#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing to remember is this technically is deflated numbers compared to if this open on jw or Ta weekend.

Which makes this more impressive.

Spizzer do you think with your wisdom that TFA can do 60m+ friday bizz?

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I know Thursday previews were enormous, but Friday business being < than Thursday would surprise me. There still seems to be a ton of demand, even with a lot more showtimes.

I think there's no way that ends up happening.  Presales are gigantic and haven't even been 50% covered yet and sellouts/showtimes for Friday seem like they're at an all time high.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Disney stock is down 3% this morning guys. More has to do w/ ESPN & sell the news but still an interesting development on the numbers.

Like you said, it's probably just bad timing. Disney's cable networks are their biggest profit generators by far. Don't think it has anything to do with SW.

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I almost clicked the spoiler thread :ohmygod: One more day, one more day...........

Yeah, don't do that. Its plenty spoilery.

It was funny, after seeing it, the kids kept wanting to talk about key plot points, and we kept telling them to be quiet until we got to the car. I think the lines of people waiting to see the later shows would have beaten us to death if we'd had the full discussion right there.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, spizzer said:

I think there's no way that ends up happening.  Presales are gigantic and haven't even been 50% covered yet and sellouts/showtimes for Friday seem like they're at an all time high.

This will break all common convention. I think it goes way higher today.

• Like 1

Just now, Wrath said:

Yeah, don't do that. Its plenty spoilery. It was funny, after seeing it, the kids kept wanting to talk about key plot points, and we kept telling them to be quiet until we got to the car. I think the lines of people waiting to see the later shows would have beaten us to death if we'd had the full discussion right there.

Luckily, we had an empty train back home so we could discuss to our hearts content.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Yeah, don't do that. Its plenty spoilery.

It was funny, after seeing it, the kids kept wanting to talk about key plot points, and we kept telling them to be quiet until we got to the car. I think the lines of people waiting to see the later shows would have beaten us to death if we'd had the full discussion right there.

I always make sure the coast is clear when I discuss spoilers :lol: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

DH2 seems like the obvious comp, especially as the previous Preview Record holder. The same ratio gets SW about $115m for Friday.

I think that might be the floor though.  DH2 had a much smaller audience than this film will have and few major franchises are as frontloaded as HP.