Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I don’t know about y’all but I rewatched Avatar the other week and it’s just as great as I remember it being.

Thanks to increasingly lazy visual effects in modern blockbusters, it's barely aged a day.

• Like 5

Can the GA remember the name of Leonardo's character in Inception?

Sandra's character in Gravity?

Matthew's character in Interstellar?

Now that I think about it the only other original movie without any pre-exisiting fanbase or property in the top 25 highest grossing WW list right now

is Frozen

Elsa is probably the only "new" character this decade that the GA went crazy for and she's still loosely based off of The Snow Queen, sort of a B-list fairytale from a hundred years ago

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Royce said:

Now that I think about it the only other original movie without any pre-exisiting fanbase or property in the top 25 highest grossing WW list right now

I really agree with that.

Outside very easy (like Jurassic Park/Titanic) or memorable by how they sound name, in the title name or often called by their name by other character during the movie it is indeed very common to not remember name and a very flawed metric. How much material you consume that will refer of them by name (like do people buy doll of the character or not)

Hanks name in Saving Private Ryan ? Do people often refer to Ghostbuster character by their name and not the actor ?

Without Avatar, there's no Thanos as we know it. You know why?

Do you see the little cam rig attached in front of Brolin's mug?

image.jpg

That little face cam custom rigged to the actor's head was actually imagined and designed by James Cameron, being created specifically for Avatar's perfcap characters for more accurate facial performance data than anything before.

376-7.jpg

Cameron came up with that face cam head rig back in 1995 when he wrote Avatar treatment. Of course, nobody in the Hollywood movie industry believed about its viability back then. Even ILM:

It's running through a software chain called FACETS and was specifically developed by WETA for Avatar under Cameron's demands treating that face cam data.

FACETS was developed primarily to serve the needs of Avatar at Weta Digital, and it represented a major rewrite to the approach used for King Kong. The FACETS system is very much aimed at facial performance not generalised motion capture. Avatar was the first time Weta used a head mounted camera rig for facial motion capture. Previously for say Weta's facial work on King Kong, actor Andy Serkis had been filmed with a camera not attached to his body.  

Now everybody in Hollywood ran with Cameron's innovation after Avatar proved its resulting quality and uses that head rig on perfcap characters in their VFX pipeline. Otherwise, Thanos would be that cosplaying extra painted purple in a rubber suit from the Avengers post-credits.

f0ervnn7hn101.jpg

Even when Marvel fanboys think Cameron loses, Cameron the movie industry trailblazer wins.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

A new day is coming folks, the sun is arising.  In 1-2 weeks Abadah will be Thanos snapped.   The best part is that EG is gonna do it without the historically shitty dollar ER/+ short lived 3D zeitgeist that Abadah had, making it resounding.  No more lame fallback position of "but muh ovahsees" by the Cameron Cultists(we'll call them CCs for short) after Abadah got stomped domestically 4 years ago.  Its perfect.001.gif

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

A new day is coming folks, the sun is arising.  In 1-2 weeks Abadah will be Thanos snapped.   The best part is that EG is gonna do it without the historically shitty dollar ER/+ short lived 3D zeitgeist that Abadah had, making it resounding.  No more lame fallback position of "but muh ovahsees" by the Cameron Cultists(we'll call them CCs for short) after Abadah got stomped domestically 4 years ago.  Its perfect.001.gif

Either way, Disney won in all three scenarios. 

4 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I hope you're trolling otherwise I feel kind of bad for you.

Fall of Hometree

Jake's birthday

Ney'tiri's betrayal

The introduction of the pure spirits

"We are mated for life." => "What the hell are you doing, Jake?"

Tsu'tey's unexpected sacrifice

Jake running

James Horner's score

The best SFX ever put on screen while also being wildly ambitious

The coherence of the wild action in the third act

Ney'tiri slowly realizing the Navi are losing the final battle

9 Oscar nominations including Best Picture, 3 Oscar wins

And never forget:

23t2ykp.jpg

The stuff in bold I agree with (yes... James Horner in general deserves respect for all of eternity, but Avatar is far from his best work). Everything else I have absolutely no recollection of

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

As far as Avatar is concerned, I don’t know if this sounds silly or what, but back in 2010/2011, I remembered thinking that the Avatar franchise had a shot at being this generation’s Star Wars. After all, both A New Hope and Avatar were movies that brought these new alien worlds and creatures to life with groundbreaking effects, and both were the highest grossing movies of their respective times. Plus, while Avatar didn’t exactly have the most original story or characters, the same could honestly be said for ANH

Of course, at this point, it’s probably safe to say that the MCU is the new Star Wars,     while Star Wars is trying to be the new MCU, and there’s no telling how Avatar will fare as a franchise. 

And they’re all owned by Disney. 

