#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

There's other films besides TFA?

What blasphemy is this. 

What? Point Break's not gonna take TFA's opening weekend record from it, and claims its title as the true Christmas release of the season? I object! 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Believe it or not, but not everyone is going to the cinema's just to see SW7.

btw:- regarding AVATAR, great film from a technical point of view, but as a film story, i found it very mediocre. People only went to see the film so they could wear those cheap plastic 3D glasses.:D

5 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Titanic would be a better comparison.   Opened last shopping weekend before Christmas and was well received. 

-12.8% drop

Except it's not really because it increased 23.3% on its Saturday & was 18 years ago when the climate was a lot different and ended up w/ a 20x multiplier lol.

9 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

120m

64m

50m

Looks like 231-235m will be where it lands.

The current estimate coming from Disney for SW7 is down to $220 mil

SW7 may get to $50 mil on Sunday, absolute tops.

Edited by mepal1

29 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Except it's not really because it increased 23.3% on its Saturday & was 18 years ago when the climate was a lot different and ended up w/ a 20x multiplier lol.

It increased on it's Sat and had a better drop on Sun because it was well received.

TL was not well received which is why it is not a great comparison. 

You never admit when you're wrong do you?

We are in uncharted territory here and it's hard to find a decent comparison.  

So you go back and find the closest match that makes your point.

You should have ignored your personal feelings and went back and found the most comparable match.

• Like 1

Not a bad Sat for such a massive preview number, but I won't lie about being disappointed it didn't really go  up minus previews. Thought it for sure would. At any rate, I do know TONS of people going for Xmas next weekend, even if they've already seen it, so next weekend should be massive again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Off-topic but why can't I change my display name anymore? Do I need to have a special account for that? I wanted to change for iJack Skywalker but I can't find where I can change it. 

You've to have premium account. 

Just now, Darth AndyLL said:

It increased on it's Sat and had a better drop on Sun because it was well received.

TL was not well received which is why it is not a great comparison. 

You never admit when you're wrong do you?

We are in uncharted territory here and it's hard to find a decent comparison.  

So you go back and find the closest match that makes your point.

You should have ignored your personal feelings and went back and found the most comparable match.

TL ex previews was basically flat Friday-Saturday just like TFA, Titanic was not & jumped 23%. TL ended up w/ a 3.9x multiplier which will be in the same digit as TFA (3-4x at absolute best case) Titanic was a 20x. TL was a 3D/IMAX release which had similar surcharges to TFA, Titanic was released in 1997 & was #1 for 16 weeks in a row lol. Admit I'm wrong because your comparison makes no sense? Ok then.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

TL ex previews was basically flat Friday-Saturday just like TFA, Titanic was not & jumped 23%. TL ended up w/ a 3.9x multiplier which will be in the same digit as TFA (3-4x at absolute best case) Titanic was a 20x. TL was a 3D/IMAX release which had similar surcharges to TFA, Titanic was released in 1997 & was #1 for 16 weeks in a row lol. Admit I'm wrong because your comparison makes no sense? Ok then.

Titanic's Saturday jump should have cause a bigger Sunday drop.

How dos 3d/IMAX  have anything to do with a single movies daily drops?  Is TFA awakening losing IMAX on Sunday so it'll drop more? LOL