WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

6TH UPDATE, Sunday 12:17AM: Katniss fell on Saturday, but that’s typical of her after a big Friday, which is always the highest grossing day for any Hunger Games movie. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2 is down -25% from Friday, which is the same decline posted by the previous titles in the franchise between its two first days. After a The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 - 2015$46.2M opening day, MJ2 is looking at a $35M Saturday putting its opening between $102M-$103.3M.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-2-weekend-box-office-the-night-before-the-secret-in-their-eyes-1201631411/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It's interesting to note that the Hunger Games movie franchise numbers completely follow what the readers think of the books.

The first book is beloved, it hooked people into the whole thing.

The Second book is adored, fans favorite book by far.

Mockingjay is a dividing book to say the least, loved by some, hated by others. You have to understand that what happens in the first act of MJ, the book.film, is SO anti climatic that it made people to not root for Katniss as she become mopey & depressed until she become this Kind of Joan of Arc figure people expected but then the author killed Katniss' spirit even more by other events so the book/movie is grim & dark & not uplifting in ANY way.

Dividing the least favorite book into two parts was asking for trouble and it showed.

Maybe they should have changed more things from the book but the success of the first film prevented them from doing that.

The last Potter/Twilight books gave what the fans wanted and were up lifting.

Yeah, well every single HP Book was loved. And I thought people hated the last Twilight book? 

As for "WWW" this is the exchange I had on KJ:

3 films in 2 years, 4 films in 44 months (not adequate enough time for hype/anticipation to build), mediocre reception (audience/critical) towards the final two films which were based on divisive source material.  And the split on top of that.

You can apply all that to Twilight and that didn't have dramatic decreases.

Twilight never broke out much past its fanbase, which allowed it to stay more consistent.  

THG's built-in base seems to be of similar size ITO $ gross, 250-300M.  The factors I listed above drove away the 100-125M that were being pulled from outside that base in the first two films.

Edited by spizzer

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Sorry, but I've heard way too much fanboy talk around these parts calling this franchise a cinematic landmark or the "phenomena of a generation" and that the first 2 movies should've been nominated for an ass load of Oscars... and I just rolled my eyes and stayed quiet.  But now that its gonna finish with a whimper, I get to gloat for a few days.

I hear you but I think die-hards of other franchises would say similar things. Avengers and TDK should have gotten best picture, baumer claiming Transformers is the best film of the 21st century etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I hear you but I think die-hards of other franchises would say similar things. Avengers and TDK should have gotten best picture, baumer claiming Transformers is the best film of the 21st century etc.

Yes but Baumer was joking :P Right? :ph34r:

Easy to say in hindsight, but it does feel like SW hype stole all of MJ2's oxygen. Being sandwiched between that and Spectre probably didn't help on the worldwide front, either.

One thing that annoyed me is how rigidly uniform all the posters were too. You should have mixed up the color schemes, Lionsgate.

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Twilight fan base was still enormous & quite scary at the same time since it was 98% Female.

I agree with you.  I saw three Twilights on opening night and I was one of maybe ten guys in the theater.  

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Sorry, but I've heard way too much fanboy talk around these parts calling this franchise a cinematic landmark or the "phenomena of a generation" and that the first 2 movies should've been nominated for an ass load of Oscars... and I just rolled my eyes and stayed quiet.  But now that its gonna finish with a whimper, I get to gloat for a few days.

:ohmygod: 

• Like 6