kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

This is the second time this year the studio has pulled the wall over our eyes when marketing a film falsely as a horror movie. Why invest in a film if you don't think that you can sell it for what it really is? This is the type of film that if it played at Sundance or something and did not have an A-list cast, would probably get a standing ovation. Maybe if they had marketed it honestly people wouldnt have been so disillusioned with it. I still personally think it's a horrible film no matter what they do to try to Market it but at least be honest about it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

This is the second time this year the studio has pulled the wall over our eyes when marketing a film falsely as a horror movie. Why invest in a film if you don't think that you can sell it for what it really is? This is the type of film that if it played at Sundance or something and did not have an A-list cast, would probably get a standing ovation. Maybe if they had marketed it honestly people wouldnt have been so disillusioned with it. I still personally think it's a horrible film no matter what they do to try to Market it but at least be honest about it.

Honestly, I don't think there was any easy way to market it. The studio just put their trust in their leading lady's drawing power knowing what an impossible sell they had on their hands and hoped to make as much as they could in those first three days before venomous WOM killed it (had they gone the platform route, it would've stalled before reaching wide release with a less than $5M total). Except audiences didn't, especially when buzz that this was an especially unpleasant experience (and hoo boy is it such) was growing in the days before release.

The fact this movie even exists at all is its reward.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I didn't pay attention to the marketing but I think there was a high concept there they could've focused on.

But whatever. I maintain that a lot of people hating this right now are going to label it a "misunderstood masterpiece" in a few years.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I didn't pay attention to the marketing but I think there was a high concept there they could've focused on.

Whatever, I maintain that a lot of people hating this right now are going to label it a "misunderstood masterpiece" in a few years.

No they aren't. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But whatever. I maintain that a lot of people hating this right now are going to label it a "misunderstood masterpiece" in a few years.

I understood the movie just fine. There's nothing really to misunderstand about the film. I still think it's a piece of shit movie and my opinion on that isn't going to change over the years. Especially because I won't subject myself to watching it again years later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My theater has gotten so many requests for refunds that they took the movie passes out of the locked drawer and put them in a quickly accessible spot.  Ticket sellers have been instructed to ask elderly patrons if they have heard about the film, not out and out discouraging them from seeing it but warning what to expect.

Some are angry about being misled from the trailers (expected a horror film), some are angry about the incredibly anti-christian nature of the film (this is a very conservative/religious part of WI), and some just thought it was so that bad that they should get their money back for sitting through it. 

The whole thing was just a perfect storm of crazy.  JLaw gives these crazy statements about the hurricane while promoting this batshit crazy movie, lol.  

I'm amazed when the studio saw a rough cut of this that they didn't say, "sorry, we aren't releasing this garbage."

8 minutes ago, Gumby said:

JLaw gives these crazy statements about the hurricane while promoting this batshit crazy movie, lol

What crazy statement ? Global warming being a factor for them was a common statement made by a long list of people, United State is one of the very rare developed country were it would controversial let alone qualified as crazy.

14 minutes ago, Harley said:

No they aren't. 

If they are below 30 right now it is possible, movie taste can change by a huge amount getting older (and not predictable)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

If they are below 30 right now it is possible, movie taste can change by a huge amount getting older (and not predictable)

This older guy got up and yelled "THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!" before storming out of the theater with his wife following what will likely be the movie's most infamous scene. Audiences across all ages are rejecting this.

5 minutes ago, Gumby said:

My theater has gotten so many requests for refunds that they took the movie passes out of the locked drawer and put them in a quickly accessible spot.  Ticket sellers have been instructed to ask elderly patrons if they have heard about the film, not out and out discouraging them from seeing it but warning what to expect.

Some are angry about being misled from the trailers (expected a horror film), some are angry about the incredibly anti-christian nature of the film (this is a very conservative/religious part of WI), and some just thought it was so that bad that they should get their money back for sitting through it. 

The whole thing was just a perfect storm of crazy.  JLaw gives these crazy statements about the hurricane while promoting this batshit crazy movie, lol.  

I'm amazed when the studio saw a rough cut of this that they didn't say, "sorry, we aren't releasing this garbage."

Surprised there isn't a "No refunds after the movie starts" policy, or if people complain enough, they get free passes anyway? Sometimes the theaters here put up signs at the ticket window if a movie is "challenging", for The Artist there was a sign about it being silent and in black & white. Basically a warning ahead of time, so, hey, don't come looking for a refund later because we're not giving it to you.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This older guy got up and yelled "THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!" before storming out of the theater with his wife following what will likely be the movie's most infamous scene. Audiences across all ages are rejecting this.

Yes an older guy will never make a 180 degree on it either, taste are set pass a certain age.

I'm saying movie you hate/find boring young can change a decade later, didn't liked the first Jurassic Park/Alien/2001 a space odyssey when I was a kid, some of my favorite watching experience now and it is not something one can predict.

11 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Surprised there isn't a "No refunds after the movie starts" policy, or if people complain enough, they get free passes anyway? Sometimes the theaters here put up signs at the ticket window if a movie is "challenging", for The Artist there was a sign about it being silent and in black & white. Basically a warning ahead of time, so, hey, don't come looking for a refund later because we're not giving it to you.

The theater has always been pretty liberal regarding refunds.  But I do remember someone walking out of The Witch (a movie I liked) about 3/4 of the way through and wanting their money back and didn't get it.

There was signage about The Artist being a silent film at this theater, too.  

I suppose they could put up a sign for Mother saying, "This is the most indulgent and pretentious piece of shit you're ever going to see.  Enter at your own risk."

Edited by Gumby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only way Lawrence can be hurt by this is if it can be determined her out of context Hurricane controversy hurt the bottom line. Then she becomes a liability marketing a movie but I would be surprised to find this is the case. The GA work too hard for their money to throw it away on something they might not like. Simple as that.

Although I can't say I liked this movie, I have to applaud Darren Aronofsky for actually convincing a major studio to both fund it and give it a 2,000+ theater release to something so completely fucked up. I wouldn't tell anyone I know personally to see this unless someone complained that all movies are the same these days and wanted to point them in the direction of something so different from the usual multiplex fare to prove them wrong.

Edited by filmlover