Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Why don't we talk about other franchises besides Marvel and DC in this thread?

Like, for example, Divergent :sparta:

I'm up for Mission Impossible talk?

What about speculation on Bourne?

Is all this talk about Daniel Craig being Bond one last time for the 25th film going to really happen or not?

Who else thinks we need one more Underworld film to really wrap that thing up tight?

Jurassic World 2 anybody? Or just take it to that thread?

Did overseas save Jack Reacher 2 enough to get one more film do complete a trilogy?

Other than bad puns and jokes about Harrison Fords age what is it people would like to see the McGuffin be for IJ5?

What about that rumor mill where Lionsgate wants to do Hunger Games prequels?

Just how much money will it take to get Peter Jackson and the Tolkien estate to agree on a collaboration of the Silmarillion? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Subzero said:

NO heck no, keep her away from Batgirl. She's a franchise killer ...don't have the acting chops, nor the look.

She's ok and all, but don't find her all that interesting.

!?! She is definitely one of the most gifted and effortless actress imo (arguably the best crier for example), she more than hold her own on Big Little Lies (not easy thing to do with those co-star)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I didn't say they ripped them off. But it's the same film, whether intentional or not. Civil War is better put together and flows better, but I didn't get any sense of stakes in the film until the final fight. And even then, I've been on record saying that IM/Cap were never friends, so the whole fighting thing was built up over... coworkers basically.

I enjoyed BvS more, but would probably rate the films similarly.

Aaaaand I quote...

Most of Civil War is so, so shoddy. A BvS ripoff, if you will.

I take it that the "if you will" implied a possible figure of speech, but still, it's definitely not clear enough to be anything other than vague. If that's not what you meant, then maybe try to word yourself more clearly.

Also, I get your complaints, but I feel like CW was more about the set-up and the motivations than it was about the stakes. Would I rather if there was more intensity? Yeah. But still. Doesn't disregard or not validate your opinion at all, though, that's just my own take.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:19 AM, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree, and I'm no Snyder fan myself. It's kind of an overtouched topic.

I mean, do I agree that poorly devised scripts failed the 1st few DCEU movies? I do, but at this point, I'm over it. In the case that JLA turns awful, then fuck it, it was Snyder's last time in the chair anyway.

I have no idea if the Superman fail is all on Snyder personally.   For all I know, it's WB/DC trying to make him into Batman because Batman is so popular.

21 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Stop trying to use your opinion as fact. You're sounding like a Trump supporter at this point.

The Transformers movies are trash to me too, but our opinion doesn't matter. People like the Transformers franchise (well, at least they used to), and that's a fact.

It's also a fact that BVS made a ton of money on box office and later on home video, it had high ratings on TV, its spin-off made a ton of money this Summer and its sequel is getting high trailer views. 

So, I can say objectively that Zack Snyder didn't ruin Superman for audiences. Or Batman, or Wonder Woman, or Lex Luthor.

Hey...if that's what DC fans want, then that's what you will get.   Maybe Transformers fans don't mind that it's seen as a joke as long as they can point to box office.   That will certainly enable WB to keep doing the same thing.

20 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Thor 2 had a boring villain, too much bad humor, and the romance was very weak.

I liked the first Thor. It was as good as the first Cap.

I think their first mistake was going with stunt casting with Portman.   I'm sure they thought the geeks would turn out in droves to see her.   Not sure how they thought her and Hems had any chemistry.

Then they added in the Scooby gang and naked Skarsgard.   Not sure what they were thinking with any of that.

Mixing silly in with heavy stuff can work, but it never seemed to mess well in Thor 2.    I'll add that it could happen to Thor 3 too.   The trailer looks like they are mixing really silly stuff with really serious stuff again.

20 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Nah. First Cap is leaps and bounds better than first Thor or Thor 2. First Cap is fucking great, and it only got better throughout the sequels. Cap has arguably the best superhero trilogy as far as my opinion goes. It's not better than either Batman Begins or Iron Man, but the trilogy itself is more consistent. 

I didn't care for the 1st Cap all that much but it got awesome with the last 2.  It's like the reverse of the Iron Man trilogy and to some extent the Batman trilogy.   I thought both of those peaked with the first movie.

