kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE | 445.1 M overseas ● 677.7 M worldwide

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Well, the mouse bought many of the successes they are having. If I am not wrong, they spent 15 billion buying Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm. They are not specially creative. They bought the material and now they are exploiting it. Of course, good for them for making so good business, but it is starting to be a monopoly.

It used to be that many studios shared the box office pie. Then it turned into a six-studio oligopoly (with Lionsgate-Summit Entertainment making a short-lived effort to join), but now it is clear that Sony and Paramount have lost the game. Yeah, no Bond or Transformers can save them. Out of the four that survived, Fox, WB and Uni all have enough franchises to live through the next few years, but they are just that: franchises. Disney is the only one that is selling its brands, and selling them successfully, instead of individual franchises. That's why it's doing so well I think. And I know, it's evil, even diabolical, but it is nevertheless a reality we need to face.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

It used to be that many studios shared the box office pie. Then it turned into a six-studio oligopoly (with Lionsgate-Summit Entertainment making a short-lived effort to join), but now it is clear that Sony and Paramount have lost the game. Yeah, no Bond or Transformers can save them. Out of the four that survived, Fox, WB and Uni all have enough franchises to live through the next few years, but they are just that: franchises. Disney is the only one that is selling its brands, and selling them successfully, instead of individual franchises. That's why it's doing so well I think. And I know, it's evil, even diabolical, but it is nevertheless a reality we need to face.

Also notable that Disney isn't owned by a telecom/media conglomerate (Time Warner/AT&T, Comcast, Viacom which own the studios as subsidiaries), but is still a self-sustaining brand that all these other studios used to be. That shows a significant amount of branding power to survive that long without being bought out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moviesRus said:

I think some countries had holidays this week. I'm not sure though.

All Saint's Day is in German states with a high Catholic population percentage a public holiday and a so called silent day (no dancing, e.g. late Halloween parties,... allowed as well).

I think it's a public holiday for the whole country in Austria, France, Italy, Poland, and Spain as well.

In Switzerland it should be a holiday only in some/many? of their cantons.

I am guessing the same counts also for countries typically counted as a mostly / big part Catholic population like in South American countries?

In 2 states (out of 16) here in Germany we have this week also school holiday. These 2 states are on place 2 and 3 of the list for highest population per state, means something over 25% of Germany has a one week school holiday (Autumn holiday).

Beside still having no time I also watched it (sadly only in German) and liked it. I visited a 19:50 show, so younger viewers should not be in attendance in high numbers (as in e.g. 8y old)

I do see, why some ppl might criticise certain details, but I think it's a very enjoyable introduction movie for the MCU. I do not understand certain rotten reviews at RT, in especial Rex Reed. My impression in the cinemas was that no one there had a problem to understand the movie, no matter the age.

The details I mean are IMHO not impacting strongly enough to change the movie to rotten. For me they were not hindering my enjoyment at all.

I do hope for some additional moments here and there,

Spoiler

in especial to show a bit more about how much time was passed between certain phases. Someone wrote a year had passed, that was IMHO not clearly shown.

What I found interesting was:

A very high percentage of older viewers, as in over 40 years old, even probably over 60y old. As in maybe the half. Nearly all stayed for both credit scenes.

I liked both of those as well, the mid credit scene made me laugh, a bit like

Spoiler

in a doctor's appointment situation. He definitively is working on finding a new way to find out what to do and how to inquire. Or better said, he should work on it...  :D I'm speaking about his way to speak and ~ move.

In the spoiler tags are no real spoiler, but I prefer to give the reader the chance to still avoid even the slightest hint at anything, even guessed details.

As I waited for a Doctor Strange movie since they announced the MCU (I do like certain comics about/with him) I might be biased, but for me it is a 7.5-7.8/10, with some additional snippets it should/ could be a 8/10 or even a bit higher.  And I like the MCU in general (but not all of it's movies equally, with 4 I am not happy with, still not 'bad in absolute terms), don't have a problem with some details others criticize about the MCU, but have other ones with some/ a few.

I'll try to watch it again in English too, that might change my rating up or down, as I learned in the past.

For me the complexity of a story is (way) more important than e.g. pace, that is meant in general and not connected to the movie, only for the ones ho do not know me.

About villains:

Spoiler

I do not need a special / great / 'Joker' villain in an introduction movie when the main character's movie is clearly a 1st in ??? parts, and in this case the future villain might be interesting.

I very rarely give 10/10, so for me a 8 is a rather good rating.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, fmpro said:

BOM?

yes

Not sure how it was meant, just in case:

the New Zealnd number is not included into BOM's $122.34m foreign numbers.

$122.34m is dated 2 November and should include the Wednesday numbers outside the American continent or at least Asian / Australian,... (time zone wise)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel716.htm

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

So, 310+ million worldwide by the end of this weekend?

Sadly I haven't had time the last some months so I am not up-to-date about exchange rates changes...

The $132.9m OS are according to BOM the results of 3 November.

China OD shouldn't be included in that number (I am guessing) as it opened 4 November. Maybe midnights? The same could ount for part of New Zealand's OD???

It will open in so many countries this weekend, that if will be opened in 92% of all territories, if I remember it right. That includes the 33 (??) territories of last weekend. In those territories they reached +49% in comparison to Ant-Man, if I remember the details right

To give an example how much the US$ result might differ, see here the example Rubel - US$

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=USD&view=5Y

Often a e.g. part 2 movie makes much more in local currency, but still less in US$...

I am GUESSING Doctor Strange might make over $35m OW in China alone (might be also over $40m), ...

US might get an OW of $70m+ (some speak of over $80m)

In Germany it looks like only loosing only a few percentages in comparison to last weekend = means $4m+? for the weekend

South Korea made Thursday and Friday together nearly $2.5m, stands at $23,797,647 including Friday, had an OW of ~ $18m

Mexico thread says it has good legs...

Here the release dates per country according to IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/releaseinfo

See Japan, maybe good maybe not so good results here too, depends a lot e.g. on local movies, hoy much they like the leads,...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Oh nice. I've never had much luck finding NZ box office numbers outside of MPDA so that's a cool breakdown. I'll be contributing again on Sunday in IMAX 3D. :D

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart/New-Zealand

You can change from US$ view to NZ$, the chart is longer there (it's too OT IMHO for a film's thread)

Weekend New Zealand Chart for October 28th, 2016 (USD)

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Genre Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 new Doctor Strange Adventure $724,984   178 $4,073   $734,135 3
2 (1) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Action $163,691 -49% 82 $1,996   $626,360 10
3 (2) Girl on the Train, The Thriller/Suspense $94,416 -32% 112 $843   $1,246,502 24
4 new Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Drama $80,342   23 $3,493   $80,342 3
5 (4) Keeping Up With the Joneses Comedy $52,086 -42% 72 $723   $187,437 10
6 (5) Bridget Jones's Baby Romantic Comedy $50,638 -43% 74 $684   $2,360,920 45
7 (3) Inferno Thriller/Suspense $48,271 -55% 83 $582   $573,189 17
8 new I, Daniel Blake Drama $47,553   26 $1,829   $97,260 3
9 (6) Ouija: Origin of Evil Horror $39,869 -45% 36 $1,107   $144,691 10
10 (19) Hell or High Water Thriller/Suspense $39,326 +496% 32 $1,229   $49,398 10

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gamora said:

Oh nice. I've never had much luck finding NZ box office numbers outside of MPDA so that's a cool breakdown. I'll be contributing again on Sunday in IMAX 3D. :D

That site started posting AUS and NZ a few months ago. 

• Like 1