#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

My co-worker told me what happened to him tonight. This older woman (I guess not older, maybe in her 40's) was looking at the descriptions of all our movies and he asked her if she needed help.

"do you have any adult movies playing this evening?"

"well, I just saw In the Heart of the Sea and it's pretty dark and mature"

"no no no I mean, ADULT films"

"..."

"..."

"... We don't play those here."

• Like 5

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

I do think Star Wars can definitely break that. Even in the winter.

Say if it drops from 69m Saturday to a 58m Sunday to beat the record. That'll be a 15% drop (if my math is right). If the reports of spillover in Sunday is correct, it might be doable.

• Like 1

Early Sunday Tally

Sold Out: 18

Showings: 77

Gargantuan for Sunday in December (or any time of year on 2nd thought), a number of shows that are already at between 75-85% capacity that will most likely be sellouts tomorrow as well.

Edited by B J
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

I do think Star Wars can definitely break that. Even in the winter.

Going to be tough…I think Disney's estimate will be $55m for a $245m ow estimate...

$121m

$69m

$55m (-20%)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GuardianDevil said:

So what's the all time Sunday record? I have a feeling it may be shattered tomorrow.

Jurassic World Uni. $57,207,49

1 minute ago, FTF said:

Sub 10% just seems impossible to me with it being the last weekend day to Christmas shop, etc.  Its goal should be JW and TA 18% Sun drop.

People keep trying to fit TFA into normal Christmas patterns.

Sooner or later we need to throw out what we think we believe about movies in December.

The train is not stopping tonight....

@Rthis not going to be getting any sleep this week... for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

People keep trying to fit TFA into normal Christmas patterns.

Sooner or later we need to throw out what we think we believe about movies in December.

Looks pretty normal to me so far, except for the fact that it's on a much bigger scale.

Edited by Elessar

6 minutes ago, B J said:

Early Sunday Tally

Sold Out: 18

Showings: 77

Gargantuan for Sunday in December (or any time of year on 2nd thought), a number of shows that are already at between 75-85% capacity that will most likely be sellouts tomorrow as well.

The fact that we're tracking sellouts on the 4th day of release tells us all we need to know.

• Like 3

10TH UPDATE, Sunday 12AM: Tonight is coming in better than anticipated with industry analysts putting Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Saturday between $65.5M-$68.7M. That’s a -43% to -46% decline from Friday’s opening day record of $120.5M, which includes $57M in Thursday previews. While Force Awakens’ Saturday doesn’t beat Jurassic World‘s record, it jumps the opening weekend estimates for Episode VII back up to $238M-$244M.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-thursday-night-previews-1201669166/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

My co-worker told me what happened to him tonight. This older woman (I guess not older, maybe in her 40's) was looking at the descriptions of all our movies and he asked her if she needed help.

"do you have any adult movies playing this evening?"

"well, I just saw In the Heart of the Sea and it's pretty dark and mature"

"no no no I mean, ADULT films"

"..."

"..."

"... We don't play those here."

lmao!

Sat Increase minus previews is good.  Any Frontloadedness should be avoided since we all know Christmas and New Year's are the next two weeks so I expect soft weekend drops ala "Avatar".    Anything above 208 in December is beyond a mega success but 230-240 is out of this world.   I predicted 288 and was hoping for 140 OD.  But I feel this movie is on pace to dethone "Jurassic, Titanic and Avatar" Domestically. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1