grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

45 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

So this will make about half as much as Ocean's Eleven. Not sure they will continue this franchise given the lukewarm reception and box office.

It'll all depend on whether the cast wants to do it. Most of these actresses have enough clout that the studio won't pressure them into doing anything they aren't very motivated about doing.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The $70m budget is fine already.  It really depends on the back end deals.  How profitable for the studio after them?  Or if they were profitable enough for the talent to return. 

Can be hard to keep it at that level, sequel of a successful movie like that price can go up. And they would want to up the stake for a sequel (either returning cast from the O8-011, casting a name villain or up the setting to something bigger than a Gala)

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It'll all depend on whether the cast wants to do it. Most of these actresses have enough clout that the studio won't pressure them into doing anything they aren't very motivated about doing.

A bit like the Salt 2 movie they wrote never happened and was converted into a tv series project without Jolie, sequel of movie starring Bullock are certainly not certain to happen (Heat 2 never did).

I think that on that aspect, do they come up with a worthy high concept that could interest them is important here, what a developer writer come up (or what spec script they can shit into an Ocean sequel they have or see they can buy) could determine what they do.

Edited by Barnack

I imagine WB will greenlit a sequel but I think they’ll change the director, cast another bankable name for the ninth member or the villain and add in a few more cameos from the original trilogy, maybe have Julia Roberts back as Tess Ocean?

I think they should date it for December 2021 rather than slug it out in summer 

• Like 1

I feel that this is one of those films, like Ghostbusters 2016, for which making a sequel would simply be too much of a hassle (and not enough of a financial incentive)...

I know that this is a relatively cheap film, but the salaries combined must be a pretty penny...

23 hours ago, Barnack said:

Can be hard to keep it at that level, sequel of a successful movie like that price can go up. And they would want to up the stake for a sequel (either returning cast from the O8-011, casting a name villain or up the setting to something bigger than a Gala)

I think that on that aspect, do they come up with a worthy high concept that could interest them is important here, what a developer writer come up (or what spec script they can shit into an Ocean sequel they have or see they can buy) could determine what they do.

I think both a name for the villain and a grander setting would be great. I'd like to see a female villain for the sequel, maybe Nicole Kidman for a Practical Magic reunion with Bullock or Meryl Streep. I'd think a heist/con set in Hollywood would be interesting or maybe the Art world.

Edited by Jonwo

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m assuming they’re planning Nine and Ten.

Mindy posted #Sequel on instagram when she seen it crossed $100m. 

Of course the smaller stars like Kaling, Awkwafina, and Paulson are gonna be full throttle on board for a sequel. A franchise like this creates huge new awareness and visibility for them. But it will depend on what the bigger names want and how much they want for a sequel. Here's hoping they're willing to axe Rihanna if she wants too much, she added nothing here. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Awkwafina has Crazy Rich Asians which should give her something to do, and all reports so far point at a big hit in making. So 2 more sequels for her. 

I don't think that Riri is a problem as is that she wasn't given much to do, something that always happens with casts too big for their good. But if they want real sass and better use is, why not bring Naomi (was great on Empire) or Tyra? Teenagers aren't target group for this franchise anyway. 

It's doing decent business and is not a loss for the studio. 

Once the film has run it's course and the accountants have crunched all the revenue streams by years end we should know the fate of an Oceans 9.

If no real movement is made in the first half of 2019 towards a sequel I feel the odds of one ever happening go to >10%

If they think the iron is warm they strike now while this is still fresher on peoples mind. Waiting a few years will not build anticipation, it'll create indifference. 

Edited by Captain Craig