kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

This is by far my favorite film story of the year. I thought it was a brilliant film, just a strange, intense, insane allegory with some great performances. But the idea that a major studio (a) made this and then (b) released it wide on an unsuspecting public with no platforming at all is incredible. Even understanding the type of film it is, the film is designed to make the audience uncomfortable, which it accomplishes very effectively. It verges on trolling. 

Edited by straggler

40 minutes ago, straggler said:

This is by far my favorite film story of the year. I thought it was a brilliant film, just a strange, intense, insane allegory with some great performances. But the idea that a major studio (a) made this and then (b) released it wide on an unsuspecting public with no platforming at all is incredible. Even understanding the type of film it is, the film is designed to make the audience uncomfortable, which it accomplishes very effectively. It verges on trolling. 

"We may have lost millions, but the trolling level was incredible" - Paramount junior exec

https://frinkiac.com/video/S09E22/_01jKOXt2rAdGgTMU9lR5Z4mRsw=.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Achieveing Cinematic History often comes with a Price and sometimes, it is the misunderstanding of The People and Scholars of its time.

But True Legacy Lives on, far Beyond the Realms of Death.

-_-

Edited by The Futurist

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Achieveing Cinematic History often comes with a Price and sometimes, it is the misunderstanding of The People and Scholars of our time.

But True Legacy Lives on, far Beyond the Realms of Death.

-_-

Is that price an F Cinemascore and one of the lowest opening weekends of the year?

Edited by AJG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, straggler said:

(b) released it wide on an unsuspecting public with no platforming at all is incredible

No that was the biggest dick move they could have done and if the movie fails to make back it's budget due to disastrous WOM (which it's certainly looking like) Paramount will have no one but themselves to blame due to the deceptive marketing. You call that trolling. I call that false advertising.

I think if they had marketed this as what it was, it wouldn't be getting nearly the same negative reaction it is. I don't know how they would have necessarily done that but the options were there. They chose the wrong route.

And they continue to put out really stupid marketing, tweeting tonight "Check out what audiences thought about mother!" after the F Cinemascore and the films extremely low rating on RT/Flixster. It's like they are pretending like none of that is happening.

It's funny, in the last two weekends, we've had one movie with some of the best marketing of the year followed by a movie with some of the worst.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

"We may have lost millions, but the trolling level was incredible" - Paramount junior exec

https://frinkiac.com/video/S09E22/_01jKOXt2rAdGgTMU9lR5Z4mRsw=.gif

Opening it wide was a bad business decision. But this will make money in the end. I think this will have a very long shelf life in secondary markets. Although they may need to do an edit for a TV version.

36 minutes ago, AJG said:

Is that price an F Cinemascore and one of the lowest opening weekends of the year?

Cinemascore is a survey of 400 people in 4-5 theaters. Small sampling aside, this type of film opening wide is going to get a score like that from all the basic bitches. It is a badge of honor. Either this film is horrible or a classic. 

Posted this in the weekend thread but I think my theory about Paramount contacting RT to change the poster from Jenn to Javiar last night might be true.

Look at the page now. That banner was a giant image of Jenns face as Mother last night, now it's Ed and Michelle. There's no sign of her anywhere on this page (until you scroll down to videos and photos).
7sfF4Is.jpg

Checked if this is common for RT to do after a few days of release but American Assassin and IT are still the exact same.

I do not think Paramount or Jennifer Lawrences agents are happy with the response of this movie.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw this last night. Was mostly confused and had a lot of "wtf?" moments but i didn't think it was horrible. I think it was weird in a good way and Jen's performance was spectacular. I hope the reception of the movie by the public doesn't affect her chances at awards because I think she did really well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, straggler said:

Opening it wide was a bad business decision. But this will make money in the end. 

Yeah, well...I guess at some point in the future, eventually somewhere along the road it will make money. Doesn't change the fact that it's flopping. Her career will be fine, though. I still believe that Red Sparrow will be the big commercial hit that will help audiences (and the industry) "forgive" Lawrence for mother! 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

She has never felt so out of control. In one scene she ventilated so hard she popped a rib. Later, the crew could only gape when, on cut, the leading lady fled on set in tears, with the director giving chase, shouting, ‘It’s not real! It’s not real!’

:lol:

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

She has never felt so out of control. In one scene she ventilated so hard she popped a rib. Later, the crew could only gape when, on cut, the leading lady fled on set in tears, with the director giving chase, shouting, ‘It’s not real! It’s not real!’

:lol:

She does a great job of selling her fear as things get more nutty later on in the movie, I'll say that much. Had me convinced.

That said, Oscars aren't gonna touch this movie with a 10 foot pole.

• Like 1