Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

The erstwhile Lit major in me is :rofl: at

Stephen King lumped in with Meyers and Brown.

Tolkien writing in the trenches surrounded by the death, suffering and horror of WWI (followed by WWII and his son at war) didn't inform LOTR.  None of it was personal or emotional, just some dry intricate word building by a philologist.

FYI there is no physical manifestation of Sauron as a Giant Eye in the novels.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

So the fact that I love both LOTR and HP to death and I like both Brown and King makes me a weirdo? I don't get why there should be a comparison between Tolkien and Rowling. They have vastly different styles. And they both brought a massive contribution to culture and making people read for a change. I was one of those people. I would know. 

37 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Why do I feel like this LOTR/HP fanboy spat was all my fault for planting the LOTR conversation seeds :whosad:

I FEEL DEPRESSED AND I NEED SOMEONE TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER NOW :(

Think about it this way: Both the LOTR trilogy and the HP films are critically loved and incredibly succesfull. Both win.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, narniadis said:

Haha you know nothing about me but whatever. One can enjoy reading growing up on things like potter - we all need fast food every now and then. But considering that Literature was one of my fields of study I think I have a much better knowledge base than you my dear friend.

It's oddly endearing though - the only time I venture into this thread and comment I get called a classic Bitcher - I think all who know me (and have for years on this board) would recognize a terrible description for what it is.

Take care

No, you cannot tell me what to think and how to feel about literature because "one of your fields of study" was literature. Lmao, that's the typical arrogant, non-response. 

To me, Lord of the Rings is "fast food" (whatever that's supposed to mean) for all the reasons I listed, some of which are inarguable. The morality is simplistic, the story quite straightforward and unremarkable, the characters trope-y, and the subject matter and thematics unchallenging or nonexistent. 

That is MY opinion. Enough. 

If you're so determined to hate a series that you fully admit to not reading it and then back it up with "one of my fields of study was literature", that is the exact definition of bias. 

Lord of the Rings is loved for its arcane world building and medieval action scenes. Harry Potter is loved because it, as Rowling has noted multiple times, has helped people deal with death, among other things. 

Your cartoonized, lighthearted view of a thematically heavy series that came from Rowling's experiences with death and poverty and depression and single-motherhood don't make your statements any more credible, and I've backed up my love for a certain series with reasoning and quotes and subjective, personal statements. You've done nothing but arrogantly insult Harry Potter, and you've done nothing to defend Lord of the Rings. And I've, again, left clear reasons and subjective, personal statements as to why I don't care for it and think it falls short of the former series in many ways. There's a reason the Harry Potter series is the most read book series after the Bible and there are college courses dedicated to studying it. I'm not saying it's Shakespeare. It's mainstream fantasy entertainment, and it has flaws. But so is Lord of the strings. Which, to me, is a much shallower, less substantive story. 

In fact, Harry Potter wasn't even a part of the conversation until someone nastily insulted my liking it after I quite pleasantly left my opinion on Lord of the Rings. It just sort of goes to show how crazy this forum gets if you don't agree with what the general, simple-blockbuster-fare-loving BOT clientele think. 

You can't just act like a story a generation grew up on, that's informed a lot of their thoughts on life, (if we're to believe the "Harry Potter and empathy" articles that come out every year,) is "trash" or "fast food". That's incredibly condescending, ignorant, arrogant, and nasty of you. Irrespective of you "studying literature" at one point, as so many have. 

I've had many a college professor in the subject who are absolute Harry Potter fanatics, and whom love the books. Talking to my Film as Literature professor about the series actually got me into it again in a much deeper, more affecting way than before. 

Fantastic Beasts was a blockbuster film that literally included thematics pertaining to child abuse, religious fanaticism, grooming and manipulation, righteous anger, discrimination and bigotry, repression, capital punishment, even fascism and terrorism, with Rowling saying "it was partly informed by what I saw as a rise in populism"...so yea, I'm pretty sure Rowling wouldn't agree with you calling her work "fast food". 

Edited by Broadwayfreak66

Also, there is something I wanted to tell for quite a while.

We know that broadwayfreak is one of those members that can become very unbearable at times. But, those of you who try to provoke reactions with cheap attacks are acting equally immaturely and annoyingly.

What I saw was an unfavourable review on the Lord of the Rings. Isn't he/she allowed to it? I am not a fan of Lotr myself and I do believe that it is an overrated piece of work. The ones who brought Harry Potter in the conversation and caused the resulting chaos were you.

Is it really that hard to ignore him when we all know what his opinion is and there is no way it can change? 

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2017 at 10:39 PM, narniadis said:

Haha you know nothing about me but whatever. One can enjoy reading growing up on things like potter - we all need fast food every now and then. But considering that Literature was one of my fields of study I think I have a much better knowledge base than you my dear friend.

It's oddly endearing though - the only time I venture into this thread and comment I get called a classic Bitcher - I think all who know me (and have for years on this board) would recognize a terrible description for what it is.

Take care

I believe that the themes presented in the Harry Potter books are some of the most deep I have read in any teen literature and they just cannot compare in quality with other recent similar book series like Twilight,Hunger Games etc.

You have every right to call those books fast food, trash or garbage but I can assure you that they meant and still mean a lot to a whole generation of kids that grew with them and formed their whole personality based on the morals of those books.

Harry Potter fans unlike most fans of other fictional creations, have a deep connection with the characters in the books and the whole story. It has never been to us just a means of passing our free time. Harry Potter is our childhood. Our memories. Harry,Ron and Hermoine have alway been and they will continue to be my FRIENDS. I grew up with them, I learnt towards them, I became a better person together with them. And even to this date, I can never finish the Hedwig's theme without tears rolling down my eyes.

I still remember the night I finished the last book. I felt a big vaccum. I didn't know what to think or do. As much as I was happy for the ending and how all went well, I felt that something ended that could not be replaced. It was like a loss of someone beloved. It was a very difficult period at that time. I can assure you I was not alone and I have talked to numerous people who went through the whole adventure with me.

You are free to call HP whatever you want, but I know for once that it meant a lot more to the people who started out with it than you probably can imagine. And I do know too, that the world would have been a far better place If every person was taught from the lessons Rowling put out with those books.

You don't make art for sake the art. As good Tolkien's world building and linguistic talent may be, his work never touched me and never will. It is something admirable but there is no intimate connection with me and his creation. Like watching an impressive exhibit in a museum that cannot touch you in any emotional way.

You know that someone is a successful artist when he can reasonate with the people. For all the trash that Rowling gets from the "supposed" experts, she is responisble for the book awakening of the whole generation of the millenials and without her it is doubtable in what place the teen literature would have been right now. The world of literature owes her so so much.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1