Also shame on you guys. While the internet bickers over whose franchise is better, there's a really great original movie getting massacred in theatres right now (Long Shot) that totally deserves us to take a break from our franchises for a few hours and give it the time and admission price it deserves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also shame on you guys. While the internet bickers over whose franchise is better, there's a really great original movie getting massacred in theatres right now (Long Shot) that totally deserves us to take a break from our franchises for a few hours and give it the time and admission price it deserves.

I have been wanting to see Long Shot as I love Rogen’s comedies and Theron. Probably will catch it next Tuesday when I have the time.

• Like 1

God i can't wait for Sonic to kill cinema so we can never have these dumb debates again

also Avatar is fine

it's probably Cameron's weakest not Pirhana 2 movie, and definitely loses a bit of magic when watched at home, but it's still a solid movie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Its this kind of pathetic Gamespot/Reddit style shit posting that stopped me posting here for over a year. I mean seriously, just read back your post, then look in the mirror and ask yourself 'How old am i?'

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

As far as Avatar is concerned, I don’t know if this sounds silly or what, but back in 2010/2011, I remembered thinking that the Avatar franchise had a shot at being this generation’s Star Wars. After all, both A New Hope and Avatar were movies that brought these new alien worlds and creatures to life with groundbreaking effects, and both were the highest grossing movies of their respective times. Plus, while Avatar didn’t exactly have the most original story or characters, the same could honestly be said for ANH

Of course, at this point, it’s probably safe to say that the MCU is the new Star Wars,     while Star Wars is trying to be the new MCU, and there’s no telling how Avatar will fare as a franchise. 

It's not this generation's Star Wars because that time has came and went, 2009 is not 1977 and 2020 even less so. However, if Avatar 2-5 are genuinely good, which I believe they will be. Avatar could be a "legacy" and personal franchise in the same sense as LOTR and The Godfather, but bigger in box office,  there's nothing wrong with that.

MCU being this generation's Star Wars is a little depression inducing for me though, because aside from the cinematic universe aspect, there's nothing "this generation" about it, the material goes back all the way to the 1950s, and Spider-Man films were already massively popular in the early 2000s, same with X-men films. MCU's massive success is not reflective any cultural creation of the now, but a reflection of our current nostalgia obsessed era and our inability to embrace new material.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, That One Guy said:

it's almost as if Avatar is one movie and Star Wars is 10 movies and the two can't be compared.

Not to mention Star Wars cultural penetration is severely limited to the western developed world, it's not like people in China or India know or care about who Princess Leia or Darth Vader is...

In fact, in that aspect, Jack and Rose from Titanic probably have far more spread cultural penetration, and that is 1 film vs 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It's not this generation's Star Wars because that time has came and went, 2009 is not 1977 and 2020 even less so. However, if Avatar 2-5 are genuinely good, which I believe they will be. Avatar could be a "legacy" and personal franchise in the same sense as LOTR and The Godfather, but bigger in box office,  there's nothing wrong with that.

MCU being this generation's Star Wars is a little depression inducing for me though, because aside from the cinematic universe aspect, there's nothing "this generation" about it, the material goes back all the way to the 1950s, and Spider-Man films were already massively popularly in the early 2000s. MCU's massive success is not reflective any cultural creation of the now, but a reflection of our nostalgia obsessed culture and our current inability to embrace new material.

But it deals with current themes and events. Like spying on own citizens, opening to the world of Wakanda, empowering minorities...

edit: Wakanda is not real of course, but several countries opened during last decades, namely China

Edited by JimiQ

8 hours ago, Royce said:

is Frozen

Elsa is probably the only "new" character this decade that the GA went crazy for and she's still loosely based off of The Snow Queen, sort of a B-list fairytale from a hundred years ago

Thank you! Very good point! There's literally not a single original film released in this decade (maybe even this century), that people remember the name of any main character, unless it is right there in the name (Alita: Battle Angel), even the most popular films, yet this is only pointed out as a problem for Avatar. Inception, Interstellar and Gravity are quite successful and are perfect examples of this, and I'm the biggest fan of all three (I'd even say I prefer Gravity and Inception over Avatar from a film stand point, of course I admire Avatar's achievement more). But Let's not pretend that they are some massive cultural phenomenon that everybody remember those richly written characters...

With the frozen example, it helps that it's a character study film more so than visual spectacle, it helps that the "Disney princess" line is a massive existing franchise in itself, it helps that Elsa is a much easier name to remember than Neytiri, and and it helps that Disney has massive merchandise machine keeps churning out toys and dresses which remind kids who Elsa is.

The time for an original film to completely penetrate pop culture with its new characters may have gone forever.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

But it deals with current themes and events. Like spying on own citizens, opening to the world of Wakanda, empowering minorities...

edit: Wakanda is not real of course, but several countries opened during last decades, namely China

That's true, I don't disagree with that.

But I think it's telling that these themes has to be sold and packaged with old settings and characters, you can argue that Star Wars sequel trilogy, in many ways, does the same thing. it's almost the social responsibility of the biggest franchise to carry those themes.

Edited by NCsoft

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

*yawn* You tried.

• Haha 3