Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Just now, Arlborn said:

800m is the reported break even point apparently, so anything under that I suppose?

I'd guess. Maybe I'm stuck in in thinking like ASM2, where Sony needed a bigger payday to launch the Spidey-verse. But I suppose the difference being that Sony is in poor shape. WB isn't, so they should be fine as long as they continue to make some sort of profit. (But these numbers are just guesses aren't they, we'll never know the exact ones.)

Maybe I should stop speculating on the profitability of BvS...

If this was 2006

Batman vs superman gross would be gigantic

In 2016 when Ant Man makes half a billion.

850 ww is not impressive for such a high profile large scaled and heavily hyped movie.

If this was a batman movie or mos 2 this would be a solid result..but this is MOS + another solo batman movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I'd guess. Maybe I'm stuck in in thinking like ASM2, where Sony needed a bigger payday to launch the Spidey-verse. But I suppose the difference being that Sony is in poor shape. WB isn't, so they should be fine as long as they continue to make some sort of profit. (But these numbers are just guesses aren't they, we'll never know the exact ones.)

Maybe I should stop speculating on the profitability of BvS...

After the mostly rough 2015 they had, I imagine they're not feeling on top of the world at the moment.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After the mostly rough 2015 they had, I imagine they're not feeling on top of the world at the moment.

Maybe, but not as bad as Sony seems to be having it. They still have some decent money makers in the near future, SS looks decent, and the HP spin off.

^^^

2nd of all, you are wrong since you contradicted yourself  in your own post. :P

But hey if flipping out and causing trouble is your thing, more  power to you. :)

I've never reported you ever so I truly don't give a crap.  So all is good :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomJC said:

I'm curious now.

What would have been the # WB would have been unhappy with?

What the got now, is what they should be unhappy with. I know $825+ mil is a huge WW number, but as someone who is very DC leaning, they 100% should've changed SOMETHING going into JL. It's very disappointing seeing what they're doing, but moreso how the general audience is viewing the DCEU.

• Like 1

I hate the movie made 800m thats HUGE, argument. To me and you yes. But thats not how business works.

Disneyland has averaged like 15.8m people a year for over a decade. If in 2016 Disney does 12m people THATS BAD. Did they make profit, sure, but now The new ride gets pushed back. Rides maybe get less refurbs, you get less street-mosphere, maybe one parade less a day. 

About a year ago I read how McDonalds wasn't doing great because they added 400 Franchises instead of 800 this year (Idk the real numbers). Are they not making money? No they are, but the shareholders are not happy and the STOCKS go down. Same with WB. This has major effects that will not be visible to see or know about. 

Think about it, oh Ill pay of my vacation with my taxes I'm gonna get like 3,000 back. You only got 1,000 bucks back, now you don't go on vacation or shortern you're trip.

So yes BvS failed I think. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

What the got now, is what they should be unhappy with. I know $825+ mil is a huge WW number, but as someone who is very DC leaning, they 100% should've changed SOMETHING going into JL. It's very disappointing seeing what they're doing, but moreso how the general audience is viewing the DCEU.

We'll probably see more of what they've changed a year from now. My guess any changes they are keeping hush hush.

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

800m is the reported break even point apparently, so anything under that I suppose?

I don't see how there could be a break even number for a movie's gross. It is impossible. The reason being, the movie studio gets a different percentage of the profits in each country. Domestically, the movie studio gets 50% and the movie theaters get 50%, which is why domestic numbers are so easy to work with. However, OS the percentages vary by country. Generally, the movie studio gets about 40% OS. However, the movie studio only gets 25% in China. Therefore, there is no way for any number to be a break even point because generally studios get a bigger share of the profits domestically than they do OS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I don't see how there could be a break even number for a movie's gross. It is impossible. The reason being, the movie studio gets a different percentage of the profits in each country. Domestically, the movie studio gets 50% and the movie theaters get 50%, which is why domestic numbers are so easy to work with. However, OS the percentages vary by country. Generally, the movie studio gets about 40% OS. However, the movie studio only gets 25% in China. Therefore, there is no way for any number to be a break even point because generally studios get a bigger share of the profits domestically than they do OS.

Well because they do all there prelim numbers themselves and get a solid idea of its range in each country. They have a better understanding than us on all those rates.  Plus the final total does factor into how much they can sell it to TV stations, VOD services and so on. 

6 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Well because they do all there prelim numbers themselves and get a solid idea of its range in each country. They have a better understanding than us on all those rates.  Plus the final total does factor into how much they can sell it to TV stations, VOD services and so on.

