I want to post my favorite of those here:

These were extras. Not CGI. Filmed within the confines of a house.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Scorsese on mother! 

Is it a picture that has to be explained? What about the experience of watching mother!? It was so tactile, so beautifully staged and acted—the subjective camera and the POV reverse angles, always in motion…the sound design, which comes at the viewer from around corners and leads you deeper and deeper into the nightmare…the unfolding of the story, which very gradually becomes more and more upsetting as the film goes forward. The horror, the dark comedy, the biblical elements, the cautionary fable—they’re all there, but they’re elements in the total experience, which engulfs the characters and the viewers along with them. Only a true, passionate filmmaker could have made this picture, which I’m still experiencing weeks after I saw it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-box-office-obsession-why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

all that 'obsession with box office' he talks about....do you think he reads this site? :P

There was a screening last night where Jen and Aronofsky held a post screening Q&A apparently...

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

How nice that three more members of the Academy Directing branch are on board :ph34r: 

It turns out there was this screening at Soho House and that more screenings are planned:

Darren Aronofsky’s controversial film “Mother!” sharply divided critics and audiences last month when it hit theaters — but the movie’s getting big support in Hollywood from stars and directors as well as its studio, Paramount, heading into awards season.

Studio boss Jim Gianopulos and David O. Russell — who’s directed “Mother!” star Jennifer Lawrence in “American Hustle,” “Joy” and “Silver Linings Playbook” — hosted a VIP screening at LA’s Soho House for guests including Aronofsky and Lawrence, Charlize Theron, Sharon Stone, Rosario Dawson, Emma Roberts, Chris Tucker and Tyrese Gibson, as well as directors Alfonso Cuarón, Scott Cooper, Edgar Wright, Miguel Arteta and TV legend Norman Lear.

more at link https://pagesix.com/2017/10/11/hollywood-loves-darron-aronofskys-controversial-mother/

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

On 10/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, Lizzy said:

Scorsese is very Catholic and very religious.  It doesn't surprise me that he would love a film like this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

Scorsese is very Catholic and very religious.  It doesn't surprise me that he would love a film like this.

I don't think that's important. I'm an atheist and thought it was terrific. And he praises it exclusively for its cinematic qualities in the piece.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't think that's important. I'm an atheist and thought it was terrific. And he praises it exclusively for its cinematic qualities in the piece.

Sure, from a film makers point of view, I'm sure it's a terrific movie.  But filmmakers and people who pay to see a film look for different things.  

3 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

Have we seen the same movie? If he’s catholic, then he should be hated this movie when it comes to plot, since it give us one of the most cruel and selfish representations of God in the big screen. I know a lot of Catholics that were offended by this movie.

2 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

Sure, from a film makers point of view, I'm sure it's a terrific movie.  But filmmakers and people who pay to see a film look for different things.  

Sure about that? I pretty much got what I paid for.

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Have we seen the same movie? If he’s catholic, then he should be hated this movie when it comes to plot, since it give us one of the most cruel and selfish representations of God in the big screen. I know a lot of Catholics that were offended by this movie.

Scorsese has tackled faith in several of his films, including a controversial portrayal of Jesus in Last Temptation. There's pretty much no way he could have been offended by this :lol: 

• Like 1