WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't get the  comparison.

BDII was the highest grossing film in the series WW and it came within 8 million of Eclipse.  THG peaked two films ago.  

Was not talking about worldwide numbers.

12 minutes ago, cookie said:

Why would they? BD2 landed exactly were everyone expected it would and remained consistent with the previous three films.

I would call MJ2's number disappointing if OW falls short of MJ1, because finale factor and IMAX should have remedied that.

Sure about that?

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

With MJ1 multi it would have to do sub-$110m to miss $300m.

Yeah that's what I thought. Should probably wait after we get some #'s for today and this weekend before making a judgment if it's likely or not. The legs will be interesting on this one. I think it'll have a worse multi than MJ1.

Pretty meh.  Wonder if a 1.5-2 year gap between CF-MJ1-MJ2 each would have helped with retention.  3 films in 3 years is bit much, staggering releases like Potter might have been better.

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

That is slightly underwhelming, though it's still a number most films would kill for.

Box office numbers are always relative, so it s objectively a good number but disappointing when compared to the insane hype the first two movies had in America.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Was not talking about worldwide numbers.

You don't have to.  The Twilight series was incredibly consistent and BD2 made pretty much what everyone thought it would.

24 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Sure about that?

Pretty sure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

You don't have to.  The Twilight series was incredibly consistent and BD2 made pretty much what everyone thought it would.

Pretty sure.

No. Some predicted 330 M. Also, I was not comparing the whole series, I was comparing the final two movies. So BD II is not disappointing and MOCKINGJAY II is?

It is somewhat amazing how MJ1 managed to reduce the series' box office potential so much. The split will work out better for Lionsgate but it would have definitely been interesting to see what a single Mockingjay movie would have done following the great reception of CF and a big promotional push as "The finale".

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Yeah that's what I thought. Should probably wait after we get some #'s for today and this weekend before making a judgment if it's likely or not. The legs will be interesting on this one. I think it'll have a worse multi than MJ1.

I can't imagine it would get MJ1's multi with Star Wars coming out in 4 weeks. MJ1 had great legs for months, whereas Star Wars will crush this. Not to mention Creed is getting excellent reviews and also the Good Dinosaur could potentially take from its audience.