#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

If this does pass Avatar, I hope it does so by a significant enough amount that Cameron can't rerelease Avatar in Smell-O-Vision and retake the top spot. Still kinda bummed that the 3D rerelease of Titanic kept Avengers from overtaking it.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

I dunno, a Best Picture nom feels unlikely. It'll get technical noms for sure, but I don't see any others. If it does get a Best Pic nom, Fury Road better get one, too.

AVATAR managed to get one so it wouldn't be that far-fetched.

1 minute ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

James Cameron delays avatar 2 until 2040. Working on a new technology that will put audience in film.  

Tickets cost $1 million each. A million rich people see it causing it to gross $1 Trillion WW. Cameron tops the box office until the end of times. 

• Like 2

If Monday is over $40M, which is looking increasingly likely, I don't know how it misses $50M for Christmas. Avatar's second Friday was 41% ahead of its first Monday, so TFA seeing a ~25% increase should be doable, especially given we know Christmas had the third highest presales prior to the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

I don't always wear my glasses as they can give me headaches. :) I need new eye test but $$$$.

I feel very lucky to have 20/20, especially since my mom and dad both wear glasses. Sister also has 20/20. My mom's sister and her daughter both have horrible vision. Cousin was wearing glasses from very young age, similar to my mom.

Sounds bizarre but I'm in a way kinda jealous of the US's unreserved seating thing. All of the UK is reserved so on the plus side you can book a great seat and turn up as its starting if you wanted to... But on weekends like this I can imagine the excitement of waiting in line with hundreds of other fans, you almost have to make a day of it. The anticaption must be great. 

Like I said, kind of. :P 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I dunno, a Best Picture nom feels unlikely. It'll get technical noms for sure, but I don't see any others. If it does get a Best Pic nom, Fury Road better get one, too.

I think Fury Road is a banker anyway. 

I'm going on record saying Star Wars is in. You can all flame me if I'm wrong in a few weeks! :P

Just now, Dan9 said:

Sounds bizarre but I'm in a way kinda jealous of the US's unreserved seating thing. All of the UK is reserved so on the plus side you can book a great seat and turn up as its starting if you wanted to... But on weekends like this I can imagine the excitement of waiting in line with hundreds of other fans, you almost have to make a day of it. The anticaption must be great. 

queuing in a line for hours is probably a lot better in your head than in reality. and when was the last time you talked to anyone else in a line, come on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

AVATAR managed to get one so it wouldn't be that far-fetched.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it does. If that happens, and if Stallone gets a Supporting Actor nod, I might actually watch the Oscars for the first time in forever.

6 minutes ago, Orestes said:

If this does pass Avatar, I hope it does so by a significant enough amount that Cameron can't rerelease Avatar in Smell-O-Vision and retake the top spot. Still kinda bummed that the 3D rerelease of Titanic kept Avengers from overtaking it.

Lucasarts will just release TFA on the same weekend. 

Just now, Dan9 said:

Yeah you say this in theory, but in practice the UK has it right. The only reserved seating at my local Regal is for IMAX and Regal's PLF brand RPX. I gladly pay extra for the RPX reserved seats over going to a regular show and dealing with the free for all to get a decent seat. Plus RPX is a much bigger screen of course, lol.

• Like 1