Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

5 hours ago, TMP said:

DC losing Jenkins, arguably their best director, to Marvel would be a major L for them. Especially since Birds of Prey looks like a stinker, and Joker could suck too because of Phillips (great trailer though).

We’ve seen no footage of birds of prey and it looks like it’s a stinker? You make some fascinating posts sometimes on here. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

We’ve seen no footage of birds of prey and it looks like it’s a stinker? You make some fascinating posts sometimes on here. 

I don’t know, it looks like Suicide Squad all over again based on the tone they set with that costume tease. Joker looked like something really different from the short makeup test alone, and the trailer was great, but it could still go sideways (not expecting it, but it’s possible since Phillips is hit/miss). BoP is just giving me Suicide Squad flashbacks.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

giphy.gif

I’m sure you just put this here as a joke and to troll a bit. But, 

No doubt Shazam didn’t do as well as it could have, it was never going to go up much internationally but I think with a different release date it probably would of made close to Ant man 1 domestically and probably 425-450m WW total. 

Whats funny is, before people would talk non stop about DC films and how making money didn’t matter cause the quality wasn’t there, and now look where we are? Funny how now reviews don’t matter for Shazam but a weaker box office does. 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don’t know, it looks like Suicide Squad all over again based on the tone they set with that costume tease. Joker looked like something really different from the short makeup test alone, and the trailer was great, but it could still go sideways (not expecting it, but it’s possible since Phillips is hit/miss). BoP is just giving me Suicide Squad flashbacks.

I don’t get SS vibes at all, but to each their own. I just don’t think we can judge a movie based on set pictures. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TMP said:

I would argue that as a positive for this film due to the fact that this movie was devised with that kind of tone in mind from the get go. The tone they set with the costume tease, to me, seems like the tone that WB was desperately trying to turn Suicide Squad into but it was too little, too late by then. Suicide Squad was a film that was clearly intended to be a dour, gritty action drama in the vein of David Ayer's own End Of Watch, and when WB released the trailer that had Bohemian Rhapsody playing in the background - which was definitely inspired by Guardians Of The Galaxy - and it was really well received, + the horrendous reception to BVS and too many people complaning about how dark that film was, they raced towards turning it into a more GOTG-like fun movie, to no good effect. While on the other hand, Birds Of Prey is already starting off as a fun movie right out of the gate. The director has a vision that will likely be untouched by the studio. And, to be perfectly honest, it simply cannot be much worse than SS, which is one of the all-time biggest stinkers in the superhero genre. (For what's worth, I'm actually considering doing a ranking of every superhero movie this decade, although I still have to wait for the others this year - Far From Home, Dark Phoenix, Joker and I guess New Mutants - to come out, but I would be shocked if SS doesn't end up in the top 5 worst. It's better than Fant4stic, it's probably better than that Russian movie called Guardians or something, and that's about it as far as what I can remember. I'd even take the Michael Bay TMNT movies over it.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I would argue that as a positive for this film due to the fact that this movie was devised with that kind of tone in mind from the get go. The tone they set with the costume tease, to me, seems like the tone that WB was desperately trying to turn Suicide Squad into but it was too little, too late by then. Suicide Squad was a film that was clearly intended to be a dour, gritty action drama in the vein of David Ayer's own End Of Watch, and when WB released the trailer that had Bohemian Rhapsody playing in the background - which was definitely inspired by Guardians Of The Galaxy - and it was really well received, + the horrendous reception to BVS and too many people complaning about how dark that film was, they raced towards turning it into a more GOTG-like fun movie, to no good effect. While on the other hand, Birds Of Prey is already starting off as a fun movie right out of the gate. The director has a vision that will likely be untouched by the studio. And, to be perfectly honest, it simply cannot be much worse than SS, which is one of the all-time biggest stinkers in the superhero genre. (For what's worth, I'm actually considering doing a ranking of every superhero movie this decade, although I still have to wait for the others this year - Far From Home, Dark Phoenix, Joker and I guess New Mutants - to come out, but I would be shocked if SS doesn't end up in the top 5 worst. It's better than Fant4stic, it's probably better than that Russian movie called Guardians or something, and that's about it as far as what I can remember. I'd even take the Michael Bay TMNT movies over it.)

FWIW, I ranked every superhero film I ever saw recently:

59539892_395599624618059_828029647534738

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Christina Hodson is a terrible writer. I'm expecting the worst after Bumblebee.

• Haha 2

I work in retail.  Today was my 7th straight day.  Mind and body are dead.  Feet are killing me.  But I love my job.

Saw a man wearing a Batman shirt today.  Asked if he’s seen Endgame yet.  He said he doesn’t care about Marvel.  I knew DC fans only were out there.  First time I have talked to one.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I don't think they should be looking at it as a losing thing. They brought James Gunn to do Suicide Squad while Disney also rehired him for GOTG Vol. 3 - plus, we've seen some actors present in both sides at the same time, like Laurence Fishburne. I think the two sides, at this point, understand that they both need to do well for the whole of the superhero genre to continue to last for years on end (let's face it: if they all started to suck, the world would get bored of them and they would go the western way), and with Gunn proving that it's not at all impossible for someone to work in both Marvel and DC at pretty much the same time, I think the two studios can sort of co-exist and let directors jump ship from one end to another. Plus, I think the two sides are starting to split apart in terms of vision, as Disney is still sticking with the cinematic universe model while WB is going for a more standalone approach, so I don't think that they're gonna be as much direct rivals anymore. Marvel hiring Jenkins wouldn't mean she would stop working for DC, just how Gunn being hired by DC didn't prevent him from returning to Marvel.

Considering that Jenkins left Thor: The Dark World due to creative differences, I doubt she'd want to direct another Marvel film. Also after she wouldn't be cheap after the success of Wonder Woman. 

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

I’m sure you just put this here as a joke and to troll a bit. But, 

No doubt Shazam didn’t do as well as it could have, it was never going to go up much internationally but I think with a different release date it probably would of made close to Ant man 1 domestically and probably 425-450m WW total. 

Whats funny is, before people would talk non stop about DC films and how making money didn’t matter cause the quality wasn’t there, and now look where we are? Funny how now reviews don’t matter for Shazam but a weaker box office does. 

There is growth potential for Shazam, I imagine we'll see it with Black Adam and the Shazam sequel. 

• Like 1