Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I agree that it should be given due consideration in all of those categories. The visual elements in Anderson's films are so consistently excellent that it's surprising none of them have scored noms in art direction, costumes, or cinematography.

I think The Master will win Best Picture, Director and one for acting with either Hoffman or Phoenix.My dream scenario would be that Django Unchained is as good as Pulp Fiction, and wins Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay.

I think Amy Adams is really likely to take Supporting Actress for it. She's been nominated 3 times in the past 7 years and this just looks like the perfect time to give it to her. The only real competition I see at this point is Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables (unless Helen Hunt in The Sessions is pushed as supporting). Maybe Sally Field in Lincoln but she's won twice already and, with all due respect, she ain't Meryl Streep.This is shaping up to be a very interesting year for PTA and QT's Academy chances not just because they both have a movie coming out, but because they are pretty much the only heavy contenders without a previous win. Ang Lee, Peter Jackson, Hooper, Bigelow all have won Oscars in the past decade. Spielberg has two from the 90's. That is what makes me believe that whether or not The Master wins Best Picture, at least PTA has a really good chance to win for Director - unless the Academy wants to reward, say, Lee or Spielberg yet again, they just won't be able to find a "safe" (i.e. what Hooper was to Fincher) alternative to PTA.And I have to wonder where Django should fall in all of this. Tarantino is my favorite working filmmaker and Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, IMO, both should have won Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay. For Anderson, There Will Be Blood should have cleaned up the same way. But, thanks to the Academy, after almost 20 years they have just one Oscar between the two of them (Pulp's for Original Screenplay) and this year they are competing against each other. It's difficult not to root for both at the same time.

The possibility of PTA and Tarantino being the lead contenders makes me giddy (provided, of course, that their films deliver; given their past work, though, I don't see much chance that either film won't). It's not unheard of to have two unconventional contenders, either; the Coen brothers and PTA himself had the top nomination earners in 2007, after all.

Yeah, Amy Adams is a great actress. Its just that I read some tweets from early reactions that said Hoffman and Phoenix were astounding in this. Might have been hyperbole, who knows?I haven't seen The Hurt Locker, which won the year Basterds was nominated, so cant speak on that one. And I prefer No Country for Old Men over There Will Be Blood. I think its almost atrocious that neither Boogie Nights nor Magnolia were even nominated for Best Picture.And Pulp Fiction should have also won Best Picture, Director and Supporting Actor.

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

The possibility of PTA and Tarantino being the lead contenders makes me giddy (provided, of course, that their films deliver; given their past work, though, I don't see much chance that either film won't). It's not unheard of to have two unconventional contenders, either; the Coen brothers and PTA himself had the top nomination earners in 2007, after all.

Agreed. Those situations are rare and I think that if anyone was to take the Oscars from PTA in 2007, the Coens were by far the best alternative. No Country is a fantastic film. And to be fair, Bigelow wasn't exactly conventional, either, I just love IB much more than THL and with that having been Tarantino's second chance to score it big at the Oscars, in addition to the film having won the main prize from the SAG, it was a shame to see Basterds come so close and still not get anything other than a statue for Waltz.Another curious thing is that this year, The Master and Django (as well as Andrew Dominik's Killing Them Softly) both have Harvey Weinstein backing them, and he just got to distribute two BP / BD winners in a row.

Yeah, Amy Adams is a great actress. Its just that I read some tweets from early reactions that said Hoffman and Phoenix were astounding in this. Might have been hyperbole, who knows?

I don't think it was hyperbole. They are both masters (sorry) of their craft and working with PTA, I wouldn't expect them to be anything less than astounding. But I think Phoenix and Adams are more likely to win Oscars than Hoffman because the latter has won one recently, and the competition could be strong (I'm dying to see Di Caprio's and Samuel L. Jackson's performances in DU in their entirety).

I don't think I've done predictions here, so I guess I'll start before the festivals come around in a couple weeks.1. Lincoln2. Les Miserables3. The Master4. Life Of Pi5. Argo6. The Sessions7. Beasts of the Southern Wild8. Moonrise Kingdom9. Anna Karenina10. Django UnchainedHmmmm, I think maybe 7/8 of them get nominated.

• Like 1

The Avengers made a ton of money and got warm reviews, but it will not make the cut for Best Picture. If anything, it reminds me of the first Spider-Man, which got strong reviews and sold about as many tickets as Avengers after the latter's 3D bump is removed. Spider-Man didn't come anywhere near Best Picture, and probably still would not have done so had there been more than five nominees. Avengers will more likely than not follow suit.

The Master will certainly be great. Les Miserables sounds like Oscar bait. The one I'm wondering about is if Lincoln will be a return to form for Spielberg or if it'll be another War Horse.

It is 100% Oscar bait. But if Hooper pulls it off then it'll also be 100% amazing.
  • Like 1

Also, what does this mean for Anna Karenina?

The movie could not be very good but could still win Oscars for Costumes or Art Direction, because judging by the trailer the look of the film is great. The movie actually comes out here in the UK in 13 days, so I guess we should know pretty soon if it's not a real contender for the big prizes.