Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On 12/31/2019 at 4:02 PM, WittyUsername said:

So, between the Star Wars ST or DC’s Snyderverse, which one would people say has proven to be the bigger mess at the end of the day? Keep in mind, this isn’t necessarily a question over which one was better. It’s more a question over which one had the least flattering end result, once you factor in things like development, the press releases, PR, damage control, etc. 

Definitely star wars. DC has already rebounded making critical and financial hits while Star Wars looks to be headed in the direction of Transformers.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Definitely star wars. DC has already rebounded making critical and financial hits while Star Wars looks to be headed in the direction of Transformers.

I would be surprised if Disney makes a Star Wars film as utterly bonkers as Transformers 3.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I would be surprised if Disney makes a Star Wars film as utterly bonkers as Transformers 3.

The Rian Johnson trilogy will be set entirely at Canto Bight

• Astonished 1

51 minutes ago, TMP said:

The Rian Johnson trilogy will be set entirely at Canto Bight

the main themes will be rescuing a bunch of goofy space animals and war profiteering via arms sales because boldness and subverting expectations automatically = gud

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Knock It Off 2

4 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Scorsese is smart guy. Trolling CBM movies and building hype for his own movie Irishman which ended up being huge for Netflix. He's winning.

Sure, Jan.

Sure.

• Knock It Off 1

Rian Johnson is a dangerous, toxic ideologue.

He must be stopped.

His cancerous philosophy must be confronted at every occasion.

Why everybody fakes to not understand why Kathy Kenedy allowed him to do The Last Jedi ?

Ask yourselves this question and contemplate the sad, twisted nihilism of the answers.

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

All this Martin Scorsese drama has made me realize that Alejandro González Iñárritu got off pretty easy for having made a movie that was basically just him expressing his contempt for the genre. Seriously, anyone remember when Birdman won Best Picture? What a different time that was.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Rian Johnson is a dangerous, toxic ideologue.

He must be stopped.

His cancerous philosophy must be confronted at every occasion.

Why everybody fakes to not understand why Kathy Kenedy allowed him to do The Last Jedi ?

Ask yourselves this question and contemplate the sad, twisted nihilism of the answers.

who is he targeting with his hazardous philosophy?

• Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Batman has been the most popular superhero for decades, but what do you mean by "pushing her"? Selling $500M+ of merch (if that's true) and producing a blockbuster sequel indicates that they are "pushing"/cashing in on Wonder Woman more than ever?

Pushing her in other media is what I mean. Like video games, cartoons etc. The demand is clearly there

As for the source, it's from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-05/wonder-woman-s-secret-power-bridging-the-boy-girl-toy-gap

9 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Just found out merch from the Wonder Woman movie had sells anywhere from 500m to a billion. Pretty crazy

You'd think WB would be pushing her as hard as Batman but nope

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Pushing her in other media is what I mean. Like video games, cartoons etc. The demand is clearly there

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-05/wonder-woman-s-secret-power-bridging-the-boy-girl-toy-gap

Hmm did you actually read the article? The link you posted is behind a paywall, so I doubt you read it which is why you posted that misleading first post. 

Firstly the article is written like 2 days after the OW of Wonder Woman. That alone should have given away the fact that the authors are talking about possible future sales or combined past sales. Not even SW at its peak could sell 500m worth of merchandise in a week lol. 

The 500m-1b figure is a guess by some editor for a website for what global sales for licensing could be. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

She's the main cast of that DC superhero girls show, but that isn't good at all.

14 hours ago, moms 4 opiuM 4 college said:

who is he targeting with his hazardous philosophy?

Contemporary America, which is supposedly predicated on a meritocratic capitalist system - but fails to ballast the supposed meritocracy of that very system by having any format to prevent a feudal society from developing since every generation that inherits privilege is subsequently immensely advantaged to win the "meritocratic" race thus resulting, over generations, in a system that isn't meritocratic at all but essentially just the aristocratic, feudal system that capitalism actually was designed to replace. With the nexus point of all this being the moment of inheritance and the question of what do you do with the money of a person who meritocratically earned a lifetime of wealth and luxury on their own merits - which few people have a problem with - but who doesn't have any family members worthy of the immense privilege they are about to receive despite having been inured to the lifestyle that it buys from birth.

Which is exactly what Knives Out, a movie approximately 25 times more complex than anything in any Star Wars movie Or the Joker, is addressing. Very well, I might add. With the perfect embodiment of the movie's central philosophy being stated in an exchange at the end of the movie (I won't spoil the movie, but it pertains to the "family mansion" and its origins)

Of course, some people would just consider this to be a discussion point, a thesis, or a piece of analysis being made by a movie maker rather than "hazardous philosophy" being as it is a critique of the society the filmmaker lives in which is traditionally considered one of the entire points of being an artist. But we live in weird times where if your put themes or perspectives into a movie, fauxbjectivists come along and decry you for making "hazardous" propaganda; and if you critique the specific contemporary version of ultra-deregulated capitalism that is currently our system of government ThaT MEanS Ur A COMmmuNiZt/&£*£$

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Thanks 1

Knives Out was just stOOpid and insulting, end of.

Rian Johnson is a joke.

But  Rian Johnson s flaw is the same as every leftist, he s

naive and childish.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Damn it Lord Feige, because of you I just had a 2 hour long argument with my friends about whether being trans is a mental disorder or not and whether it is right or wrong to have trans role models (I was the one who thought that being trans isn't a mental disorder and having trans role models is a good thing while my friends thought the opposite).

22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Knives Out was just stOOpid and insulting, end of.

Rian Johnson is a joke.

But  Rian Johnson s flaw is the same as every leftist, he s

naive and childish.

I don't know whether this is a parody or serious. I mean, I'd assume it was a parody.

But I suspect it's sort of trying to be both simultaneously, under the guise that is somehow enlightened and objective.

But just for the kicks, I'll bite: What is the issue you have with Rian Johnson's exploration of the dissonance between inheritance and meritocracy in Knives Out? Why is it specifically "insulting" rather than, perhaps, just something you disagree with? And regardless of the rest of the movie, how is the ending of any Star Wars movie more thematically appropriate to the previously-established Star Wars Universe than "Angry man completely overcome by rage and passion realises that he is just fighting himself and flailing around at nothing" 

EDIT: Oh, and just for a laugh I'll throw in "Exactly what boundary-pushing, outrage-inducing comedy was the guy responsible for toothless broad comedy like the Hangover movies trying to make that 'couldn't get made' in the same year that Chris Morris' The Day Shall Come came out?"

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

12 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

What is it even supposed to mean

There's the obvious mashup of the two characters' names.  Also the premise of the show is apparently based on Wanda creating a pocket reality where she and Vision live an idyllic American middle class life that mirrors classic television shows from the late 50's/early 60's.  Maybe she watches old re-runs as a means of escape, I dunno.