#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, VGPOP said:

How's everyone derby's so far?

Mine is looking rather weak....lol

Mine is super dead. Sisters and Alvin are doing way better than what I was expecting against a 100M+ OD.

• Like 1

Look at the slate of games on tomorrow. Nothing screams blockbuster, "i HAVE to stay home and watch." 

Like Kelli said, maybe if your team is on the verge of playoffs, but thats it. The Steelers/Broncos is the only game imo thats significant this weekend.

NFL will have a bigger inpact once playoffs start in a couple weeks, but for this weekend? I cant see it.

SW is an event people have been waiting on for 10 years, whos been waiting on the Seahawks/Browns?...

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 5

Btw, doesn't that 56% Friday increase for The Good Dinosaur seem too low? It isn't even losing that many theaters and Creed and HG both of which lost more theaters both increased more than it. 

Edited by Infernus

1 minute ago, CJ Ren said:

Mine is super dead. Sisters and Alvin are doing way better than what I was expecting against a 100M+ OD.

Yeah, I was expecting sub 10m OW, especially with how everything else was performing leading up to Star Wars.  I guess sellouts have helped them in a way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Star Wars increased the NFL ratings when it debuted its trailer.  It's also not like it's the Super Bowl, they're less important games today.  Star Wars is a movie people won't skip to watch football.

That's your opinion, not reality. Go back through holiday releases & look at the Sunday drops for a bunch of different films recently from I Am Legend, to the Hobbit to Tron Legacy in comparison to theSaturday holds too. The only thing to hold well on that Sunday pre holiday last decade was Avatar & there was a huge snowstorm that Friday & Saturday which clearly affected the OW holds.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Spizzer, BOM has the screen count at 14,300. My guess is TA2 has the screen record due to higher theater count and zero competition in early May. 

Makes sense.  Was that in the Friday report? Did they list show times?

Mind-blowing for Star Wars. I'll admit that I held out on thinking it would beat Harry Potter's daily record until this week, but it all makes sense considering the HUGE amount of hype surrounding it, December opening theories be damned.

That being said, while the opening record is obviously going to be a slam dunk, I'm skeptical of whether it can reach Jurassic's Saturday record of nearly $70 million. Whereas the fan base (and plenty of general audiences) showed up in full force on opening day, this point may be where we start to see business spread out further over the coming holiday weekdays. That being said, though, it's still in for a mind-bogglingly huge weekend number regardless of how it holds up today and tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Look at the slate of games on tomorrow. Nothing screams blockbuster, "i HAVE to stay home and watch." 

Like Kelli said, maybe if your team is on the verge of playoffs, but thats it. The Steelers/Broncos is the only game imo thats significant this weekend.

NFL will have a bigger inpact once playoffs start in a couple weeks, but for this weekend? I cant see it.

SW is an event people have been waiting on for 10 years, whos been waiting on the Seahawks/Browns?...

SW will be in theaters for 8 months, it's fantasy football playoffs & the last huge week for daily fantasy. You don't know what you are talking about honestly.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's your opinion, not reality. Go back through holiday releases & look at the Sunday drops for a bunch of different films recently from I Am Legend, to the Hobbit to Tron Legacy in comparison to theSaturday holds too. The only thing to hold well on that Sunday pre holiday last decade was Avatar & there was a huge snowstorm that Friday & Saturday which clearly affected the OW holds.

Thats also your opinion that its NFL, you have no clear proof. For all we know, it could be because of all day Xmas church services.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I don't even think the Seahawks and Browns are excited 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

SW will be in theaters for 8 months, it's fantasy football playoffs & the last huge week for daily fantasy. You don't know what you are talking about honestly.

"You dont know what youre talking about"

Now THATS how you debate!!!

• Like 3