Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Point is Disney has been out of the small budget edgy indie movie market for around a decade. Fox Searchlite specializes in that type of film.  See why some of us are concerned? The kind of film that  Searchlite does is not part of the Mouse's strategy.

Thank god! Disney doesn’t make garbage. What a sad world we would have if every movie was actually fun to watch and enjoyable instead of just crap like most indie movies. Gee, sounds bleak. Nah, I’ll live, thanks!

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Point is Disney has been out of the small budget edgy indie movie market for around a decade. Fox Searchlite specializes in that type of film.  See why some of us are concerned? The kind of film that  Searchlite does is not part of the Mouse's strategy.

Disney Studios haven’t made small movies for around a decade, that’s not part of Disney Studios strategy. Searchlight is a different company, under another company, that would report to the company above Disney Studios. A candy company can stop making chocolates, but the company that owns them can still buy, own, and operate a chocolate company.

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Thank god! Disney doesn’t make garbage. What a sad world we would have if every movie was actually fun to watch and enjoyable instead of just crap like most indie movies. Gee, sounds bleak. Nah, I’ll live, thanks!

Adult Disney fandom is getting a bit weird. what would it remove from you if Disney was making distributing 10 big movie and 25 small versus 10 big movie and nothing else ?

Why do you care about people liking those indie movies ? It is not like they are taking away large resource and blockbuster you love are not getting screens close to your house because of them ?

Can you name any even the smallest imaginable one downside an small Fox Searchlight movie can have on your life ?

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

man where were you on March 17, 2017

In the theater watching another well made movie in IMAX. I think we call it “the highest grossing movie of the year” before Last Jedi? Is that what you’re referencing?

Im sure Fox Searchlight has some perfectly charming pictures but Hollywood needs to get over the idea of lower budget movies being shitty indie garbage that most people hate. You can just make a legitimately good or great movie on a $3-30 million budget. It’s not that hard frankly, that’s a LOT of money. Just because you don’t spend $200M doesn’t mean you need to make an art house movie about a one armed Native American woman struggling with raising her autistic son in the South while experimenting with lesbianism and a journey into the occult. I mean you don’t need to throw up darts at a PC virtue signaling board to make a goddamn movie. It can just be a concept that’s broadly appealing but doesn’t need huge SFX and you can still make a movie that appeals to everyone. I don’t know when or why they forgot how to do this. Suddenly it’s like either you get Star Wars or some bullshit like The Danish Girl that nobody outside of the most liberal coastal progressive would ever even see.

PS: The downside is getting sent this crap in the mail every year like a box full of coal by the studios. Indie doesn’t have to mean “literally doesn’t appeal to anyone.” It can just mean smaller budget.

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

Just now, JonathanLB said:

In the theater watching another well made movie in IMAX. I think we call it “the highest grossing movie of the year” before Last Jedi? Is that what you’re referencing?

Im sure Fox Searchlight has some perfectly charming pictures but Hollywood needs to get over the idea of lower budget movies being shitty indie garbage that most people hate. You can just make a legitimately good or great movie on a $3-30 million budget. It’s not that hard frankly, that’s a LOT of money. Just because you don’t spend $200M doesn’t mean you need to make an art house movie about a one armed Native American woman struggling with raising her autistic son in the South while experimenting with lesbianism and a journey into the occult. I mean you don’t need to throw up darts at a PC virtue signaling board to make a goddamn movie. It can just be a concept that’s broadly appealing but doesn’t need huge SFX and you can still make a movie that appeals to everyone. I don’t know when or why they forgot how to do this. Suddenly it’s like either you get Star Wars or some bullshit like The Danish Girl that nobody outside of the most liberal coastal progressive would ever even see.

This is quite possibly the worst post on this site.  And that’s saying a lot.

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

There is a reason why you used those two movies as an example.   Because 2 years ago Fox had only made PG-13 movies like everyone else.   That includes TWO Wolverine movies.

It took a decade for Ryan Reynolds to talk them into it and even then he had to resort to leaking the Deadpool footage online to get the fans behind it to give Fox a push.

Then by an amazing coincidence they were suddenly interested in making an R rated Logan.    Let's just forget about those two PG-13 Wolverine movies.

A lot of people are trying to rewrite history and make Fox into this "brave" studio that was passionate about spitting out R rated X-men movies left and right.   That's not what really happened.

What they really are is the studio that utterly wasted great characters like Dr Doom, Storm, Silver Surfer, Cyclops, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Colossus and epic failed on great stories like Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse.    They are also the studio that has gotten the least amount of interest from public of the major 4 studios making CBMs....even though they had the rights to the freaking X-men.    Marvel did better with lower profile characters like Capt America, Iron Man, Thor, Dr Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Seems pretty simple to understand.    Disney likes money like everyone else.   You think they wouldn't notice this?

Deadpool ww groos-  $783,112,979  

Deadpool budget- 58 million  

Or LESS CBMs a year because Marvel isn't contractually obligated to release movies to keep their own characters like Fox and Sony are.   Marvel can make another Cap movie...or not.   Cap isn't going anywhere if they don't.

