#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

I've been one of the biggest advocates for the effect huge sporting events can have on Box Office. I was one of the first and the loudest to say the fight was gonna damage AOU big time. AND I've said that I think Star Wars, sadly, is going to have a pretty precarious drop over the weekend. But even I think the two things are completely unrelated. I can't see Star Wars again this weekend because I have two Xmas parties and I have to do all my shopping. Even if I could, no friends would be able to go, because they're either all going to church or travelling. It's the biggest shopping weekend of the year. The biggest church weekend of the year. The biggest family-style party weekend of the year. The biggest travelling weekend of the year. It is by no means the biggest sports weekend of the year, or even close. Hell, with everything else going on, I expect the NFL's impact to be much, much LOWER than usual in damaging movies this weekend. So I gotta agree with jandrew. To say "THE NFL!!" is the big reason movies drop this weekend, and ignore that it's literally the busiest weekend of the year in four or five other regards, is faulty logic. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

GiantCalBears is clearly angry and jealous. He was also going on yesterday about how DH2 still had the midnight record because it had less showings or something 

I predicted $227.7m for OW so clearly I believed in the power of this release. Because I think Sunday's drop will be larger than many are expecting I'm angry & jealous. Please lol. Thanks for the attention though John.

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Oooh that's on the high end of predictions.  ~194K shows Fri-Sun plus 25-35K from previews.  Easily over 220 for the 3.5 day period.  Doubt AOU or JW were that high.

65000 shows today means a lot of business capacity, there's room for 11-12M tickets to be sold (>$140M given that we'd be including ALL 3D/premium tickets).  Needs about 72M for 250, probably 80M for Saturday attendance record. 

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Don't forget there will be a ton of people who have decided to see the film Christmas weekend.

Today will also be the final free Christmas shopping day for a lot of people.

This is a huge point that shouldn't be missed.  The last weekend for holiday shopping is a huge factor.

This is December. Not summer.  All of the normal increases and decreases that people are used to applying to get numbers are thrown out the window.

The force is strong but so is Christmas shopping. We'll see which wins out.

The pre sales data that was released indicated that only 55% of the pre sales were for this weekend and that the majority of that 55% was for Thursday and Friday. So that means imo, that Saturday and Sunday will get most of the business from walk ups.

This is uncharted territory here. Can't wait to see where the journey takes us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Saying anything about the NFL having an effect is "proof", but saying something like CHURCH or travel during Xmas break having an effect and its "anecdotal"...lol.

How you and your friends view fantasy football & your personal history is the anecdotal part. Nice try.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've been one of the biggest advocates for the effect huge sporting events can have on Box Office. I was one of the first and the loudest to say the fight was gonna damage AOU big time. AND I've said that I think Star Wars, sadly, is going to have a pretty precarious drop over the weekend. But even I think the two things are completely unrelated. I can't see Star Wars again this weekend because I have two Xmas parties and I have to do all my shopping. Even if I could, no friends would be able to go, because they're either all going to church or travelling. It's the biggest shopping weekend of the year. The biggest church weekend of the year. The biggest family-style party weekend of the year. The biggest travelling weekend of the year. It is by no means the biggest sports weekend of the year, or even close. Hell, with everything else going on, I expect the NFL's impact to be much, much LOWER than usual in damaging movies this weekend. So I gotta agree with jandrew. To say "THE NFL!!" is the big reason movies drop this weekend, and ignore that it's literally the busiest weekend of the year in four or five other regards, is faulty logic. 

TELL DA TRUF!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Don't forget there will be a ton of people who have decided to see the film Christmas weekend.

This is true too. Plenty of reasons for people to wait. They want to avoid the crowds, sold out shows, they won't to see it with family that's coming in town in the next couple days, they want to the magic of watching on Xmas day, they have other obligations (church, travel,...fantasy football lol, etc), etc.

I'm seeing it Monday or Tuesday, then will probably see it again in January with the gf. A lot going on this weekend for people to rush. Makes this ~240M opening that much more impressive.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

A thing to note since previews came on the scene  after tdkr...no major film has decreased from Friday on saturday.

I don't see Sw7 starting this trend.

Ultron stayed even but its sat was compromised so I'd say in effect it doesn't count. However here's 2 off the top of my head:

Furious 7

Thu 15.8

Fri 51.6

Sat 46.6

Sun 33.2

Transformers 4

Thu 8.75

Fri 33.1

Sat 32.4

Sun 25.7