grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

start 5.7/10 imdb, should go up

Probably what a ridiculous distribution, 24% 10/10 make no sense, so does the 24% 1/10..............

Bit surprising, that look so much to be the kind of movie everyone agree between a 4 to 7.5 on 10 type of movie. Look really artificial score at the moment.

Yeesh my man Ignatiy V. gave this a C review on The AV Club and then this really makes the case for why Gary Ross as both writer and director shouldn't have been allowed within 100 miles of the thing. My enthusiasm took a hit for sure. 

• Sad 1

I enjoyed this overall but man, the first half is a real slog to get through. Once the actual MET gala heist starts, it's really a fun movie but getting there is just not as interesting as it was in Ocean's 11. I feel like the fast paced editing made the character intros in 11 really fun while this was just.. meh. Also it fell into very predictable territory at times like anyone who can count would know what's coming lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeesh my man Ignatiy V. gave this a C review on The AV Club and then this really makes the case for why Gary Ross as both writer and director shouldn't have been allowed within 100 miles of the thing. My enthusiasm took a hit for sure. 

Outside of the eight, there isn’t much going on, and I could’ve done without James Corden playing a more boring version of Hilary Swank’s Logan Luckycharacter.

🤔

On 6/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, Jake Gittes said:

I forgot Ross did Pleasantville.  What happened?

This movie wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. I think it’s saving grace is just how well polished it is. The heist stuff just isn’t thrilling, it’s so straightforward and every problem encountered is easily sidestepped. It’s quite disappointing. The target of the heist mixed with just how easy the whole plan was also makes the film feel like a small-scale one-and-done special release. Shame really.

no idea what the record is for amount of theaters occupied by 3 films.  Jurassic World is estimated for 4,400+.  The previous weekend had The Incredibles 2 in 4,410, and Oceans 8 in 4,145.  5% losses with Oceans 8 for week 3 would give 3,937 locations, but I don't know what to back that against.  Going with (4,410)(2) + (.9)(4,145) = 12,757 is possible for 3 films because 5 movie weekends have that.  

36 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

So this will make about half as much as Ocean's Eleven. Not sure they will continue this franchise given the lukewarm reception and box office.

With some control over the budget I think they can eek out an Oceans 9.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

With some control over the budget I think they can eek out an Oceans 9.

The $70m budget is fine already.  It really depends on the back end deals.  How profitable for the studio after them?  Or if they were profitable enough for the talent to return.