#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

15 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

I always find it a little strange that BO previews, in this case Thursday are added to the Friday figure, as sometimes previews can be a full BO day.

The reality is that SW7 has made somewhere around $63+ mil for its Friday take (and not $120+ mil)  in North America, and $57 mil for Thursdays take.

It just goes back to the midnight tradition. When a movie like ROTS, TDK, New Moon, or DH2 opened at midnight, technically the money was part of Opening Day but in reality those midnight screenings provided a ton of extra showtimes for Opening Day. Hollywood is just continuing that tradition with earlier shows Thursday night. 

• Like 3

Decent Friday finally, Star Wars is placing records in the books with an incredible 120 million which will give it a possible 240 million OW. Decent debut for Sisters it should hold up well in the holidays and should make about at least between 14-15 million this weekend. Chipmunks weren't too far behind and faced the lowest grossing OD for the kids 80's cartoon revive and should probably make 14.3 million for the weekend and hold up ok in the weeks to come.

8 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Decent Friday finally, Star Wars is placing records in the books with an incredible 120 million which will give it a possible 240 million OW. Decent debut for Sisters it should hold up well in the holidays and should make about at least between 14-15 million this weekend. Chipmunks weren't too far behind and faced the lowest grossing OD for the kids 80's cartoon revive and should probably make 14.3 million for the weekend and hold up ok in the weeks to come.

I'm not sure "decent" is the right word :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'm expecting a strong Saturday increase. Friday was unusually tame at my theater but my coworker told me 1800 tickets for Saturday had already been sold when we closed on Friday. That's unheard of so I'm thinking Saturday record should fall. 73-75m is my prediction for today.

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 4

I think the gap between movies will shorten, they're just being conservative at the moment. If for example Rogue One is a great success, they'll make a sequel to that. If a spin off is not so successful, they'll go with something else etc etc. MCU didn't have 3-4 movies a year at first...  

Personally I'm not a fan of exploring the backstory of older characters like Solo either, give original characters and stories, not recasting iconic characters.

1 minute ago, blackspider said:

I'm expecting a strong Saturday increase. Friday was unusually tame at my theater but my coworker told me 1800 tickets for Saturday had already been sold when we closed on Friday. That's unheard of so I'm thinking Saturday record should fall. 73-75m is my prediction for today.

We could have a case where this behaves like a Thursday opener; Saturday increase ends up behaving like a normal weekend instead of a big weekend.  Clones and Sith in May jumped 20 and 28% on Saturday after a Thursday opening.  Obviously the issue is that there's no proper comparison for a December film that did 57M Thursday night.  But something to watch for, as it wouldn't even take record Saturday attendance to hit high 70s.

• Like 1