Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I don't think Moonrise is getting in. It's possible but Beasts and even The Master are probably ahead of it. PGA was never going to acknowledge The Master anyways, so I wouldn't put much stock in Moonrise's PGA nom (though it certainly gives it far better chances than a snub would).

The Master isn't scoring at any awards ceremonies, and it's disappeared after only 4 months.I don't think if only getting a nomination at the CCA is enough to make the cut.If it gets a nom at the DGAs, possible, but at this stage, no.

NO WAY Skyfall gets in. It is not happening within this system nor should it.

If there are 10 nominees this year, I think it will get in. The PGA has nominated it as one of the ten best.

Skyfall being nominated for bp would be a travesty. There, I said it. It was very well done and entertaining. Should it forever be referred to as "best picture nominee"? No. As for the Master, what the hell was Weinstein thinking? He's all but dropped the ball on two films this year. That and SLP (box office wise). He knows django would never be in contention for best pic. He should at least be pulling out all the stops to get Phoenix nominated. Such a shame that more and more guilds and awards in general are snubbing genuinely great films for those with ample hype.

• Like 3

Only Argo, Les Mis, Lincoln, ZDT, and SLP are locks. The rest depend on the # of nominees. I have doubts that with such a strong 5 films that the other films will all fail to make the magical prerequisite number of #1 votes.

LOP is a lock too.

Interesting tidbit: The only film in recent memory that got NBR, BFCA, AFI and Producer's Guild nominations and missed a Best Picture Nomination was The Town. This year, Argo, Lincoln, Django, Les Miserables, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty and BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD got all four. Moonrise and Life of Pi got three because they missed NBR, but so did Moneyball, The Help, Midnight in Paris, The Kids Are All Right, 127 Hours, and Precious, so the precedent is there. No BP nom in recent years except for The Blind Side has gotten in without picking up one of these precursors. This means that The Master and Skyfall have a chance, but Impossible, Marigold, and the rest of the field are longshots.

It's not a 'number one' film. There is also no such thing as the blockbuster spot.

Well, what works in SF's favour is that the PGA uses a weighted voting system similar to the Academy's. The Academy's just places a sightlier heavier emphasis on the #1 votes. Skyfall has proven that it can make it through a weighted voting system so it's not improbable that it can also make a BP nom. (I don't care if people say that it doesn't deserve it, I personally do, and it'd be great to see a blockbuster back in the lineup.)

Skyfall being nominated for bp would be a travesty. There, I said it. It was very well done and entertaining. Should it forever be referred to as "best picture nominee"? No.As for the Master, what the hell was Weinstein thinking? He's all but dropped the ball on two films this year. That and SLP (box office wise). He knows django would never be in contention for best pic. He should at least be pulling out all the stops to get Phoenix nominated. Such a shame that more and more guilds and awards in general are snubbing genuinely great films for those with ample hype.

Skyfall is much better than Life of Pi.

Interesting tidbit:The only film in recent memory that got NBR, BFCA, AFI and Producer's Guild nominations and missed a Best Picture Nomination was The Town. This year, Argo, Lincoln, Django, Les Miserables, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty and BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD got all four. Moonrise and Life of Pi got three because they missed NBR, but so did Moneyball, The Help, Midnight in Paris, The Kids Are All Right, 127 Hours, and Precious, so the precedent is there.No BP nom in recent years except for The Blind Side has gotten in without picking up one of these precursors. This means that The Master and Skyfall have a chance, but Impossible, Marigold, and the rest of the field are longshots.

The Town's Best Picture candidacy was so odd. It had no heat in any other category apart from Jeremy Renner for Supporting Actor, and yet it kept showing up in the expanded Best Picture precursors.I still think a Skyfall nomination is unlikely, but I'd like to see it happen. James Bond is one of the most iconic and enduring franchises in the history of film, and Skyfall is arguably the best that the franchise has had to offer in several decades. They might as well recognize it now, as it may be a while before the franchise hits the bullseye again.

I still think a Skyfall nomination is unlikely, but I'd like to see it happen. James Bond is one of the most iconic and enduring franchises in the history of film, and Skyfall is arguably the best that the franchise has had to offer in several decades. They might as well recognize it now, as it may be a while before the franchise hits the bullseye again.

If Mendes directs Bond 24 and 25, I can see it easily topping this one. Edited by riczhang