I found a great website that really explains how movie studios make money and what is really going on. However, I feel like this website just put the authors book online. Therefore, since I can't tell if the site is owned by the author, there may be copyright issues, so I won't post the link here. But, if anyone is interested in the movie industry, PM me, and I will send you the link for the website/book.

• Like 1

That tossed around budget of $250m has been called into question.  Variety recently said it was more like $300m+ after tax rebates.  Marketing according to WB was $160-65m.  So at the low end $410m and the high $465m+ for production and marketing.

But let's say it's $410m combined, it's currently still in the red in terms of theatrical by approx $46m

Dom: 55%

O/S : 40% on avg

China: 25%

Current numbers

Dom:  $312,780,395 x 55% = $172,029,217.25

OS-China:  $425,277,374 x 40% = $170,110,949.6

China: $95,822,626 x 25% = $23,955,656.5

Current B.O. return to the studio =$366,095,823.35

If it finishes at $872m ww (which is I think a generous projection)

Dom: $327m x 55%  = $179.85m

China: $95.82m x 25% = $23.96m

OS-China: $450m x 40%  = $180m

= $383.81m return to the studio

It'll make it's profit in ancillary with TV and Video and also with hopefully increased merchandise sales.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I hate the movie made 800m thats HUGE, argument. To me and you yes. But thats not how business works.

Yeah... it really doesn't matter how much the movie made... success/failure internal to WB depends on what they expected it to make.

No matter what our products' profit margin is or how much revenue growth we have... if we don't hit the forecasted numbers for the year it is considered a failure and various people are held accountable.  Our Segment made plenty of profit 1st quarter.  But it was so under the budgeted numbers that we had a RIF in hopes of at least coming close to hitting our EBITDA numbers for the year.   If we are significantly under for the year... even executive heads will roll.

For any new project in our company to be greenlit the Product/Sales Managers have to document and commit to expected expenses, projected revenue and projected profits over a 5-10 year period.  That 'solution brief', as it's called... has to be approved up the chain 3 or 4 levels... including to someone that reports directly to our CEO. 

Even if the project is successful... if those projections are not met when they were supposed to be met people are held accountable.  Miss by a big number or miss a lot of times... people go away.

I guarantee that when BvS was greenlit expense and revenue projections were made and people had commit to them.  If the movie significantly misses those projections someone will be held accountable.

If a movie ends up being listed on the Annual Statement or 10-K as a reason for a write off or decreased EPS than someone will lose their job.

I have no clue what their revenue projections were for BvS.

It will make a profit but we have no idea of what kind of profit it was expected to make.

That is all that matters to them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That tossed around budget of $250m has been called into question.  Variety recently said it was more like $300m+ after tax rebates.  Marketing according to WB was $160-65m.  So at the low end $410m and the high $465m+ for production and marketing.

But let's say it's $410m combined, it's currently still in the red in terms of theatrical by approx $46m

Dom: 55%

O/S : 40% on avg

China: 25%

Current numbers

Dom:  $312,780,395 x 55% = $172,029,217.25

OS-China:  $425,277,374 x 40% = $170,110,949.6

China: $95,822,626 x 25% = $23,955,656.5

Current B.O. return to the studio =$366,095,823.35

If it finishes at $872m ww (which is I think a generous projection)

Dom: $327m x 55%  = $179.85m

China: $95.82m x 25% = $23.96m

OS-China: $450m x 40%  = $180m

= $383.81m return to the studio

It'll make it's profit in ancillary with TV and Video and also with hopefully increased merchandise sales.

Im sure the numbers you're stating are closer on the high end.

But yes, WB isn't losing money here.

But profit isn't really the issue with this films performance.

• Like 1

When it comes to movie profits, never forget tha this is WB we're talking about. That studio notoriously claimed that some of its Harry Potter movies actually lost money, despite raking in from $796M to $1.3B WW per installment. No matter what WB's official party line is regarding BvS' success or failure, their word will always be supect, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Talkie said:

When it comes to movie profits, never forget tha this is WB we're talking about. That studio notoriously claimed that some of its Harry Potter movies actually lost money, despite raking in from $796M to $1.3B WW per installment. No matter what WB's official party line is regarding BvS' success or failure, their word will always be supect, IMO. 

They never, ever, ever claimed they lost money on Harry Potter.

You need a new...

Talkie point.

Yes, I made that joke.  Deal with it.