Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Marigold is getting best picture and best director nods. Book it.

I'll bet you Madden doesn't get a BD nom. Competition is way too tight this year. Bigelow, Affleck and Speilberg are locks to be nominated. Then you have Lee, Russell, Tarantino, Hooper and Anderson competing for the last two slots. I won't rule BP out because the SAG obviously remembered the movie.Locks:ArgoLincolnZero Dark ThirtyLes MiserablesSilver Linings PlaybookLiklies:Life of PiMoonrise KingdomDjango UnchainedLongshots:AmourThe ImpossibleBeasts of the Southern WildBest Exotic Marigold Hotel Edited by Gopher

I'll bet you Madden doesn't get a BD nom. Competition is way too tight this year. Bigelow, Affleck and Speilberg are locks to be nominated. Then you have Lee, Russell, Tarantino, Hooper and Anderson competing for the last two slots. I won't rule BP out because the SAG obviously remembered the movie.Locks:ArgoLincolnZero Dark ThirtyLes MiserablesSilver Linings PlaybookLiklies:Life of PiMoonrise KingdomDjango UnchainedLongshots:AmourThe ImpossibleBeasts of the Southern WildBest Exotic Marigold Hotel

Master?

I still think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close took too much crap last year. It wasn't a great movie, but there are worse movies that have been in the conversation for Best Picture.I wonder if there's an Extremely Loud type lurking this year. Maybe Flight? I do think this year is more competitive than last, but if voters are going to go for something that has a clear emotional message and delivers it quite loudly, Flight could be their guy. (And I say this as someone who liked that film a whole lot.) I highly doubt it will happen, but then, none of us thought Extremely Loud had a snowball's chance in hell of making the cut last year, so...

Agree with Extremely Loud, I understand why people don't like it but it's not as bad its online reputation tells it so.If there's an Extremely Loud shocker nominee lurking in I'm betting on Looper Edited by forg

My predictions I'm going with 9 just like last year1. Argo2. Lincoln3, Zero Dark Thirty4. Silver Linings Playbook5. Les Miserables6. Django Unchained7. Life of Pi8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel9. The Master (I think those who really LOVED it could be enough for a 5% vote)

Agreed that The Impossible is the closest analog to ELAIC this year. I still can't shake the feeling that it might get in.

Don't think it's prestigious enough. ELAIC was about an American catastrophe, directed by Academy Darling Steven Daldry, produced by Academy Darling Scott Rudin, starring Best Actress frontrunner (at the time) Viola Davis, Academy Award Winner Sandra Bullock, Academy Award Winner Tom Hanks, and Super respected veteran Max Von Sydow. The Impossible is directed by a relative nobody, and the biggest name attached to the entire production (Academy-recognition wise) is Naomi Watts. If there was to be an ELAIC this year it'd be The Impossible, but I don't think it will happen. The impossible has a lot less behind the scenes going for it than ELAIC did.

I hope The Master sneaks in. (After all, the Academy still owes him for passing over Boogie Nights and Magnolia.) I think there's a chance it will, occupying the tiny-but-passionately-supported slot of A Serious Man, Winter's Bone, and The Tree of Life. But is that support really there? It seems like it has lost a lot of steam since its release in the fall.

I hope The Master sneaks in. (After all, the Academy still owes him for passing over Boogie Nights and Magnolia.) I think there's a chance it will, occupying the tiny-but-passionately-supported slot of A Serious Man, Winter's Bone, and The Tree of Life. But is that support really there? It seems like it has lost a lot of steam since its release in the fall.

I doubt The Master gets anything outside of Best Actor. It's practically a box office bomb, and its very polarizing.

My predictions I'm going with 9 just like last year1. Argo2. Lincoln3, Zero Dark Thirty4. Silver Linings Playbook5. Les Miserables6. Django Unchained7. Life of Pi8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel9. The Master (I think those who really LOVED it could be enough for a 5% vote)

Bitch please. Dark Knight Rises would take Marigold Hotel's spot.You usually have the mega-blockbuster spot with the Best Picture nominees.In 2010 we had Inception and in 2009 we had Avatar.Plus, if Inception can grasp a BP nod, I don't see why TDKR can't.Also, The Master is dividing voters, and its essentially the dark horse this year.