Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Star wars is having 40 years of Fanbase yet they failed to achieve what Avatar or Titanic did. I think we shoud compare movies with Titanic rather than Avatar. Because I don't think any SW, MCU, HP or any other movie is going to reach that peak ever or maybe in 2070 when exchange rate is 50$. as @JamesCameronScholar said. Only JC can beat JC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

I think we shoud compare movies with Titanic rather than Avatar. Because I don't think any SW, MCU, HP or any other movie is going to reach that peak ever or maybe in 2070 when exchange rate is 50$. as @JamesCameronScholar said. Only JC can beat JC. 

Not sure Avatar was bigger than Titanic and that JC achieve to top is own record, and that is without taking into account Titanic re-release giant success that I am not sure Avatar will ever have.

You can even see Titanic impact on the global industry statistic of is time:

Domestic-vs-international-box-office-ave

To give an idea, the top 10 ww in 1996, 1997, 1998 average without Titanic was: 372.96m

The top 5 of those 3 year's had a : 614.5m average

Independence Day Fox $817.40
  The Lost World: Jurassic Park Uni. $618.60
  Men in Black Sony $589.40
  Armageddon BV $553.70
  Twister WB $494.50

Titanic:

main-qimg-776659d92de03807723fb2f24a11bd

For Avatar, 2008, 2009, 2010 top 10 movies WW without it averaged: 700.65

Top 5 of that era: 998.04

Toy Story 3 BV $1,067.00
  Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $1,025.50
  The Dark Knight WB $1,003.00
  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $960.30
  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $934.40

Titanic first run was:

4.94 times bigger than the top 10 average.

3 times bigger than the top 5 movies of that time.

2.25 times is biggest competition

Stayed number 1 domestic for 11 year's

Avatar first run + the 2010 special edition was:

3.96 times bigger than is era top 10 average.

2.78 times bigger than the top 5 movies of that time

2.6 times is biggest competition

Stayed number 1 domestic for 6 year's

Pretty comparable runs, Titanic was clearly bigger domestic but Avatar was maybe bigger intl, really achieved to get better performance among the new market than Hollywood average movies.

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

Star wars is having 40 years of Fanbase yet they failed to achieve what Avatar or Titanic did.

Not sure yet is the good word here, the biggest movie always have been original one probably for a reason, having a fanbase also usually mean having a list of people that will not see it (have seen the previous one and didn't like them or not having seen them and that create lot of resistance), the floor is much higher for franchise movies but they probably have a lower ceiling.

The next movies to have a E.T. Titanic or Avatar type of run will probably be an first entry also. Arguably being a 40 year's old franchise is a reason SW will have an hard time ever doing what Titanic/Avatar did (stuff like setting a new record that will stay for year's in the China market).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Lothar said:

Star wars is having 40 years of Fanbase yet they failed to achieve what Avatar or Titanic did. I think we shoud compare movies with Titanic rather than Avatar. Because I don't think any SW, MCU, HP or any other movie is going to reach that peak ever or maybe in 2070 when exchange rate is 50$. as @JamesCameronScholar said. Only JC can beat JC. 

2070's pushing it don't you think? They're better off trying in the 22nd century. :hahaha:

4 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Having a re-release means there's interest. I don't see avatar getting there too. 

Jim's already hinted at a re-release with improved picture quality.

Anyone else think Han Solo looks like a bootleg?

NrHHqSB.jpg

Y'know, considering the guy has the #1 and #2 highest grossing films of all time, it still amazes me how utterly insecure the James Cameron fanboys are on this forums.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Y'know, considering the guy has the #1 and #2 highest grossing films of all time, it still amazes me how utterly insecure the James Cameron fanboys are on this forums.

It's the exact opposite, I have absolute confidence in Jim. Do you know what insecure even means?

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It's the exact opposite, I have absolute confidence in Jim. Do you know what insecure even means?

Call it amateur psychology, but I don't think a secure person feels the need to bring up James Cameron or his movies at every fucking opportunity.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Black Panther hype is crazy. It is bound to get a high opening weekend, legs are an entirely different matter of course.

I wish Wonder Woman had this much hype, piss poor marketing from WB for that movie. Only a $103m OW.

$103m is still an impressive OW for any film and it did $400m domestic so it wasn't an issue!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 3:47 PM, IronJimbo said:

cp5a8zx.png

List made by lame James Cameron loonies. Not that it changes anything but C'mon, you cant even play fair when you're already in first place, Are you the Patriots?

You use the re release numbers for Titanic yet don't include them for films like Jurassic Park or Star Wars? 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

The Black Panther hype is crazy. It is bound to get a high opening weekend, legs are an entirely different matter of course.

I wish Wonder Woman had this much hype, piss poor marketing from WB for that movie. Only a $103m OW.

Marketing was no where near piss poor. The OW had the NBA Finals working against it, the stigma solo female CBMs being awful & coming off of two DCEU critical failures. 103M was a great number in that situation and it's run made up for it

Edited by BeastByTheBay