InMarvel having the rights to their own characters means they can act like WB and release movies only when they feel it fits their goals.   Narrative reasons over contract reasons.

Sounds like a MASSIVE improvement to me.   Might actually make the CBMs they do release more profitable due to a less saturated marketplace.

Yeah that would be glorious. No more shoddily put together movies rushed out just to keep the rights from Marvel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

PS: The downside is getting sent this crap in the mail every year like a box full of coal by the studios. Indie doesn’t have to mean “literally doesn’t appeal to anyone.” It can just mean smaller budget.

Really ? The free screener's taking too much space in your garbage is a big issue ?

Im sure Fox Searchlight has some perfectly charming pictures but Hollywood needs to get over the idea of lower budget movies being shitty indie garbage that most people hate

Are you being serious, Hollywood bought the independant movie type (like big Beer maker bought all the small indie Beer maker) because lot of people loved them.

Sony classic picture division commercial success rate was about the same as the main division:

Searchlight 2017 output

1 165 The Shape of Water FoxS $166,564 2 $166,564 2 12/1/17
2 54 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FoxS $13,537,057 1,430 $322,168 4 11/10/17
3 134 Goodbye Christopher Robin FoxS $1,707,191 262 $57,917 9 10/13/17
4 59 Battle of the Sexes FoxS $12,610,934 1,822 $518,332 21 9/22/17
5 147 Patti Cake$ FoxS $800,148 303 $67,599 14 8/18/17
6 143 Step (2017) FoxS $1,146,292 306 $146,488 29 8/4/17
7 113 My Cousin Rachel FoxS $2,716,368 531 $969,941 523 6/9/17
8 31 Gifted FoxS $24,801,212 2,215 $446,380 56 4/7/17
9 152 Wilson FoxS $653,951 311 $336,227 310 3/24/17
10 105 Table 19 FoxS $3,614,896 868 $1,597,928 868 3/3/17
11 102 A United Kingdom FoxS $3,902,185 317 $66,510 4 2/10/17

How many of those release fit your description there is actual comedy that people love in there like 3 Biillboards.

Gifted was a movie that most people that saw it hated ? You are really going for that ? Shape of Water, 3 billboard look like shit to you ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Who the fuck are you that you're getting a bunch of screeners for movies that you don't want to see?

BTW, these indie movies make money. Otherwise, they wouldn't be made. Sorry that not every movie can appeal to total yokels.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I think we can safely put this guy on our "Person whose opinions on film should not be taken seriously" list.

It not so much people being ignorant that bothers me as when people try to glorify their ignorance.

Edited by dudalb

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Really ? The free screener's taking too much space in your garbage is a big issue ?

Are you being serious, Hollywood bought the independant movie type (like big Beer maker bought all the small indie Beer maker) because lot of people loved them.

Sony classic picture division commercial success rate was about the same as the main division:

Searchlight 2017 output

1 165 The Shape of Water FoxS $166,564 2 $166,564 2 12/1/17
2 54 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FoxS $13,537,057 1,430 $322,168 4 11/10/17
3 134 Goodbye Christopher Robin FoxS $1,707,191 262 $57,917 9 10/13/17
4 59 Battle of the Sexes FoxS $12,610,934 1,822 $518,332 21 9/22/17
5 147 Patti Cake$ FoxS $800,148 303 $67,599 14 8/18/17
6 143 Step (2017) FoxS $1,146,292 306 $146,488 29 8/4/17
7 113 My Cousin Rachel FoxS $2,716,368 531 $969,941 523 6/9/17
8 31 Gifted FoxS $24,801,212 2,215 $446,380 56 4/7/17
9 152 Wilson FoxS $653,951 311 $336,227 310 3/24/17
10 105 Table 19 FoxS $3,614,896 868 $1,597,928 868 3/3/17
11 102 A United Kingdom FoxS $3,902,185 317 $66,510 4 2/10/17

How many of those release fit your description there is actual comedy that people love in there like 3 Biillboards.

Gifted was a movie that most people that saw it hated ? You are really going for that ? Shape of Water, 3 billboard look like shit to you ?

He has a got a point though, if CMBYN or Ladybird came on the TV, I'd probably find the documentry on electricity pylons more appealing.

That probably says more about me though.:whosad:

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Who the fuck are you that you're getting a bunch of screeners for movies that you don't want to see?

BTW, these indie movies make money. Otherwise, they wouldn't be made. Sorry that not every movie can appeal to total yokels.

Ignore him. It's what he does.

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think he stated somewhere that he works in the industry or something, gets a bunch of oscar contender screeners every year

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

That is what the legal anylsts have been saying about this deal from day one. It's being carefully written to avoid anti trust problems.

You have to prove probable restraint of trade to have a chance with an anti trust suit, and the would be  hard to prove if it just the studios and a couple of the cable channels changing hands.

• Like 2