kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Everything about that movie is alarming. I'm really hoping for some laughs out of that one.

I'm a big fan of both Brad and Angelina and thought Unbroken showed some promising signs of a potentially strong director but this is giving me some pretty bad vibes. Like, "This Decade's Swept Away" pretty bad vibes.

• Like 1

I kinda thought Steve Jobs could go under BoS OW. The marketing for it was either non-existent or boring when it was present. Not exactly a winning combo for a big OW. At this point, the Academy will have to nominate The Martian and SW just to get anyone to tune into the Oscars. 

If the Steve Jobs numbers hold, executives at Sony will be happy they got the better end of the deal. Sony's issues may have some merit when they were afraid that not a lot of people would actually want to watch a Steve Jobs biopic this quickly after his death.

If Steve Jobs does come in at 8-10M, then all major Oscar contenders so far will have disappointed either critically or commercially (or both). But Jobs not doing great business would impact Fassbender's bid the most. DiCaprio just hanging back and watching all the other contenders fail before unleashing The Revenant at the last possible moment.

The Oscars have become less and less about mainstream popular pictures every year. Seriously, only one of the best picture nominations made more then 100m domestically last year, and that was American Sniper. Fassbender should be fine.

They probably shouldn't have hired Michael Fassbender, a guy who actually makes moviegoers less likely to see a film after they find out he's in it! 

According to whom?  

This is a bit of a strange post.

• Like 4

According to whom?  

This is a bit of a strange post.

They did some study/polling re: Hollywood stars and their ability to draw an audience. Fassbender was one notable name who, when the questioner mentioned that he was in a particular film, made the interest in the film decrease rather than increase. 

• Like 2

They did some study/polling re: Hollywood stars and their ability to draw an audience. Fassbender was one notable name who, when the questioner mentioned that he was in a particular film, made the interest in the film decrease rather than increase. 

What the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 1

Ah good to know. As long as "they" conducted the study it must be reliable. 

• Like 1

that's actually true I read that it was in Hollywood reporter or something. though to be fair that was specifically tied to this film I think? like maybe they thought steve jobs should be played by some huge name, which fassbender isn't, and that made the interest go down rather than the man himself.

Link or I just can't believe that :lol: Sounds like total bullshit. 

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-hunger-games-mockingjay-box-office-1201600785/

"In fall anticipation surveys, interest in Steve Jobs dropped 7.9% when people were told Fassbender was the star. And while I kinda get that one given the lack of resemblance, interest in Macabeth drops 23.5% when Fassbender and Cotillard are paired with the film- which baffles me and makes me wonder if Fassbender isn't sparking any interest in audiences".

Though it wouldn't surprise me at all, if they only polled like 40 people.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2