Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

6 episodes into the Mandalorian and wow... is this seriously what people are hyped up about? A show with thinly written characters/story, a protagonist about as interesting as a plank of wood and boring filler for like half the season?

Is the bar for Star Wars this low?

People started praising it at the beginning and the show started great and promising, but after the 5th episode it was clear it was not going to be that good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think frankly it showed how much critics dont understand modern audiences.

The major Critique of Infinity War by critics was that it was not a standalone Film.

Well guess what, maybe 1 in a 100 people who watched Infinity War cared about that 

I thought the critique of Infinity War was that there was no character development and no story. It was 2.5 hours of CGI blobs fighting a big purple CGI blob. Its also why many people who seemed to hate Infinity War loved Endgame (like David Ehrlich).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I thought the critique of Infinity War was that there was no character development and no story. It was 2.5 hours of CGI blobs fighting a big purple CGI blob. Its also why many people who seemed to hate Infinity War loved Endgame (like David Ehrlich).

It was like 30 plus characters coming together who were built up over 20 films facing the true threat, I dont think we needed Character development as they been already fully developed.  

And how was there no story? 

Infinity War had likely the biggest cliffhanger to audiences in a while so much so that Endgame became the highest grossing Film ever globally XD, so clearly people found the story good. 

My point is I could care what Metacritic has to say about such films because I think they are not very accurate to gauge the quality of blockbuster films and Rotten Tomatoes is a better gauge due to having a bigger selection of critics. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It was like 30 plus characters coming together who were built up over 20 films facing the true threat, I dont think we needed Character development as they been already fully developed.  

And how was there no story? 

Infinity War had likely the biggest cliffhanger to audiences in a while so much so that Endgame became the highest grossing Film ever globally XD, so clearly people found the story good. 

My point is I could care what Metacritic has to say about such films because I think they are not very accurate to gauge the quality of blockbuster films and Rotten Tomatoes is a better gauge due to having a bigger selection of critics. 

Metacritic gives the average score of the film that the critics give, Rotten Tomatoes gives the main score by how many critics liked it or not.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Endgame seemed to do it fine though so it's not unreasonable to ask. The heroes in Infinity War don't even have proper motivations. And just because there is a cliffhanger doesn't mean a story exists. The movie has a lot of plot but no story (like TROS).

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Metacritic gives the average score of the film that the critics give, Rotten Tomatoes gives the main score by how many critics liked it or not.

That is true but the make up of the critics is different on the two sites.

Ultron had a 6.7 score on RT, and 7.63 for IW yet Metacritic is near the same.

Think RT just has more 'fan' critics who are likely more inline to gauge reaction to a fanbase driven film then established Critics. 

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Endgame seemed to do it fine though so it's not unreasonable to ask. The heroes in Infinity War don't even have proper motivations. And just because there is a cliffhanger doesn't mean a story exists. The movie has a lot of plot but no story (like TROS).

Endgame was helped by having half the characters being taken out and 3 hour run time helped and it was also an end to a journey to many characters. 

Lol i dont get a lack of story critique? 

If people cared about what happened in a movie, people liked the story...Simple as that...Sure Endgame being around is what made people care but that is how these films were set up. 

People did not care what really happened in TROS, so that critique falls flat. 

• Thanks 1

Infinity war got a very positive reception from Audience. 

Proof: Avengers Endgame box office. 

It doesn't matter what critics think in the long run. 

TLJ got so much high praise from critics, what happened after that we all know. 

Infinity war is one of the most loved Superhero movie by General Audience and that's what matters in the end. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What do you mean they don't have proper motivations? What the hell kinda motivations did you want them to have in order to fight a genocidal maniac who wants to kill half the universe? And IW definitely has a story, it's about Thanos reaching his lifelong goal and about how he turns the heroes' strengths into weaknesses in order to win.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

What do you mean they don't have proper motivations? What the hell kinda motivations did you want them to have in order to fight a genocidal maniac who wants to kill half the universe? And IW definitely has a story, it's about Thanos reaching his lifelong goal and about how he turns the heroes' strengths into weaknesses in order to win.

Yeah, sure the heroes have an obligation to save the world because its their job to it but there are no personal motivations or conflicts the same way they had personal motivations to go back in time to undo what the genocidal maniac did. Compare this to the Avengers where each character had their own motivation to fight the aliens and be a part of the Avengers initative.

Also what you wrote was plot, not a story. The movie misses a lot of the "why" elements needed for a fully fledged story and that goes back to my original problem, there is no personal motivation or conflict. Movie feels like a whole lot of things happen because the plot wants it to happen because of that. It's just like TROS (the only difference between both movies is the reception of their predecessors).  

Edited by lorddemaxus

54 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If people cared about what happened in a movie, people liked the story...Simple as that...Sure Endgame being around is what made people care but that is how these films were set up. 

People did not care what really happened in TROS, so that critique falls flat. 

People liked what happened because of what happened before the events of the movie. That's why Infinity War succeeded but TROS failed for most people. People can also like a movie for more reasons than story.

Doctor Strange duty is to save Earth from outer forces. ( His origin movie talks about that) 

Thor is killed as per Bruce, giving OG Avengers a motivation. 

Thanos wants Vision dead giving Scarlet Witch a strong motivation to fight. 

Avengers have already seen a alien invasion obviously they don't want another one. 

Iron Man is always afraid of Alien forces as shown in vision in AOU. 

Thor brother is killed. 

Gamora doesn't want Thanos to win. 

Thanos abducted Gamora, making GOTG a Important part of the revolt against Thanos. 

What more motivation do you want?How can they have personal agenda against Thanos when they never met him before. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

People liked what happened because of what happened before the events of the movie. That's why Infinity War succeeded but TROS failed for most people. People can also like a movie for more reasons than story.

Now you are making lots of assumptions. Many people who liked Avengers haven't even seen most of the MCU movies. 

Endgame box office increased because Infinity war increased MCU popularity. 

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Now you are making lots of assumptions. Many people who liked Avengers haven't even seen most of the MCU movies. 

Endgame box office increased because Infinity war increased MCU popularity. 

But you really think Infinity War and Endgame would have the same reception if we got just 5 crappy MCU films before instead of 20 crowd-pleasing ones? 

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

But you really think Infinity War and Endgame would have the same reception if we got just 5 crappy MCU films before instead of 20 crowd-pleasing ones? 

Yes, I agree that previous movies build good reputation but Infinity war was a welcoming movie to many OS which helped Endgame surge. 

Most important MCU movies :

1) Iron Man (2008), Jon Favreau

2) Avengers (2012), Joss Whedon

3) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), James Gunn

4) Avengers Infinity War ( 2018), Anthony & Joe Russo

The Magic 5.

Edited by The Futurist