WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Goosebumps still a decent start considering it's 35 million budget, and it should hold up until The Peanuts, I'm thinking a total as of right now for it between 70-80 domestic. The Martian is still holding up decent, and should outgross Interstellar. Bridge Of Spies is still an ok start, but I'm thinking solid legs for it but not at all close to 100 domestic. it's a shame Crimson Peak bombed it looks visually well done and a film I would like to check out, and it should sneak past 30 million and make better money overseas. Pan is still the notorious flop here and overseas so now I'm thinking a total just above 40 million domestic and under 120 WW. HT2 is still holding up strong and before Halloween it should at least pass it's predecessor. Good to see The Intern, and Sicario holding up strong. The Intern should still do over 70 million domestic, and Sicario will get close to 45 million domestic.

Crimson Peak cost $55M?! I know it's a "Gothic romance" and not horror, but still imagined a budget along the lines of things like The Others, or that one with Daniel Radcliffe a few years ago. $55M...I guess the studio believed elaborate sets and special effects would dress up an extended Twilight Zone episode that a Brontë sister might have written. Find one of those old English mansions, rent the costumes like every other British period show, practical effects, and boom, you've halved the budget, at least.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

No, it isn't locked. It is only locked until MLK weekend. They might keep a show or two a day until Finest Hours if the demand is there, but 13 Hours or The 5h Wave can get IMAX on the MLK weekend if they want to.

So there ARE non-"must only play THIS movie on your IMAX screen during its engagement" IMAX contracts for first-run studio releases?

Edited by TServo2049

So there ARE non-"must only play THIS movie on your IMAX screen during its engagement" IMAX contracts for first-run studio releases?

IMAX contracts are normally 3 weeks according to their CEO. But they can remove movies based on performance as happened when San Andreas shared screens with Tomorrowland.

IMAX contracts are normally 3 weeks according to their CEO. But they can remove movies based on performance as happened when San Andreas shared screens with Tomorrowland.

The monster of all IMAX beatdowns was when Dark Shadows went up against Avengers. :lol:

Crimson Peak cost $55M?! I know it's a "Gothic romance" and not horror, but still imagined a budget along the lines of things like The Others, or that one with Daniel Radcliffe a few years ago. $55M...I guess the studio believed elaborate sets and special effects would dress up an extended Twilight Zone episode that a Brontë sister might have written. Find one of those old English mansions, rent the costumes like every other British period show, practical effects, and boom, you're halve the budget, at least.

Yeah, building that haunted house for the movie was a waste of money. :lol:

Lincoln made 180M off a 21M wide opening.

Lincoln opened in over 1,000 theaters less than Bridge of Spies, and it opened pretty close to the holiday season, where those types of films have better legs. That is an extremely faulty comparison. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

This Fall season is reminding me why Fall used to be a bad time to release movies...it still is to some extent. Kid's movies are always going to do well and it seems like the market can bear at least one adult-skewing breakout (this year it's The Martian), but I feel like with less competition some of these other adult films like The Walk or Everest would've done much better.

I think Hollywood kinda got carried away after the success of Gravity and others in recent years, thinking the market could carry all of these big movies.

The Walk was never going to perform well irrespective of where it got placed. Also, it was never going to be a big movie, so I have no idea why you are likening it to Gravity. 

My showing of Bridge of Spies got a lot of applause. This will play well with adult crowds for a while.

I'm a perfect example of the target audience for this.  I really want to see it because of SS and TH but I don't have the time to rush out and see it.  I'll more than likely see it next weekend.

DAJK or anyone else who has worked at a theater: Has there ever been a movie that was playing at your theater that sold NO tickets for an entire weekend? (Or if not that, at least for a single day on a weekend?)

Not really related to everything, but I am just curious.

Edited by TServo2049

DAJK or anyone else who has worked at a theater: Has there ever been a movie that was playing at your theater that sold NO tickets for an entire weekend? (Or if not that, at least for a single day on a weekend?)

Not really related to everything, but I am just curious.

Not since I've worked there but last year we had Son of God for only 1 week and the only days people showed up were Sunday matinee and Tuesday night.

This, seriously. It's a Cold War espionage film, not an Indiana Jones movie. Anyone screaming "itz a bomb" regarding this movie should just find another hobby.

And it cost 40 Millon to make....chump change in today's world.ANy studio would sign on for a Hanks/Spielberg movie on any topic with that budget. It just opened at a bad time....The Martian siphoned off a good deal of the "Grown Up" audience this movie was aiming for,and also with SPECTRE a couple of weeks out people are not anxious for a spy movie since they well be going ot see one in a couple of weeks time.

But With international box office and ancillerty income, the studio and Spielberg will get their money back.

I like Del Toro, but his box office performances make me sad. The best of his films barely break even. I was just looking at the Top 25 Directors by box office on IMDb and it is pretty ridiculous when both Del Toro and Scorsese are nowhere to be found but Dennis Dugan makes the list.