And I didn't even like Cap before.   He's probably my favorite Marvel character not named Spider-Man now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

BVS rip-off? Huh? Okay, if someone complains about finding the movie boring or disliking its filmmaking, whatever, that doesn't bother me. But calling it a BVS rip-off is just stupid, to say the least. Civil War was greenlit as a response to BVS, that's true, but it still doesn't change the fact that both movies came out with two months of separation, and CW was being screened in advance just a few weeks after BVS' release. It's virtually impossible that anybody at Marvel saw anything related to BVS before they started shootings on CW. And yes, BVS finished its own shootings in 2014, but again, post-production had barely started by the time CW's filmings began. Therefore, that accusation is ridiculous. I'm not denying that they're virtually the same movie, cause they kinda are, apart from a different direction at the end... but one being a rip-off of the other is the shadiest and most "do you have any idea of what you're talking about?" dissing I've ever seen regarding any of those movies :rofl:

Otherwise, Armageddon was a rip-off of Deep Impact as well. Same for Volcano compared to Dante's Peak.

Why is it stupid? They ripped off the basic idea of BVS which was a hero against another. You may not call it a rip-off, call it what you want, but you know what Marvel did there. The directors admitted it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

According to Batman-on-film.com, an early cut of the film Justice League was deemed “unwatchable.”

http://www.batman-on-film.com/dc-comics-on-film_JUSTICE-LEAGUE_news_Cyborg-reshoots-IGN_8-11-17.html

"Cyborg" always felt like a tacked on character to me.   He's the Hawkeye of the JL.   Just leave him out and you'll have more time for the interesting characters.

@Napoleon The idea is a rip-off. Not the movie itself, which is what he was talking about. The movie can't possibly be a rip-off if there was no material from BVS to be shown as they were doing it (unless they improvised days of takes on the fly). For all I care, they could've had the same idea but far different execution. And in some areas, they did. Again, do you consider Armageddon a rip-off of Deep Impact, given that they came out with maybe a few months of separation? It's a massive stretch. That's why it's stupid.

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I have no idea if the Superman fail is all on Snyder personally.   For all I know, it's WB/DC trying to make him into Batman because Batman is so popular.

Tbf that's also the impression that I've gotten from these movies - they are trying too hard to make him exactly the same type of guy as Batman: a moody nutcase who takes more satisfaction in punishing the guilty than rescuing the innocent. But the "not my Superman" thing is not really MY problem w/this interpretation of him, as, while it loses the point of Superman if you don't have the same message and spirit regardless of scenario, good stories can definitely be told anyway. Imo it would work better if he simply weren't inherently dislikeable as a person (at least in MOS), and if everybody around him didn't emote and talk w/the range and speech of an android.

But again, I don't need to fall into the rabbit hole of baiting anybody into flame wars or making people think that I'm one those rallying that Snyder destroyed Superman or anything. I feel like it is a concept that just needs to wash away, because we all get it and we've heard it a million times. Just let it go, cause soon enough, you won't have to see a Snyder-helmed DCEU anyway.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Hey...if that's what DC fans want, then that's what you will get.   Maybe Transformers fans don't mind that it's seen as a joke as long as they can point to box office.   That will certainly enable WB to keep doing the same thing.

Don't know what you mean. If the Transformers franchise had continued to be good and exciting for its audience, good for them. It eventually collapsed, but it was doing great for a while. What we want is that the DCEU continues to be good and exciting, it doesn't matter if critics or Mojoguy like the movies or not.

Just now, Napoleon said:

Why is it stupid? They ripped off the basic idea of BVS which was a hero against another. You may not call it a rip-off, call it what you want, but you know what Marvel did there. The directors admitted it.

I always wonder why any DC fan would want to claim that Marvel did the same thing so much better.   Wouldn't it be better to claim they were going for completely different things?

What I saw the Russo brothers say was that they wanted to do it before BvS and Feige finally agreed after the BvS announcement.   It's not like they just suddenly came up with the idea.   Not to mention that the idea comes from a 2006 comic. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Don't know what you mean. If the Transformers franchise had continued to be good and exciting for its audience, good for them. It eventually collapsed, but it was doing great for a while. What we want is that the DCEU continues to be good and exciting, it doesn't matter if critics or Mojoguy like the movies or not.

Sure.   That's why DC fans never complain about the opinions of critics.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They said the same thing about Wonder Woman.

And guess who was one of the first posters here to gleefully peddle the news about Wonder Woman allegedly being a mess?

Yep, our dear friend about whom everyone needs to talk.

Ask him again about his predictions for WW's box office. :rofl:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

"Cyborg" always felt like a tacked on character to me.   He's the Hawkeye of the JL.   Just leave him out and you'll have more time for the interesting characters.

See^^^?

People are already discussing yet another gloom-and-doom report about a DCEU film (from a Youtube vlogger no less) as if it had any credibility. :rofl:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

And guess who was one of the first posters here to gleefully peddle the news about Wonder Woman allegedly being a mess?

Yep, our dear friend about whom everyone needs to talk.

Ask him again about his predictions for WW's box office. :rofl:

Most early cuts are a mess, it was true with even the successful films.